Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking noise when accelerating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JK386

Mar 10, 2020
Utah
My Model S Raven June 2019 starts to make some clicking noise when accelerating. It also makes the same but slightly lighter clicking noise when the regen engages. Is there anyone who has or had the same problem? Please see the video at the following link.

Not normal. Can you tell if it creaks when braking (non-regen) as well? You can change your stopping mode to ROLL and see. I think it sounds like a suspension joint is loose or wasn't greased well enough. e.g. Ball joints or bushings on the control arms or tie rod ends.

CV joints are usually a 'click click click click' as that wheel rotates not once and done.

Regardless, its worth bringing in to a SC.

If you are the mess-around-yourself type, you can lift that corner of the car and give the wheel a tug. Top to bottom, front to back, & in and out. Then if you can locate the creak, grab the suspension part and give it a pull to confirm. Probably need to remove the wheel or get underneath for that part. (jackstands please). Take a video and have it ready for the service center.

hahaha. i know exactly what this is. thats more of a creaking than a clicking though. your AXLE NUT is very slightly loose. If you have a socket that big you can do it yourself in a few seconds. otherwise go to the service center, they'll confirm and then tighten it for you.

Its not dangerous or anything, its just very very slightly loose. I tightened my cousin's 100D axle nut for the exact same sound under acceleration and fixed it in 5 seconds.

Reactions: Hamilton237
Thank you for your reply.

The creaking noise disappeared when I switch the regen from standard to low. It is either completely disappeared or reduced quite a bit. Is it because some regen module is bad or because the light regen causes less roll so some parts are not creaking as they used to?

I am the mess around myself guy so I want to fix it by myself if possible. Is there any particular part that I want to grease if this regen causes the creaking noise?

I really appreciate your help!

Hooray! It was the axle nut. After slightly tightening it up, the creaking noise is gone. It was a little bit hard to tighten it even a little bit since it is already tightened up pretty much.

I appreciate all your help everyone!!!