TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Clicking Sound from windshield wipers

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Pipcecil, May 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Pipcecil

Pipcecil Member

So my CPO 2013 has the auto windshield wipers (dunno if it was part of the tech package or standard). Anyways, when the operate the the solenoid(?) makes a very loud audible clicking-like sound. Enough that it easily drowns out any car noise (including heavy rain) and you pretty much have to have to music up to not hear it (or until your brain regulates it to white noise). Is this normal? I have had plenty of cars that have intermittent wiper blades and none sounded like this (all had no sound at all). I didn't know if it was the function of the auto wipers and it was normal. Is this normal or is this something to take to the service center?

Also, on a side note, when the speed of the wipers gets going at max speed there is an decently audible metal wacking noise as the wipers come down to the bottom - is this normal as well? It sounds like the wiper is wacking itself at the bottom of the windshield area (but only on max speed). I don't know if this is normal or not - again no other previous car I had did a large metal wacking sound when the wipers completed each cycle.