Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate/App confusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like I should know these things:

What does this Icon highlighted by the green arrow mean? I thought it was related to the defrost Icon below but as you can see that is not switched on (lower right).

This is my second Minnesota winter. In my usual daily drive a go less than 20 miles each way to work so, starting with a garage temp that is typically around 40 degrees this time of year I don't get a heated enough battery to be able to experience full re-gen. The weird thing is even on days when I drive much longer it seems I rarely, if ever, get full re-gen in the winter months.

Can anyone help me with these things? Thanks .
Climate2.jpg

My guess your heating is set to Auto. When it is that mode it will run the defroster automatically when there is a large gap between interior temp and your setting.

I believe clicking the button in the lower corner switches it to manual control so you can cycle defrost on and off.

Fellow MN here. From my experience, it’s heating the cabin, and running defrost on the glass surfaces, although not on HI, as the defrost specific button does.

In this case, the air is being diverted to the windshield, and cabin, at your preset temp.

Regarding Regen. You should have a battery heater on your X, which if set roughly 30 min before leaving, plugged into shore power, should provide enough to hear the pack for good regen. Run again 30-45 min before leaving work, I could be wrong on this.

I have a 3, which doesn’t have a heater, and I just run the climate for 30-45 min, and the regen is almost always close to 100%.

Thanks for your responses. Running the defroster if the car is outside might make some sense. Running it in the garage where there is no snow or ice doesn't make sense. I am going in for the 3.0 upgrade in a couple of weeks so I will ask about my re-gen situation and repost the results.

Fellow MN here. From my experience, it’s heating the cabin, and running defrost on the glass surfaces, although not on HI, as the defrost specific button does.

In this case, the air is being diverted to the windshield, and cabin, at your preset temp.

Regarding Regen. You should have a battery heater on your X, which if set roughly 30 min before leaving, plugged into shore power, should provide enough to hear the pack for good regen. Run again 30-45 min before leaving work, I could be wrong on this.

I have a 3, which doesn’t have a heater, and I just run the climate for 30-45 min, and the regen is almost always close to 100%.
M3 pre-heats battery by turning on climate via the app. The M3 does not have a separate battery heater but does this by running current through motor stator I believe, but it definitely does battery pre-heat still

• Informative
Reactions: gavine
Thanks for your responses. Running the defroster if the car is outside might make some sense. Running it in the garage where there is no snow or ice doesn't make sense. I am going in for the 3.0 upgrade in a couple of weeks so I will ask about my re-gen situation and repost the results.

There is a thread on here discussing the preheat issue. Traditionally the battery heater on our cars would engage (and show a battery heating icon in the app) when preheating the cabin. Tesla has changed this in recent firmware updates. We don't know if it is on purpose or a bug, but I have not seen my battery heat icon at all this winter.

M3 pre-heats battery by turning on climate via the app. The M3 does not have a separate battery heater but does this by running current through motor stator I believe, but it definitely does battery pre-heat still
Yes, I know about using the current and waste heat to heat the battery, which is why I turn on the climate/charge before leaving. I was specifically mentioning it doesn’t have the same dedicated heater as the S or X do.

Reactions: VikH
There is a thread on here discussing the preheat issue. Traditionally the battery heater on our cars would engage (and show a battery heating icon in the app) when preheating the cabin. Tesla has changed this in recent firmware updates. We don't know if it is on purpose or a bug, but I have not seen my battery heat icon at all this winter.

Interesting. So far, I've only seen the battery heat icon on the app one time this winter, and then only for a brief moment. So I remain confused about the entire Model X preheat protocol. I half wonder if something is wrong with my car as only one time this winter have I had full regeneration, even after having the car preheated in my garage for nearly an hour sometimes. The day I had full regeneration it lasted only for a short while and then went it reverted to 1/2 regeneration.

On cold days in North Lake Tahoe I’ve been seeing the battery heat icon frequently. It goes off after I preheat the car sufficiently. I have a 2019 Model X Raven.

What I haven’t yet figured out is if the cabin temperature I set affects how long it takes the battery to get warm/conditioned.

I half wonder if something is wrong with my car as only one time this winter have I had full regeneration, even after having the car preheated in my garage for nearly an hour sometimes. The day I had full regeneration it lasted only for a short while and then went it reverted to 1/2 regeneration.

Sounds normal to me. You can easily regain full regen by accelerating hard 4-6 times.

I have a Raven MX long range up here in the frozen wilds of northern Scotland (!). Almost every morning when I turn climate on using the app the battery heat icon lights up after several seconds and generally stays on for the 15 minutes or so I use pre heat. Outside temperatures are usually hovering around the 0deg C mark (32 deg F if I remember correctly) although the car lives in a non heated garage.
Tony