Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking noise while turning the yoke - 2022 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2022 MS LR developed a clicking noise since around 2k miles. The clicking sound is coming from the front of the car. What I found:

Clicking noise:
  • Turning the yoke while moving(forward & backward).
  • Going over bumps or broken pavements.
No noise:
  • Turning the yoke while stopped.
  • Traveling in a straight line on smooth pavement.
My non-expert visual inspection did not find obvious issues in the front left and right suspension. SC appointment scheduled for next week.

What do you guys think could be the cause and fix? Thanks.

My 2022 MS LR developed a clicking noise since around 2k miles. The clicking sound is coming from the front of the car. What I found:

Clicking noise:
No noise:
My non-expert visual inspection did not find obvious issues in the front left and right suspension. SC appointment scheduled for next week.

Try turning the yoke with the vehicle stopped, no foot on the brake.

Then try doing it while stopped with your foot on the brake.

Report back.

Reactions: Irvine
I found this thread which seems to be the issue...

I had same issue with my LR, this is what SC did to fix it.

1655922702531.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Irvine
I had the clicking noise as well and had taken it to my SC.

The SC just confirmed that they found debris between the bash plate and HV battery on my car as well. The debris was making contact with the battery and all that stuff moving about when the car is in motion to the extent that they believe the battery is compromised enough to not drive the car. They are replacing the HV battery for me in addition to cleaning out the debris and securing the bash plate.

Clicking noise:
No noise:

Any updates, having the exact same issue

Yes - I took it in at 8:30am on Friday June 24th and they kept it until 5pm the following Monday. When I picked it up it was absolutely filthy. They fixed the creaking, which was indeed the bash plate, and put some velvet in to stop it happening again. I had also asked them to fix the excessive wind noise coming from the passenger quarter light - they said they replaced it, but the noise is just as bad.

Unfortunately in the process they somehow also broke the hazard light bar - half the N light is now permanently stuck on. The next appointment was July 7th - they had it for half a day and then sent a message that the service was done. When I went to pick it up, it was still the same. I went in to ask why and they said they didn't have the part. Why schedule the repair if you don't have the part?! It's just a waste of everyone's time.

The service person apologized and said she would book a mobile appointment so I didn't have to waste another day. It was booked for today, 21 July, but somehow it got changed to a service center appointment. When I called to ask why, they changed the date again to 25 July.

I'm starting to see why the tone of this forum is pretty negative. This is not how you build a brand. Many other issues that I've discovered in the past few weeks have made me regret getting a Tesla - I'm actually considering selling it already and I've only had it a month.

Yes - I took it in at 8:30am on Friday June 24th and they kept it until 5pm the following Monday. When I picked it up it was absolutely filthy. They fixed the creaking, which was indeed the bash plate, and put some velvet in to stop it happening again. I had also asked them to fix the excessive wind noise coming from the passenger quarter light - they said they replaced it, but the noise is just as bad.

Unfortunately in the process they somehow also broke the hazard light bar - half the N light is now permanently stuck on. The next appointment was July 7th - they had it for half a day and then sent a message that the service was done. When I went to pick it up, it was still the same. I went in to ask why and they said they didn't have the part. Why schedule the repair if you don't have the part?! It's just a waste of everyone's time.

The service person apologized and said she would book a mobile appointment so I didn't have to waste another day. It was booked for today, 21 July, but somehow it got changed to a service center appointment. When I called to ask why, they changed the date again to 25 July.

I'm starting to see why the tone of this forum is pretty negative. This is not how you build a brand. Many other issues that I've discovered in the past few weeks have made me regret getting a Tesla - I'm actually considering selling it already and I've only had it a month.
welcome to the club of Tesla owners who have issues with the service department.

It's so random/weird that even my hazard button was broken when I got my car back from an equally frustrating service visit.

This is how my hazard button looks when OFF.

24CCCF3C-85FD-4508-B6F6-005B41C0F5D8.jpeg

I am experiencing the exact same issue on my Model S LR at ~6,000 miles.

There's clicking when I turn at low speeds and gets louder when I turn onto an inclined surface.

I submitted a service request mentioning the front skid plate needing to be re-torqued.

Has anyone had this issue re-occur after getting it resolved?

Last edited:
Thanks to the folks here the SC finally agreed to do what was recommended and this issues is gone now, hopefully will not come back but we will see (the car was fine for 9K miles then I started to hear that noise).

They initially wanted to blame my MountainPass Big Brake front rotor for this and I was ready to get them the legal response from my lawyer that he helped with when Cadillac tried to blame the Axle back exhaust for the issues I had with the LT4 Supercharge on the CTS-V.

Attachments

• IMG_3325.jpg
    IMG_3325.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 207