Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate after exiting stays on for hours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

We have an odd issue with our MY. The climate (fans) seems to stay on even after leaving the car.

The mirrors are folded and the car toots to say it’s locked. A while later, when going back to the car, it’s still locked but the fans are roaring.

The only way to prevent this occurring is to remember to turn off the climate before leaving the car.

I’ve searched the forum but most results are from 2019 or people saying it’s the battery cooling or the keep cabin cool feature.

Worth noting it’s about 15c here in England and the car isn’t hot inside. It’s definitely the fans for the climate roaring as tapping the climate off button in the car stops it instantly.

Any pointers welcome.

Also camping mode and dog mode is not on.

There was a change a while ago so that if you turn climate on (at least if you turn it on in the app - not sure about if you turn it on in the car) it stays on even if you enter and exit the car. It's so that you can turn climate on prior to a journey and not have it keep turning off as you load the car, etc. Personally I find the change helpful. IME it only happens if you don't actually drive the car. If the car has been driven since you turned climate on then it turns off normally when you exit.

(As a separate note, the car can sometimes perform thermal management for a significant period after a long drive - but that's not climate control.)

Attachments

• 77D47F9E-06BE-448B-9836-4D1D4ABD9E3A.jpeg
    77D47F9E-06BE-448B-9836-4D1D4ABD9E3A.jpeg
    714.7 KB · Views: 280
Apologies for that double posting above (fat fingers). It does this though for maybe an hour after just a 5-10 minute drive and it’s noisy as hell next to my office window. It also keeps the interior temp set at 20 degrees C - which I haven’t asked for. Everything is deactivated in the App and on screen (keep mode etc). For some reason it thinks I want it kept at 20 degrees. Bluetooth shows as connected - which had me wondering, but it’s locked and so I’m reasonably far away and I think should go to sleep.

Apologies for that double posting above (fat fingers). It does this though for maybe an hour after just a 5-10 minute drive and it’s noisy as hell next to my office window. It also keeps the interior temp set at 20 degrees C - which I haven’t asked for. Everything is deactivated in the App and on screen (keep mode etc). For some reason it thinks I want it kept at 20 degrees. Bluetooth shows as connected - which had me wondering, but it’s locked and so I’m reasonably far away and I think should go to sleep.

I can't say for sure if there's something extra going on here but I would expect that you could (as a workaround) switch off the climate control manually before leaving the car or via the app.

Reactions: Jamin
it’s noisy as hell next to my office window.
Bluetooth shows as connected - which had me wondering, but it’s locked and so I’m reasonably far away and I think should go to sleep.
If you can hear it from your office window I'd question if you are far enough away.
What type of phone do you have? There are reports of some Android phones having a long enough range to keep the car awake.
Teslafi or Teslamate would show you very quickly if the car is not going to sleep properly.

If you can hear it from your office window I'd question if you are far enough away.
What type of phone do you have? There are reports of some Android phones having a long enough range to keep the car awake.
Teslafi or Teslamate would show you very quickly if the car is not going to sleep properly.
Makes no difference though if I switch off my iPhone’s Bluetooth (was my first thought also).

Can't be 100% sure but never had the feeling that the car was being kept awake by a long-range bluetooth connection, certainly not noticed any battery drain like you do when sentry is on.

Seems like there are two levels of connection, close enough so someone could unlock the car if they tried, and further away the app still claims to be connected even though you wouldn't be able to unlock the car at that distance. But, I do try to not spend much time under the former condition, for obvious reasons.