Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking sound coming from climate system fan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the exact same chirping sound so I replaced my blower motor.

Tried to grease it but had no effect so I just replaced it. It's a Bosch part so no need to buy it from Tesla. It's located under the passenger footwell.

Had my appointment today for this issue but unfortunately it’s something the service center is not willing to repair as they don’t consider it anything abnormal. Their reasoning was as the car ages, things will make different noises and it’s normal. They diagnosed it as the blower fan that is making the noise.

I obviously disagree hence making an appoint and based on the fact the noise wasn’t present the first year I owned the car, I don’t hear this in other MS (loaner I’ve had and friends MS) and it only occurs at certain fan speeds and ambient temperatures. I did ask how much it would cost to pay for the blower fan to be replaced and it was just under $300. I decided to just wait since I still have two years left on the warranty and perhaps it will get worse.

It’s definitely frustrating but given the state of Tesla service (overwhelmed), I’m also not surprised. Everything functions fine and it’s a noise that isn’t loud but just very noticeable and annoying. I personally would classify it as abnormal. Of the several cars I’ve owned over they years, I’ve never heard a blower fan make a clicking sound like this.

For what it’s worth, what I’ve noticed is:
  • The noise only occurs at fan speeds of about 1-4. Usually anything above a setting of 5 it goes away.
  • It only seems to occurs when the ambient temperature is around 60-80 F, even if I manually set the fan speed to 1-4.
  • It’s not always a constant sound. Sometimes you’ll hear it occur for just a few seconds then it goes away. Other times it will happen for weeks at a time.
  • Typically it only occurs with recirc enabled. However, there have been times even without recirc enabled it’s occurring.
Hello I have the very same issue with the AC blower on my 2021 Model 3 standard...the very first summer i had the car this issues started with the AC. It comes on and goes away after less than a minute sometimes is louder.. Tesla says they can't fix it since it's not a consistent noise... I am getting very frustrated with this since the issues started the same year the car was delivered.