Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate after exiting stays on for hours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The plot thickens… wife came home in it this morning and within 5 mins the fans (and whining noise) started again. I was perhaps 30 ft away through several external and internal walls of the house so def not next to the car.

I went to the Tesla app and checked the climate settings. All showing as off. Car had risen from 21 to 25 degrees inside (it’s 11 degrees outside), so climate is clearly running and trying to heat up. I clicked on VENT to drop the windows and…. instant silence! The fan is still running but near silent. I put the windows back up and the whining starts up again.

Is there a way to just reset the climate and start again? Maybe I need to do a full reset of everything (profiles, everything ) but hoping there’s a less nuclear option to try first.

Do you have Climate Overheat Protection switched on?
The only reset is the two button reboot. Nothing specific for the climate.
What is your climate control set to? If lower than 25 degrees then its probably not the climate control causing the issue.
Some ideas here too:

Thanks both (above). Tried the reset but no different. Took it down the road for 10 mins, returned 13:47. It locked and was silent. 14:00 the noise (fan or pump or something) started until at 14:05 I selected VENT on the app whereupon it immediately stopped. 14:09 I closed the windows and it started again immediately. I switched on climate from the App and it fell silent again, so I switched climate back off and it lasted until 14:19 whereupon it resumed. Putting climate on again (remotely) it stopped once more - was showing 24 degrees internal, 15 outside, climate set to 20. Note, when I say 'silent' I mean some background noise (which is fine) but not the annoying whine. I measured the noise and it's 400Hz frequency - oddly it's louder in my office than on the drive (must be resonating with the nearby garage door or something). I'll raise a support call I think. I've googled 400Hz Tesla noise and can't see anything else related. This is what I'm hearing btw (not the recorded noise, but a sample 400Hz)

Thanks both (above). Tried the reset but no different. Took it down the road for 10 mins, returned 13:47. It locked and was silent. 14:00 the noise (fan or pump or something) started until at 14:05 I selected VENT on the app whereupon it immediately stopped. 14:09 I closed the windows and it started again immediately. I switched on climate from the App and it fell silent again, so I switched climate back off and it lasted until 14:19 whereupon it resumed. Putting climate on again (remotely) it stopped once more - was showing 24 degrees internal, 15 outside, climate set to 20. Note, when I say 'silent' I mean some background noise (which is fine) but not the annoying whine. I measured the noise and it's 400Hz frequency - oddly it's louder in my office than on the drive (must be resonating with the nearby garage door or something). I'll raise a support call I think. I've googled 400Hz Tesla noise and can't see anything else related. This is what I'm hearing btw (not the recorded noise, but a sample 400Hz)
Just to clarify, you're hearing a whining tone (400hz) not fan noise? Does it sound like this?

Hi. I can hear a fan (wind noise) *and* that 400Hz noise. The fan I can live with, that 400Hz tone I can’t. But even then, why would it be raising my interior temp to 25 degrees or so when all I want is to save energy and for it to go to sleep? I’d love to see the logs of what it’s up to. Was hoping they might be able to do it remotely but when I looked at booking it in, it seems I have to drive in.

Really appreciate everyone’s help on this. If I ever get to the bottom of it I’ll update this thread.

Was hoping they might be able to do it remotely but when I looked at booking it in, it seems I have to drive in.

All service bookings follow the same route (i.e. booking an actual visit) however in practice Tesla Service will almost certainly be in touch first. It's in their own interests to solve these things remotely and they won't want you to take the car in if this can be investigated remotely.

Hi. I can hear a fan (wind noise) *and* that 400Hz noise. The fan I can live with, that 400Hz tone I can’t. But even then, why would it be raising my interior temp to 25 degrees or so when all I want is to save energy and for it to go to sleep? I’d love to see the logs of what it’s up to. Was hoping they might be able to do it remotely but when I looked at booking it in, it seems I have to drive in.

Really appreciate everyone’s help on this. If I ever get to the bottom of it I’ll update this thread.
How do you know its raising the temp and not lowering it after the sun has heated the cabin.
Have you checked if cabin overheat protection is on?

Try to record the sound so that we can hear it. Someone might recognise it.