Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking sound while turning - gearing up for my 5th SC visit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting ready for my 5th service center visit on this. Long story short - I'm getting a clicking noise in the left wheel areas. PRIMARILY happening in the front left:
  1. First visit - clicking, front left wheel / replaced front left hub
  2. Second visit - clicking, front left wheel / replaced BOTH front hubs with "updated" part #s
  3. Third visit - clicking, front left wheel / tech tightened some bolt - didn't specify which
  4. Fourth visit - clicking, REAR LEFT WHEEL / tech replaced rear left hub
  5. Clicking has returned in front left wheel
FWIW I'm in a P3D-.

I'm scared I'm eventually gonna get something along the lines of "you're driving the car too hard" - at which point I will promptly hire a lemon attorney. So I just wanna know - is anyone else out there driving their P3Ds as intended and experiencing this problem? Assuming there's more of us here than the Battery subforum... I know we have a few track rats.

Videos in case anyone's interested:

I've been documenting this issue with others itt, in case anyone cares:

Clicking sound while turning?

• Informative
Reactions: UnicornDriver
Certainly sounds rotational and is coming from the axle/hub area. I would recommend having them lubricate the mating surface between the hub and the axle.

That's what the resolution was when my car developed this issue. Lubricated axle at hub, clicking went away.
So what are they doing, simply lubricating the splines? I'd be wary to call this a permanent resolution - I've never had to do this with any car, even with w/ 100K+ miles + track use. Plus I don't see this instruction anywhere in the factory service manual...

I wonder if this has anything to do with the P3D+ "stepped" hub.

So what are they doing, simply lubricating the splines? I'd be wary to call this a permanent resolution - I've never had to do this with any car, even with w/ 100K+ miles + track use. Plus I don't see this instruction anywhere in the factory service manual...

~25k miles since they did it, hasn't come back yet. Here's a quote form the work order:
Concern: Technician heard clicking from from axles during test drive.
Cleaned and lubricated all axles and verified the noise is no longer present.
Correction: Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - LH (Lubricate at Hub)
Correction: Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - RH (Lubricate at Hub)

Also, I have an LR AWD, not a P3D+.

Have you checked your lug nuts?

I rotated my wheels for the first time and after I did that I had that clicking sound and also the sound of loose suspension components.

It started to drive me crazy so I decided to investigate. Some how the lugs nuts were loose, 2 of them backed out all the way and we're only being held by the covers. I also tightened the axle nuts while I was at it.

After I did that, the clicking, rattling and suspension creaks went away and haven't been back since.

Yup, everything is tight. Strangely, after lifting the car, removing/installing the wheel, and putting it back down, the sound goes a way for a bit. Then it returns. This is what partly makes it so difficult to diagnose with the service center. Or at all.

I am encouraged that this sounds like an anomaly, though... If the guys tracking cars aren't seeing this, there must be something flawed or out-of-spec.

It wouldn't have anything to do with the hub, all Model 3 hubs are the same, the "step" just protrudes due to the thinner rotor hats on the performance.

I'm pretty confident it's a lack of lubrication. It's possible the technicians failed to do it when replacing the hubs. I realize that sounds silly, but people make mistakes or just don't know better.

Is this a standard procedure, though? Lubrication isn't mentioned at all in the OEM service manual.

I am fairly certain this should have been done at the factory (which, you know how that may have gone). Presumably, the grease should stay with the axle even if you change the hub - unless there is no grease there to begin with. I have always been taught to lubricate the splines and the mating surface with the hub and have never had issues when I've changed axles on other cars. If that grease wasn't there from day 1 and has never been applied since it would explain why replacing the hubs hasn't solved the problem. It's a quick, easy attempt at a fix, at the very least. It can't hurt for them to try.

I am fairly certain this should have been done at the factory (which, you know how that may have gone). Presumably, the grease should stay with the axle even if you change the hub - unless there is no grease there to begin with. I have always been taught to lubricate the splines and the mating surface with the hub and have never had issues when I've changed axles on other cars. If that grease wasn't there from day 1 and has never been applied since it would explain why replacing the hubs hasn't solved the problem. It's a quick, easy attempt at a fix, at the very least. It can't hurt for them to try.
Who knows - maybe it's something they cover in training or should know from experience? This is what it says in the manual.

upload_2020-3-22_11-41-40.png

I'm glad that this doesn't sound like a design flaw, though.

My local SC is in corona-mode, so it'll be a while before I can take it in again. I'm gonna try to solve this myself in the meantime...

Here's what I tried today:
  1. Tightened lug nuts 2x around - still clicks
  2. Lifted car & put it back down - still clicks
  3. Removed the wheel & put it back on in the exact same orientation - clicking went away
I know it will remain that way for some time to come. It's also why it's impossible for the SC to know if they've fixed anything - any repair they involves removing & reinstalling the wheel. This temporarily resolves the issue... why could this be? I can't help but think (hope) this is something super basic that everyone's overlooked so far.

Do you only hear the clicking while at low speeds? I had a similar issue with one of my previous cars. At low speeds I would hear a clicking noise from my right front tire. At speeds above 20mph the sound would go away. Turns out the tpms sensor broke off the valve stem. The sensor was still reading good while bouncing in the wheel. At higher speeds the sensor would just stick to the wheel barrel and made no noise until I slowed down and would bounce around again. Initially Subaru also thought my hub was the issue.

