Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking noise when accelerating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the car back from the SeC. What they did (to get rid of the clicking noise) was:

"Lubricate the connections / joints between the half-shafts and the flanges"

Haven't been able to test it yet as it is raining (didn't want to roll down the window) and my car is now with the tyre shop to pick up 4 new All Seasons.
At least for now, the clicking noise is gone. Must see for how long.

Wouldn't mind bringing it in again, though :)

upload_2020-11-18_21-28-19.png

Reactions: Perscitus
I vent to SC three times. Retorqued everything in the suspension and arms. Third time the front motor reeplaced. Returned with the same anoying sound :(

I’ve read every post in this thread. And most of then dont make any sense to me.
Like: Axle nuts, washers, swaybars, dampers, wheels etc.

My 5 cent’s
I think this is a designflaw that Tesla is aware of, but dont care about fixing.

This is what it sounds like on my car.

I vent to SC three times. Retorqued everything in the suspension and arms. Third time the front motor reeplaced. Returned with the same anoying sound :(

I’ve read every post in this thread. And most of then dont make any sense to me.

My 5 cent’s
I think this is a designflaw that Tesla is aware of, but dont care about fixing.

Something is definitely wrong with your vehicle. I have driven multiple model 3s with an ear for noises like this and they did not make them.
Do you have lemon law in Norway?

My 5 cent’s
Agreed. Tesla has thrown parts at my 2020 since new and it hasn't solved anything. That thing is now sold and I'm sticking with Porsches. LOVE my Taycan!

Something is definitely wrong with your vehicle. I have driven multiple model 3s with an ear for noises like this and they did not make them.
Do you have lemon law in Norway?
Yes. Something is absolutely wrong about this car. I even showed this clip to the tech’s at the SC. At first they tried to act like the video was some kinda false. That was absurde to say it the least.

We have a kind of lemonlaw. But its a long road to travel. To timeconsuming.

I’ve given up...
Got better thing to do than argue with the ignorant staff at Tesla.

Yes. Something is absolutely wrong about this car. I even showed this clip to the tech’s at the SC. At first they tried to act like the video was some kinda false. That was absurde to say it the least.

We have a kind of lemonlaw. But its a long road to travel. To timeconsuming.

I’ve given up...
Got better thing to do than argue with the ignorant staff at Tesla.
I totally understand. Dealing with a bad car is the worst feeling. :/

Is there another service center? My guess is a motivated technician could find the problem.

It seems to clunk when the front suspension raises a bit. Maybe try having two people lift up on the front wheel wells at the same time to lift the front a little: see if it makes the same sound. If so, you'll at least know it's suspension related (probably).

Mike

They claim that it’s dirt & debris that’s getting caught in-between the brake rotor and the hub. It’s entering through the 5 holes that are machined into the rotor. I’m planning on making a more detailed thread/video about it - it’s the only thing that makes sense... so I’m inclined to believe them and hope they’re right.
Hi Dolemite,

Been having the same issue you're having ever since I got the damn car. The SC already replaced the front hub. Of course, the clicking noise went away after they did this, but only to return soon. Just like you, if I remove the wheel and put it back on, the noise temporarily goes away.

Is cleaning it the only option we have?

Thank you sir!

Hi Dolemite,

Been having the same issue you're having ever since I got the damn car. The SC already replaced the front hub. Of course, the clicking noise went away after they did this, but only to return soon. Just like you, if I remove the wheel and put it back on, the noise temporarily goes away.

Is cleaning it the only option we have?

Thank you sir!
Seems like it. Somehow, mine miraculously disappeared at some point, and never returned... But I haven't tried as hard as I initially did to get it to "come back," since. Didn't take much, though, so I'm thinking it's permanently gone? Who knows. I'm on the OEM wheels now, but I can confidently say that it never occurred with my aftermarket wheels, either... even during extremely hard driving. The good news is that it doesn't seem to affect function...

Seems like it. Somehow, mine miraculously disappeared at some point, and never returned... But I haven't tried as hard as I initially did to get it to "come back," since. Didn't take much, though, so I'm thinking it's permanently gone? Who knows. I'm on the OEM wheels now, but I can confidently say that it never occurred with my aftermarket wheels, either... even during extremely hard driving. The good news is that it doesn't seem to affect function...
Yeah, the car feels completely fine... it's just so annoying to hear the click... and embarrassing. I've been on the OEM wheels. Maybe I'll try plugging it like you mentioned. Thanks!

Sounds good. What was the fix in your case?

Only 2.5K miles on my non-P AWD with OE 19s and the clicking showed up... is exactly as described above. On acceleration and deceleration at low speeds... typically from a stop or coming to a stop. Regardless of cold or warm, after a long drive or just starting out... regen setting and chill vs standard makes no difference.
Same here but I have the 20" induction wheels.. The best way I can describe the sound is like I just ran over a metal bottle cap.. I only here it with window down.. It's only on drivers side. I don't even have 2k miles on it yet!

My 5 cent’s

Wow! Yeah that would make me very angry! I am experiencing a sound like everyone is talking about, but my sound is like I run over a metal bottle cap every time I slowly accelerate or slowly come to a stop... I rarely drive with my windows down but for the past 2 days I have and that's when I heard it...
This weekend I am going to scrub the tires lol and see if it goes away! Lol

Here is my clicking noise from the rear drivers side. I believe its the Axle. What do you all think?

I scheduled a service and they estimated my repair to be $210. I'm still under warranty until the end of this month. I think an issue like this should be covered under the 4 year 50k warranty.

Reactions: beachmiles
A few weeks ago I noticed the clicking noise when accelerating and decelerating. So I attempted to locate the problem (before reading this thread). I mounted a gopro under the car focused on the right side of the rear motor because that is where i though the sound was coming from.
I drove up and down the street accelerating and decelerating.

The video shows the motor torqueing when I accelerate and the clicking can be heard. I know the motor should be allowed to move a little but I am not sure if mine is normal.
I setup an appointment for service but the next available appointment is 2 weeks away.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles

The video shows the motor torqueing when I accelerate and the clicking can be heard. I know the motor should be allowed to move a little but I am not sure if mine is normal.
I setup an appointment for service but the next available appointment is 2 weeks away.
Wow, I can't imagine how that could be considered normal. Looks like a motor mount broke off or has some extremely loose screws. Please let us know what happens at service center.

Wow, I can't imagine how that could be considered normal. Looks like a motor mount broke off or has some extremely loose screws. Please let us know what happens at service center.

UPDATE:

Got a message from Tesla today. "To best serve you and to get your car back to you as soon as possible, your service appointment has been rescheduled from Sep 22 to Oct 4.
WTF!
Apparently in LA they are backed up and would not be able to get to my car if I dropped it off on Sep 22.

Here is my clicking noise from the rear drivers side. I believe its the Axle. What do you all think?

I scheduled a service and they estimated my repair to be $210. I'm still under warranty until the end of this month. I think an issue like this should be covered under the 4 year 50k warranty.
Yes, this is the same sound I have and the one he talks about a fix for in the Rear Axle Click: Ultimate DIY Fix post. The only thing is I didn't hear it when you let off the acceleration in your video. The common issue, the one I have, is it makes the clicking noise when starting as well as when you let off the acceleration, it's the same click both times. The other thing I noticed that's different is your seems to have a little bit of trailing noise after, which may be a different issue? I'm not sure though.

I'm going to try out the fix he posted about, with greasing the inner splines, as I've tried greasing the outer splines probably 15 times and it always comes back within a day or 2. Good luck with yours!