Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate - Auto or Manual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Normally leave it on 20 degrees and auto. Occasionally I have to put the front demister on as a light mist starts to form after 90 mins or so of driving. Apart from that it does the trick.

Also found out today, I have aircon! Obvs I know it had it but not yet been warm enough to use it! Was interesting feeling cold air being blown at me.

Normally leave it on 20 degrees and auto. Occasionally I have to put the front demister on as a light mist starts to form after 90 mins or so of driving. Apart from that it does the trick.

Also found out today, I have aircon! Obvs I know it had it but not yet been warm enough to use it! Was interesting feeling cold air being blown at me.
Leaving the aircon on will stop the misting up of the windows (and freshen the air a bit better in my experience). If you have the climate set to auto it balances out the temperature.

Reactions: Adopado

You have just discovered why people do use AC even during the colder months ... perfect for avoiding the misting that you get on cold damp days, even with the heating on. It may seem counterintuitive to have heating and AC on but try it!

You have just discovered why people do use AC even during the colder months ... perfect for avoiding the misting that you get on cold damp days, even with the heating on. It may seem counterintuitive to have heating and AC on but try it!
Another argument in favour of leaving the AC permanently on is that switching it off and on allows bacteria (and hence bad smells) to form in the filters as moisture isn’t being fully removed.

(It may of course be a redundant argument these days given the technology now in use).

Manual. Auto is the crappiest I've ever seen in a car. Always to powerful.

So are the auto headlights which is basically on all the time.

Auto wipers are odd too. If it's raining a lot they don't come on. If it's hardly raining they might come on but really fast. But most bizarre is putting the car in reverse and they go crazy and I think they're gonna scrape a hole in the wind screen.

Basically with Tesla anything auto is crap.

I spend far too much time preoccupied with fiddling with the wipers and climate control which takes away from the enjoyment of driving sometimes.
Indeed. Here in Colorado it's dry much of the time but last month we had snow and I needed the defogger. Suddenly in front of me I spotted a pickup truck spewing diesel exhaust, so I hit the recirculate button. In seconds my windscreen fogged up, so I hit the AC button, but then the recirculate button turned off and the system was sucking in diesel fumes. I fiddled with this a few times as the windscreen became almost impossible to see through. I haven't sworn at a car in like 20 years, but I was swearing like a sailor at this massive fail. Obviously the Tesla software developers didn't think of this scenario in their misguided quest to automate everything.

I forgot to mention that when I hit the AC button and the recirculate button turned off, I then hit the recirculate button and then the AC button turned off. That cause the windscreen to fog up in seconds. It was like whack-a-mole. That's when I started swearing. In the latest software update that I have (2022.4.5.17), I was able to hit the buttons in a sequence that kept both the AC AND recirculate on, but now I'm not sure what the sequence was. I need to have someone video what I'm doing to document the insanity.

Manual 20, 1 speed, no AC and seat heater on 2 if I'm on my own.

Auto 21 all other scenarios.
I don't see any numbers to choose from. I can set it on manual and there is a white bar either with a white dot on that I can move up and down but that does not get me any hot air .. . . . . how do I get it to blow hot air?