Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking noise when accelerating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mobile tech re-torquing the axle notes fixed this issue for me. HOWEVER, it keeps coming back every 10,000 miles. I've had 2 service appointments for it now. The tool they use seems cheap, and the job is simple enough. I'm thinking about buying a proper torque wrench and doing it myself every 10k miles or so. I'm a bit worried about why this is an issue on a new car. Fortunately, it's the only issue after 25k miles.

Mobile tech re-torquing the axle notes fixed this issue for me. HOWEVER, it keeps coming back every 10,000 miles. I've had 2 service appointments for it now. The tool they use seems cheap, and the job is simple enough. I'm thinking about buying a proper torque wrench and doing it myself every 10k miles or so. I'm a bit worried about why this is an issue on a new car. Fortunately, it's the only issue after 25k miles.

Any idea what the torque spec is?

Didn't seem to help much. Thinking back, the mobile tech seemed to do a little more than simply tighten the bolt.... he had me put it in neutral for a minute while he turned it. I don't know enough about the anatomy of a Tesla to speculate on what he did. I really wish I knew, though, because it seemed like a simple job and only required a torque wrench to do it. My click is REALLY LOUD. And I'm really annoyed about this issue.

Didn't seem to help much. Thinking back, the mobile tech seemed to do a little more than simply tighten the bolt.... he had me put it in neutral for a minute while he turned it. I don't know enough about the anatomy of a Tesla to speculate on what he did. I really wish I knew, though, because it seemed like a simple job and only required a torque wrench to do it. My click is REALLY LOUD. And I'm really annoyed about this issue.
is it a *tick* sound? it needs lubrication too and not just torquing it.

The clicking on my Model X is identical. It almost sounds like driving on concrete and the tires hitting the expansion joints, --very similar to driving on those awesome US highways (I'm from Canada) I brought the car in (my son did) and they send him go home because they did not hear. it-- It is reproducible every time from low speed rapid acceleration--You have to hit 3/4 to full throttle to make the sound and it is always from the front driver side tire region. What annoys me is they did not inspect the car or make a valid attempt to reproduce the sound. I'm sure by know they know what this is as how many things can cause this sound in an electric car.. I figure the Calgary shop just didn't want to put the effort. I almost canceled my next Tesla order as I hate poor customer service

Update: had my axle nuts tightened at 12k miles. Now pushing past 32k miles and still no clicking in either rear wheels yet.
Had mobile service tighten front axle nuts around ~4K miles. Tech said they were VERY loose. Clicking when accelerating from a stop progressively increased to where it could be heard with windows up. Fast forward to this week Monday. Car went to service center and I had a manager listen to the clicking in the parking lot to confirm. Invoice stated they lubed the front axle(s) (left only? it wasn't clear) and issue was solved. I haven't heard any clicking - knock on wood. (I picked up after hours and their lobby is closed due to COVID so it's difficult to speak with the techs)

I'm 100% this is the answer due to what I've read here about peoples cars having hub/axles replaced but what do I know. I only built cars for 20 years. Service representative did inform me the axle nuts were 1-time use so I assume they're torque-to-yield. Only time will tell.....

Had mobile service tighten front axle nuts around ~4K miles. Tech said they were VERY loose. Clicking when accelerating from a stop progressively increased to where it could be heard with windows up. Fast forward to this week Monday. Car went to service center and I had a manager listen to the clicking in the parking lot to confirm. Invoice stated they lubed the front axle(s) (left only? it wasn't clear) and issue was solved. I haven't heard any clicking - knock on wood. (I picked up after hours and their lobby is closed due to COVID so it's difficult to speak with the techs)

I'm 100% this is the answer due to what I've read here about peoples cars having hub/axles replaced but what do I know. I only built cars for 20 years. Service representative did inform me the axle nuts were 1-time use so I assume they're torque-to-yield. Only time will tell.....
So do you think it's a loose axle nut or lubing? Also - did they specify what they lubed? I posted something about the areas to lube here:

Clicking sound while turning - gearing up for my 5th SC visit

Also moved:

I believe axle for sure. The nut tightening by mobile tech eliminated the noise for a few thousand miles. They were not specific just stated lubed (i hate vague narrative on work order repairs). Your video of clicking is not what I was hearing. The noise as clicking when the axle was loaded - forward and reverse occurring on initial take-off.

I believe axle for sure. The nut tightening by mobile tech eliminated the noise for a few thousand miles. They were not specific just stated lubed (i hate vague narrative on work order repairs). Your video of clicking is not what I was hearing. The noise as clicking when the axle was loaded - forward and reverse occurring on initial take-off.
Seems to make sense - guys with RWD are experiencing the noise I'm experiencing, also, so I believe it may not be related to the drivetrain...

Every time they've checked mine (4x) they've said everything was tight... I'm starting to feel like lubing would resolve it, but I'd want to understand why some people have this problem and not others. Service manual does not specify lubing when replacing hubs.

Seems to make sense - guys with RWD are experiencing the noise I'm experiencing, also, so I believe it may not be related to the drivetrain...

Every time they've checked mine (4x) they've said everything was tight... I'm starting to feel like lubing would resolve it, but I'd want to understand why some people have this problem and not others. Service manual does not specify lubing when replacing hubs.
Lubing didn't solve it - clicking noise is back and occurring on both sides in the front. :(

That may not solve the issue. I had clicking before AND after Eibach install. It's not strut related - definitely axle/hub per Tesla.
Not saying it will - I just have $5K worth of performance parts sitting in my garage that I'm waiting to install because of this stupid issue. I'm worried if I come in there with aftermarket parts, they'll blame me for it even though they've already tried to resolve it 4 times.