Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking noise when parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing to worry about, that sound is the battery contactor. There are other normal clunking sounds too.

You might also hear coolant pumps and fans.

It might not even make that noise if it's asleep and stays asleep (meaning you don't accidentally wake it up with your phone.)

Thx JeffK.
Is there a lullaby to get her to sleep and stay asleep?
Seriously though, because of all this new nocturnal noise-making, my formerly stable battery charge is draining overnight.
Why, after three months of carefree ownership, has this rumbling started?

Thx JeffK.
Is there a lullaby to get her to sleep and stay asleep?
Seriously though, because of all this new nocturnal noise-making, my formerly stable battery charge is draining overnight.
Why, after three months of carefree ownership, has this rumbling started?
This can happen if you're checking the Tesla app or if you get near the car with your phone when using the phone as a key. It can also happen if you've got third party apps installed.

You shouldn't see more than 1 or 2% drain a night. If you do then it's indicative of other issues.

This can happen if you're checking the Tesla app or if you get near the car with your phone when using the phone as a key. It can also happen if you've got third party apps installed.
I suspect this can happen if your phone is right at the boundary of connectivity. It is in this zone depending on factors the car may transition to connected and unconnected. This is esp relevant if in the boundary between bluetooth connectivity and not.
I am not 100% convinced of this but very close. The car will try nightly to connect to the mother-ship if it has a wifi connection, that may also cause parts of the car to become active.

Wcorey, thank you for your suggestions and help.
My iPhone charges overnight in a hub located in the house, 20’ from my Tesla 3.
We bought Rhoda on 9/26 and have been parking her overnight in the same garage space ever since. The location of the charging hub has never varied.
Standing at the hub, using Bluetooth, I get the error message “Connection Unsuccessful” . Standing next to Rhoda, Bluetooth gives me the same message, “Connection Unsuccessful”.
Today, while out running errands and parking well beyond the connection range, I had these results:
Parked 1 hr. 58 min. - battery lost 3 miles
Parked 34 min. - battery lost 1 mile
I don’t know if this has anything to do with this situation, but....
Planning to take a road trip between Christmas and New Year’s Day, I supercharged to 304. Then, I caught a cold, and Rhoda sat idle for 4 days.
This timeline seems to correlate with onset of the battery drain issue, but continues to present a problem now that I’m out and about again.
Before going to bed tonight, I will turn off my Bluetooth.
I’ll post my findings in the morning.
Thanks to all.

Thursday
Parked Rhoda in garage at 4:33 PM. Battery charge 170
7:56 PM turned off Bluetooth. Battery charge 171
(How is it possible to gain battery miles when the car is not plugged into a charger?)
Friday
7:18 AM turned Bluetooth back on. Battery charge 164

Today, I will relocate the cell phone charging station farther away from Rhoda.

Last edited:
You shouldn't see more than 1 or 2% drain a night. If you do then it's indicative of other issues.
Jeff, I have a Model 3 and it has been reported by many, esp Ben's followers, that V9 battery drain in a Model 3 is pronounced. I lose about 5-10 miles per night.
Wcorey, thank you for your suggestions and help.
My iPhone charges overnight in a hub located in the house, 20’ from my Tesla 3.
We bought Rhoda on 9/26 and have been parking her overnight in the same garage space ever since. The location of the charging hub has never varied.
Standing at the hub, using Bluetooth, I get the error message “Connection Unsuccessful” . Standing next to Rhoda, Bluetooth gives me the same message, “Connection Unsuccessful”.
Today, while out running errands and parking well beyond the connection range, I had these results:
Parked 1 hr. 58 min. - battery lost 3 miles
Parked 34 min. - battery lost 1 mile
I don’t know if this has anything to do with this situation, but....
Planning to take a road trip between Christmas and New Year’s Day, I supercharged to 304. Then, I caught a cold, and Rhoda sat idle for 4 days.
This timeline seems to correlate with onset of the battery drain issue, but continues to present a problem now that I’m out and about again.
Before going to bed tonight, I will turn off my Bluetooth.
I’ll post my findings in the morning.
Thanks to all.
One thing I can say is it has been widely reported, especially post v9, that there is pronounced 'phantom' drain overnight. I am in Connecticut so I have snow tires and heat. One thing about internal combustion engines is there is surplus heat generated by the near continuous explosions in each cylinder. In the winter it is this excess heat that provides heating for the passenger compartment. In the Teslas this is electric heat. There are too many houses now-a-days that use electric resistance heat. This causes excessive battery drain. The opposite is true in Florida with air conditioning. There are controls that can be set to keep the cabin comfortable. In on case it is just fan circulation, in another case it is the AC which comes on to cool the cabin, even when there are no occupants. Check those settings to see if that is an issue. That could also be part of the overnight issue. The AC compressor runs on electricity. I am certain you already knew that but mentioned it to drive the connection home between idle battery drain and phantom causes.

I lose about 1% per night which for me is a little over 2 miles. I'd be willing to bet many of those followers are using third party apps.
I need to keep a closer eye on it. I am somewhat paranoid about waking it up via the app Tesla mobile app, Yes, I suspect Ben's followers pretty much all use the Tezlab app.
The main thing is I'm in CT and have snow tires on so there is more friction and electric heat is killing me. I think I am avg ~ 350wh/mi.
With 2018.48 turning the heat on does dash heat plus all 5 seat heaters.