Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking noise??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that the DU noises have been talked about as nauseum here and I read through most of the pages but didn't see my noise. (I tried to upload a short video I took but I can't get it to upload) anyhow when depressing the accelerator and letting off there is a loud clicking sound almost like gears changing on a bicycle. I sent the video to my SC and they said it's a rock BUT how does a rock get inside an enclosed unit? And it only makes this noise when pressing or letting off on the accelerator. If anyone can tell me how to upload my video id be happy to do it.

Many question has anyone else heard something similar? I'm taking it in next week but have a planned trip this weekend and now am a bit worried to be so far from my SC.

Mine just started clicking last week.

I first noticed when starting from a stop. While driving slow in a parking lot I have determined it happens in forward and reverse from a stop and also while moving transitioning from accel to regen and regen to accel.

I also have a buzzing noise up to agout 25kw power output. I am working with the SC to get both checked out...

I know that the DU noises have been talked about as nauseum here and I read through most of the pages but didn't see my noise. (I tried to upload a short video I took but I can't get it to upload) anyhow when depressing the accelerator and letting off there is a loud clicking sound almost like gears changing on a bicycle. I sent the video to my SC and they said it's a rock BUT how does a rock get inside an enclosed unit? And it only makes this noise when pressing or letting off on the accelerator. If anyone can tell me how to upload my video id be happy to do it.

Many question has anyone else heard something similar? I'm taking it in next week but have a planned trip this weekend and now am a bit worried to be so far from my SC.

Is the sound from the rear/drive unit? Might be a variant on the clunk noise that indicates the need to fix/replace the drive unit (gear lash). Not necessarily associated with impending catastrophic failure, but you should make an appointment with your SC when you get back to have them take a look.

Hi Guys, I'm hearing click noise from the drive unit as well on my 1.5 yrs old Model S. I was able to capture the noise on my iPhone. I've zipped the sound file and attached.

P.S. You have to turn up the volume a bit to distinguish the click noise from the background noise.View attachment 81637

The waveform confirms no pattern so sounds like a loose part that randomly hits against the DU, no?

Have no fear, I'm here to save you. The clicking sound you are hearing is.... the splines in the rear hub! I just had mine resolved, it required both greasing them and tightening whatever mechanism/apparatus' are around that area and then have an alignment done. I was fearful this was a drive unit as well, and it could very well be that this area is serviced during a DU replacement, hence people having it resolved at the same time. Please PM me if your SC would like to talk to my SC and compare notes.

On the other item, I too have the whining sound up to 20kw. The SC and I have a recording, but my tech was unable to hear it really well due to some hearing loss in his younger days. We have not found a solution yet, nor do we know if this is an indication of something that may fail. My concern is obviously the latter foremost, but also the former as I can hear it quite well and it gives me a headache.

Hi Guys, I'm hearing click noise from the drive unit as well on my 1.5 yrs old Model S. I was able to capture the noise on my iPhone. I've zipped the sound file and attached.

P.S. You have to turn up the volume a bit to distinguish the click noise from the background noise.View attachment 81637

Omg thank you @PunchIT for this. My car is making the exact same sound and its driving me crazy. I already called and made an appt to get my car seen next week. In the past few days, I'm noticing this all the time, but I don't know if it is because it has become more prevalent or just because I figured out its coming from my car (rather than my imagination or bumps) and now hear it all the time, even over my music.