Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking noise when accelerating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah. So maybe it is axle related - I just cannot hear mine over ~10-15mph.

I'm able to reproduce my "click" sounds from the rear drivers side area by pushing down on the back end of the car. Have either of you tried this yet?

I don't know what the problem is. Tesla wants me to drive 2+ hours each way to the closest service center vs sending mobile service out for a look.

• Disagree
Reactions: Hoowzer
I'm able to reproduce my "click" sounds from the rear drivers side area by pushing down on the back end of the car. Have either of you tried this yet?

I don't know what the problem is. Tesla wants me to drive 2+ hours each way to the closest service center vs sending mobile service out for a look.
Will try this later today.

Mobile service is coming in a week or two (for a fogged up tail light). And this. Wanna be prepared as much as possible ;)

Reactions: SunCharged

I have no click in the rear. I'm experiencing the same issue with service. Drive to SC and leave it - no mobile.

1) I had mobile tech tighten very loose front axle nuts ~10K miles ago
2) SC lubed axles - noise came back in less than a week
3) June: SC replaced LF axle shaft assembly - noise still present

I have a popping when turning during parking lot/driveway maneuvers and that sounds like it's in the steering system. No clicking noises when car jacked up and moving/rotating the wheels. Bad differential as in front motor internals?
Are you sure it's not the upper control arm? A lot of creaking-type noises have been remedied by replacing those.

Just got my car back today. They cleared exactly what dolemite said to do. Albeit I don't think any other vehicle needs to do this or has this issue but the noise is gone for sure now. I will keep you all updated if it comes back. I do not have the tools or space to clear this myself. If it keeps happening I might sell this car because of it. I mean it sounds really ghetto to say the least... A 55-60k car with clicking sound when going slow into a turn.... Really embarrassing to say the least if it's just debris.

Reactions: beachmiles
Clicking sound is back, both in my car and in my brother's one.
So i removed the front left rim again and checked all parts again, there is nothing wrong apparently but the nuts :

it seems the nuts are working against the conical surfaces on the rim.
Maybe the problem is in the nuts, the clicking sound cames from the contact of the nuts against the rim.
it wouldn't be the first time this happens, GM made a recall for nuts for clicking noises in cadillacs ( see #13 post ):

clicking noise from front wheels in turn

I have tried to clean all the surfaces at the best i can, also the surface of nuts and conical seats and for now the clicking sound is gone, but i'm sure it will return.
Every time we loose and tight again the nuts the problem disappear, but it return after a while.
I think we need new better nuts...

• Funny
Reactions: Perscitus
I noticed that my Model 3 has this clicking noise. I pasted a link to a 19 second iPhone video below. You can hear the sound 3 times. Is this the same noise y’all are hearing?
If so, what was the issue and the solution?
I have an appointment tomorrow morning at the Service Center.

2017 Model 3 LR
28,000 miles

I noticed that my Model 3 has this clicking noise. I pasted a link to a 19 second iPhone video below. You can hear the sound 3 times. Is this the same noise y’all are hearing?

2017 Model 3 LR
28,000 miles
Pretty sure it is the same thing as with mine.

Car is at a SeC for replacing the front drive unit as we speak (on a separate complaint) and they recognised the sound and said it required lubrication of some (can't remember what exactly) parts in the rear axle. They seemed quite confident in their diagnosis. Can ask the when I pick up the car.

2017 Model 3 LR
28,000 miles
Mine had that same clicking noise when turning right and accelerating. It would go away after I would take it in for Tesla to diagnose it but it would come back after a day or so.

I also noticed it would quit for a couple days after I took off the front diver side wheel. I FINALLY SOLVED IT. I took off the aero caps and the clicking has never came back. I don’t know how it was causing it, but my clicking only comes back when I put the aero caps back on.

Pretty sure it is the same thing as with mine.

Car is at a SeC for replacing the front drive unit as we speak (on a separate complaint) and they recognised the sound and said it required lubrication of some (can't remember what exactly) parts in the rear axle. They seemed quite confident in their diagnosis. Can ask the when I pick up the car.

This is promising, I think. Fingers crossed. I know they ordered a new Universal Mobile Connector for me.

Mine had that same clicking noise when turning right and accelerating. It would go away after I would take it in for Tesla to diagnose it but it would come back after a day or so.

I also noticed it would quit for a couple days after I took off the front diver side wheel. I FINALLY SOLVED IT. I took off the aero caps and the clicking has never came back. I don’t know how it was causing it, but my clicking only comes back when I put the aero caps back on.

Interesting. I don’t have the Aeros.

Just got the car back from the SeC. What they did (to get rid of the clicking noise) was:

"Lubricate the connections / joints between the half-shafts and the flanges"

Haven't been able to test it yet as it is raining (didn't want to roll down the window) and my car is now with the tyre shop to pick up 4 new All Seasons.

Just got the car back from the SeC. What they did (to get rid of the clicking noise) was:

"Lubricate the connections / joints between the half-shafts and the flanges"

Haven't been able to test it yet as it is raining (didn't want to roll down the window) and my car is now with the tyre shop to pick up 4 new All Seasons.
SC did that to my 2020 earlier this year. It didn't remedy the problem. Noise came back after ~1 week.

Reactions: DutchTM3
Clicking sound is back, both in my car and in my brother's one.
So i removed the front left rim again and checked all parts again, there is nothing wrong apparently but the nuts: It seems the nuts are working against the conical surfaces on the rim. Maybe the problem is in the nuts, the clicking sound cames from the contact of the nuts against the rim.
it wouldn't be the first time this happens, GM made a recall for nuts for clicking noises in cadillacs ( see #13 post ):

I have tried to clean all the surfaces at the best i can, also the surface of nuts and conical seats and for now the clicking sound is gone, but i'm sure it will return.
Every time we loose and tight again the nuts the problem disappear, but it return after a while. I think we need new better nuts...
Good idea... and it could have worked. Sadly, I had replaced all OE open ended nuts and it didnt make a difference aside from wallet weight savings.