TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Clicking noise when accelerating

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Oceans808, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Oceans808

Oceans808 Member

Anyone else have this issue. Started happening a week ago and it doesn't seem to go away. It's coming from the driver side it seems.

2. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

Do you have aero covers? They can click/creak. The click rate will be proportional to speed. It’s possible re-seating the cover would help.

3. magudaman

magudaman Member

I’m going in for service tomorrow for this issue (amongst others). The clicking appear to occur at a given torque almost like slack is being taken up somewhere. It then clicks again when the direction of force changes like brake to acceleration and vise versa. I will update here from what they tell me tomorrow.

4. huangbong

huangbong Member

I have an appointment for this exact same issue at the exact same service center on Monday. Please update us with what happens!

5. huangbong

huangbong Member

Doesn’t have anything to do with aero covers. It’s like a weird internal clicking noise that you can only hear when the windows are down.
    Related thread: Model 3 clicking sound near the rear wheel area

6. busaman

busaman Member

sounds like an outer c/v joint on one of the drive shafts is worn.

7. bobM3P

bobM3P Member

Yea, same issue.

8. magudaman

magudaman Member

No aero covers, they said they are going to replace the nut washer(???). When I get the car back I’m going to try to clairify what was replaced.

9. SDM3

SDM3 Member

I recently started hearing similar sound. Have had my model 3 for over a year and 12k miles. Wasn’t able to get an appointment until next week but will update what I hear.

10. magudaman

magudaman Member

This thread you linked to is the identical problem. We should merge these threads.

Tesla said it was the nut/washer on the rear axle. They replaced that part and the noise is gone. Let’s see how long it stays gone. I’m at 12600mi. All covered under warranty.

11. Oceans808

Oceans808 Member

Thanks for the responses everyone. It hasn't gone away, but I'm going to have it serviced in a coue of weeks. I'll provide an update. I dont have aero covers so I'm not sure if that's the problem. Its pretty annoying to be honest

12. Bonk3rs

Bonk3rs Member

Good to find this thread. I have the same issue. It click's when I tapp the accelerator in very low speed, and from a standstil to back and forward. From my point of view, the noise is coming from the driverside. And from somewhere in the suspension/driveshaft aerea.
    It's a Performance with 20" wheels, so no wheelcap.
    My servicecenter dont have a clue. So frustrating!
    I will follow this thread further.

13. jkeyser14

jkeyser14 Member

I had this issue a few months ago at 12k miles. Took two visits before Tesla gave up trying to fix it with grease and bolt tighteneing. They swapped the axle and axle washer and the problem dissapeared. Hopefully it doesn't come back in another 12k miles.

14. SammichLover

SammichLover Banned

You're driving one of the AWD versions?

Because mine does that occasionally, starting out from near standstill. Others have reported it as well and gotten it looked at.

15. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

Still wondering whether I have the same problem. The slight tapping/knocking from the front left only seems to happen as I accelerate or slow down, usually slower than 12mph or so. It’s very quiet - no one would notice it except me and maybe someone very attuned to Teslas, or listening for it. It’s quiet enough (and has not changed) that it makes me think it is mechanically something minor...

Just wondering if someone who has actually addressed this knows exactly what is wrong so I can just fix it myself - if it is actually as simple as tightening the axle nut or torquing a suspension bolt I’m inclined to do it myself. But obviously a half axle replacement I’d have to have the new part, so not an option...

It is not clear to me why a “loose axle nut” would result in this behavior though. I could understand defective CV joints with too much play or something like that. Or suspension creaking/tapping due to a loose bolt.

16. SammichLover

SammichLover Banned

I forget what the resolution on it was, but nothing I'm particularly worried about.

I actually only hear it when my window is rolled down.

17. Oceans808

Oceans808 Member

So I just finished up here at the service dealer and it turns out that it was indeed an axle issue that is common with the dual motor versions (as was stated previously). All good so far!

• Like x 2
  18. mact3333

mact3333 Member

There is like a 50 page thread about clicking noise coming front front suspension area on model S and X boards..it is a very well known prob in which there isn't a reliable fix evidently...about 1/3rd of the people seem to have it(based a poll)...may not be the same issue as model 3 owners as its a driveshaft issue for them...some have had the noise go away by lowering the car...its worse when car is cold and under hard acceleration...some have had it go away after having drive shaft replaced and then noise returns later.

You can youtube search it to see if its the same noise as you are describing.

• Informative x 1
  19. Perscitus

Perscitus Member

Sounds good. What was the fix in your case?

Only 2.5K miles on my non-P AWD with OE 19s and the clicking showed up... is exactly as described above. On acceleration and deceleration at low speeds... typically from a stop or coming to a stop. Regardless of cold or warm, after a long drive or just starting out... regen setting and chill vs standard makes no difference.

20. phtp

phtp Member

Is it a single click sound during acceleration and when you let go and regen breaking kicks in?