Do you only hear the clicking while at low speeds? I had a similar issue with one of my previous cars. At low speeds I would hear a clicking noise from my right front tire. At speeds above 20mph the sound would go away. Turns out the tpms sensor broke off the valve stem. The sensor was still reading good while bouncing in the wheel. At higher speeds the sensor would just stick to the wheel barrel and made no noise until I slowed down and would bounce around again. Initially Subaru also thought my hub was the issue.
Nope - it doesn't follow the wheels when I rotate them.

Found a couple of videos regarding lubricating different areas:

This says don't lube splines:

This says there are areas of the hub some OEMs recommend lubing w/ moly:

***FIX FOUND****

My Clicking Noise is finally GONE!

I went to the SC yesterday for another attempt to fix the ticking noise. I also wanted them to take off my winter tires and put back on my 20s. They took care of both!

Keep in mind on a previous visit they had changed the front right axle, trying to fix the same issue but the tick persisted in fact on both sides in front as far as I could tell.

For this visit, I took the SC tech for a ride and pointed out the noise to him.

The SC tech was nice enough to explain that sometimes a similar sound is described and it ends up being small rocks caught under the car or somewhere in the hub. So it would be common for them to just clean and lube. This time making sure the tech rode along with me to hear the noise and have me say "thats it!" really helped. I guess it's worth noting that the clicking sound on my M3 was definitely something else, not rocks. It sounded more like a metal paperclip being bent up and snapped down onto a thick plastic table. Its loud enough that once you notice it, you will always notice it. It's even easier to hear standing outside of the car as it moves. This click happens and is noticed at lower "parking lot" speeds. It typically repeats 2-3 times but might just be a single TICK.

So they first tried a new front LEFT axle and new bearings on that side too.
I took it for a drive and ...from the left side no clicking sound! It seemed replacing the bearings finally fixed the issue. This surprised the SC tech but it turned out that was indeed the fix. The left side had stopped ticking.. however the front right still ticked.

Next they replaced the bearings on the right side which did have the newer axle from my last visit but still had the clicking noise. Another test drive with the SC tech ... and I really took my time checking.... all was perfect! So just like the left, it was only after the new bearings, that the right side clicking stopped.

Since then have driven almost 100 miles and far so good!

***FIX FOUND****

My Clicking Noise is finally GONE!

I went to the SC yesterday for another attempt to fix the ticking noise. I also wanted them to take off my winter tires and put back on my 20s. They took care of both!

Keep in mind on a previous visit they had changed the front right axle, trying to fix the same issue but the tick persisted in fact on both sides in front as far as I could tell.

For this visit, I took the SC tech for a ride and pointed out the noise to him.

The SC tech was nice enough to explain that sometimes a similar sound is described and it ends up being small rocks caught under the car or somewhere in the hub. So it would be common for them to just clean and lube. This time making sure the tech rode along with me to hear the noise and have me say "thats it!" really helped. I guess it's worth noting that the clicking sound on my M3 was definitely something else, not rocks. It sounded more like a metal paperclip being bent up and snapped down onto a thick plastic table. Its loud enough that once you notice it, you will always notice it. It's even easier to hear standing outside of the car as it moves. This click happens and is noticed at lower "parking lot" speeds. It typically repeats 2-3 times but might just be a single TICK.

So they first tried a new front LEFT axle and new bearings on that side too.
I took it for a drive and ...from the left side no clicking sound! It seemed replacing the bearings finally fixed the issue. This surprised the SC tech but it turned out that was indeed the fix. The left side had stopped ticking.. however the front right still ticked.

Next they replaced the bearings on the right side which did have the newer axle from my last visit but still had the clicking noise. Another test drive with the SC tech ... and I really took my time checking.... all was perfect! So just like the left, it was only after the new bearings, that the right side clicking stopped.

Since then have driven almost 100 miles and far so good!
Hey man thanks for the heads-up - I genuinely hope this fixed it for you. Keep us posted. I hate to *sugar* on your parade... in the interest of solving this, in my situation, changing the bearings (AKA the hub - the bearings are pressed into the hub) only resolved it temporarily. I had the same elated feelings as yours... only for it to come back. I can't say how long it takes to return - definitely a little while. And now with the minimal driving everyone's doing, it'll be a little while longer. I had another SC visit scheduled a few weeks ago, but they canceled on me because they weren't doing drive-alongs due to the Wuhan.

Hopefully it's fixed... best of luck to you.

@RandomX and @Dolemite what year are your cars/when were your cars produced? I had the axle click on my 2020 when new and had mobile service tighten them at ~4000 miles. I'm almost at 10K miles and zero clicking noises.
07/2019

They just tightened the axle nut? Mine hasn't returned after the last time I removed/reinstalled the wheel, but I haven't been driving the car nearly as much.

@RandomX and @Dolemite what year are your cars/when were your cars produced? I had the axle click on my 2020 when new and had mobile service tighten them at ~4000 miles. I'm almost at 10K miles and zero clicking noises.

My M3 was built in winter 2019.

I wanted to chime in today and say the clicking is still gone for me now since the fix I mentioned above. I have put over 1k miles since then.