Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking sound when coming to a stop and accelerating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the sound you're referring to also occur when you are driving and lift off the accelerator and the regen braking kicks in? I have a similar metallic clicking sound coming from the passenger rear wheel area when I accelerate, even while driving, and when I lift off the accelerator and the regen braking kicks in. Mobile service was at my house doing door ajustments and when I told them about it they had me replicate the sound for them which I was able to do (because its consistent and pretty noticeable with the windows down). They said to contact service and set up an appt at the service center as the noise was not normal and they had an appt with someone 2 days prior who reported the same issue and mobile was not able to resolve. They said it wasn't dangerous so I'm not worried about the wheel falling off or anything but it's pretty disconcerting thinking something might be loose down there.

@alexhbrock ... that sounds very much like the problem I had with my 2014 Volt...
Turned out to be one hub was not torqued down to the drive spindle correctly which resulted in it rotating slightly on accel and regen-decel making the clicking sound. IIRC, I used a 22mm socket right through the center hub cap cover hole and tightened it to 150ft/lbs or whatever the spec was. Didn't even have to pull the wheel.. the 22mm socket just fit through the hub cap hole, a 2 min job. That was the end of the clicking.. forever. FWIW- other people with Volts had that same issue.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
This just happened to me. Clicking/clinking from rear left on accelerating/decelerating. @NY_Rob is on to something. Tesla had the tech ride-along with me so I could replicate the sound. That was good. They heard it. Torqued both sides of the rear axel and lubricated. Sound is gone, feels a smidge smoother too. Whole thing took, maybe, 2.5 hours. Hope OP and @alexhbrock had good luck too.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung