Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking sound from wheel area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed today on my way to work. Started from what I can tell in the last 5 miles of my 70 mile commute. Clicking appears to be coming from the front driver wheel and is faster the faster you drive. Also happens multiple times per wheel revolution. Happens in reverse as well and driving straight or turning no change in sound or frequency. Best way I can think to describe it is like putting a playing card on the spokes of a bicycle.

So I jacked up the front of the car and spun the wheel by hand. No sound. Shook the wheel, brakes and other components by hand and nothing appeared loose or rubbing. Put the car back down and rolled forward and backward. No sound.

I’ll see if it happens again on the way back home when I get off work but does anyone have any ideas or similar experiences? This doesn’t sound like a wheel bearing going out in my experience but could be wrong.

My friend just picked up a brand new model 3 also, when she backs up you can hear the metallic clicking sound and also when she drives forward, this issue is not new, the problem is not enough wheel bearing grease, this is an issue that came up in the past and you can find it here on this forum. She placed a service ticket for this coming Thursday at 8:30am. I will let you know the results.

Fred

This is what I got from another post:

Just came back from SC for clicking. Here's the invoice notes:

Concern: Rear driver side wheel clicks when moving from stop.

Technician replaced axle nuts, and cleaned and lubricated axle hubs. Performed torque inspection and rear suspension
components as required.

Performed validation test drive and verified operations are working as designed, noise is no longer present.

Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Wheels - Axle Set (Remove & Install)
Correction: Perform Validation Test Drive

This is what I got from another post:

Just came back from SC for clicking. Here's the invoice notes:

Concern: Rear driver side wheel clicks when moving from stop.

Technician replaced axle nuts, and cleaned and lubricated axle hubs. Performed torque inspection and rear suspension
components as required.

Performed validation test drive and verified operations are working as designed, noise is no longer present.

Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Wheels - Axle Set (Remove & Install)
Correction: Perform Validation Test Drive
Had something like this. After greasing sound returned so they replaced both rear half shafts. Cured.

Reactions: Wennfred
Ok guys, update from the Clicking sound on the M3 SR 2022, the repair took 45 minutes, turns out the newer aero hub caps are rubbing against something, they made some adjustments and it’s quiet now. What exactly did they do, I don’t know. All is well now.