Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking, Popping Sounds During Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had this experience? For two years I have charged my 2018
Model S 75D with no problems using the NEMA 14-50 220 Volt outlet I installed in
the garage. I charge to about 85%. Yesterday, after completion of normal charging
and the mobil connector still attached, a loud clicking, popping sound came
from the MS, or possibly from the connection at the NEMA 14-50 outlet (although
onlookers believed it came from the MS itself). After an hour or so the racket stopped,
I removed the mobil connector, and all has seemed normal , including several driving trips and another normal charging cycle. Anyone seen this strange behavior?

No, but you should probably schedule a service visit using the app, and include a description of what happened. Also check the outlet, plug, MC and charging port. You may want to check the breaker and also unscrew and check behind the outlet to make sure all of the wiring is good.

The Model S may make a clicking sound for a second when you open the door or start charging (especially in older ones, but yours is more recent). The clicking sound shouldn't be continual and definitely shouldn't last an hour. If it happens again, stop charging and unplug the charger connector, then check / clean the connector if needed.

Thanks , Electric700. The outlet, plug, MC and charging outlet all seem normal and clean. There has been no recurrence and I intend to let sleeping dogs lie. Considered replacing the MC until I checked Tesla’s excessive pricing.

Sure. Since your car is likely still under a full warranty, the MC should be replaced free of charge if needed. If you bought it separately, then yes the warranty will be for a lesser period I believe.