Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change Civil Disobedience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These climate heroes given their ages and possible sentences are potentially facing life in prison... do these look like criminals to you? Do they you really think they're 'dangerous'? No. These are people fed up with society failing to self-correct it's destructive addiction to fossil fuels. They're standing up to do what is RIGHT. Even if it's not legal. If you're still of the mind that we need to blindly follow the law and ignore our moral compass then please explain slavery; explain Jim Crow. explain segregation.

shutdown.png

This event occurred last week but didn't get much coverage;

Water Protectors shut down five tar sands pipelines simultaneously.

These climate heroes given their ages and possible sentences are potentially facing life in prison... do these look like criminals to you? Do they you really think they're 'dangerous'? No. These are people fed up with society failing to self-correct it's destructive addiction to fossil fuels. They're standing up to do what is RIGHT. Even if it's not legal. If you're still of the mind that we need to blindly follow the law and ignore our moral compass then please explain slavery; explain Jim Crow. explain segregation.

shutdown.png

This event occurred last week but didn't get much coverage;

Water Protectors shut down five tar sands pipelines simultaneously.
Courageous people.
I salute what they are doing but I don't think I would have the courage to do this.
Amy Goodman was finally cleared of charges for reporting on ND pipeline protest. They finally found a sane judge. Others may not be so lucky. The fossil fuel industry is rich and powerful and will not allow dissent.

Amy Goodman was finally cleared of charges for reporting on ND pipeline protest. They finally found a sane judge. Others may not be so lucky. The fossil fuel industry is rich and powerful and will not allow dissent.

The prosecutor and Sheriff in Morton county are unhinged... which may work to our benefit. The cops in Morton country are arresting out-of-towners for EVERYTHING. Small infractions that would be a ticket anywhere else is instead hand-cuffs, strip search and a night in jail. 1 mph over speed limit? You're under arrest. Cracked tail light? You're under arrest.

If you look back at history Civil Rights activists chose Selma for a reason... they could get an over reaction from the local law that didn't fully understand civil rights. This gained them A LOT of international sympathy for their cause. It's a similar situation in North Dakota. I predict that there will soon be lawsuits filed against Morton County for civil rights violations. Then the Governor will replace the local law with ND guard troops to police the protests. My contact with law enforcement was limited but the Guard troops seemed more neutral and professional than the Morton County deputies. The Sheriff is using intimidation to deter protests... that's a clear violation of the 1st amendment. IMO the guard would be less concerned with preventing protests and more focused on public safety.

I wonder how ugly this will get before it's over. Not just the ND pipeline, but all of it. Both sides have what they view as compelling reasons to act with extreme prejudice. And the scope is global. Hopefully something stops the escalation before it leads to all out civil war. It sounds crazy right now, but an army of people who think the future of humanity is at stake vs a conglomerate of threatened controlling powers who disagree certainly sets the stage.

• Informative
Reactions: nwdiver
I wonder how ugly this will get before it's over. Not just the ND pipeline, but all of it. Both sides have what they view as compelling reasons to act with extreme prejudice. And the scope is global. Hopefully something stops the escalation before it leads to all out civil war. It sounds crazy right now, but an army of people who think the future of humanity is at stake vs a conglomerate of threatened controlling powers who disagree certainly sets the stage.

This is the civil rights struggle of our generation. The Sioux have shown remarkable restraint... there are historical and cultural reasons for this. The youth have immense respect for their elders. While at the camp I heard on multiple occasions that older members of the tribe were having a very positive effect in deterring violence and vandalism. The older tribal members also a vivid memory of the Wounded Knee incident in the 70s. Many people have drawn parallels between that event and the current DAPL protest... they don't want a repeat of wounded knee.

You are correct that pipeline opponents are determined. I feel that determination. However they are just as determined to stay non-violent as they are to stop the pipeline. They know they have the moral high ground and they intend to keep it. The lies of the Morton County Sheriffs department are laid bare by all the photos and video. The Judge appears to be sympathetic since most charges are being dismissed at arraignment. Civil rights lawsuits should will also be filed soon. Hopefully no city, county or bank will want anything to do with more fools fuel infrastructure after DAPL.

If you can go. Please go. You don't need to risk arrest. The camp is safe and people are friendly. I was there for a week and I never had any problems... although I got lucky with warmer weather. I thought of it this way... Civil Rights advocates had a moral calling to be in Selma in 1965. That became the focal point for civil rights. After the success with KXL, DAPL is now the focal point for the fight for a sustainable future. Crushing a $3B+ project that is already mostly complete will send a powerful message.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Off Shore
Jeeze, looks sort of like a war zone. Reports are police were shooting down protestors' drones a few days ago. Now, temporary no-fly zone has been established over the construction/protest area by the FAA.

This is only the beginning... ~1k people have arrived in the last few days and I expect ~1k more by the end of the weekend. Jesse Jackson and Mark Ruffalo were there yesterday donating Solar Panels. DiCaprio plans to visit soon. This is the time and place that we take a stand against our addiction to petroleum and fossil fuels. The moratorium on further investment in the destruction of our future ends now! No more pipelines!

ND spent the last of their $6M loan and the federal government has refused to intervene. Cops don't work for free... without federal assistance the pipeline dies if the protest continues and it's still growing. With the publicity this raid has brought their number will swell.

If you can go please go. If you're in a position to risk arrest; please risk arrest. If you can't do either then donate to their legal fund. At the very least spread the word.

Jesse Jackson and Mark Ruffalo were there yesterday donating Solar Panels.

Interesting tidbit I noticed:

Mark Ruffalo Delivers Solar Panels to Camp Where Thousands Are Fighting the Dakota Access Pipeline

"The solar trailers will provide clean energy to power medical tents and other critical facilities for Native American protesters and their allies at the encampment. The trailers symbolize a healthy, equitable, prosperous energy future made possible by clean renewable energy."

"Johns' company, Native Renewables, promotes low-cost clean energy solutions for Native American families throughout the U.S., with an emphasis on job creation and on benefiting the community as a whole. The trailers were built by members of the Navajo nation and were financed by Empowered by Light and Give Power."

Give Power is SolarCity's non-profit.

These are the real cops... I've never heard of any BIA officers bothering DAPL protestors (aka water protectors). Unlike the corrupt shills working for Morton County.

14591835_1413875225307410_2399907936298263712_n.jpg

They apprehended this DAPL security idiot dressed as a protestor with an Automatic rifle... yes... seriously. At least 1 person decided to try to give Morton County justification to use lethal force.

14563355_1413875141974085_5968958543746202396_n.jpg

Well that last big raid (141 arrested) seems to have done it. First time I can remember seeing "1M people are talking about Dakota Access Pipeline" on Facebook, for the past few months it's been 10-50k people. Was wondering when this was going to go viral -- the bloody attack dogs didn't do it so I was wondering what it would take.

I studied social movements (focus on environmental movement) in school, and this is going to be one of the major events for the text books. Hope everyone comes home safe.

Well that last big raid (141 arrested) seems to have done it. First time I can remember seeing "1M people are talking about Dakota Access Pipeline" on Facebook, for the past few months it's been 10-50k people. Was wondering when this was going to go viral -- the bloody attack dogs didn't do it so I was wondering what it would take.

I studied social movements (focus on environmental movement) in school, and this is going to be one of the major events for the text books. Hope everyone comes home safe.

It was ironic that the raid took place the same day that the Bundy militia was acquitted. Kinda sends the wrong message. If you come armed the police will treat you with more respect... or if you're white or if you're not blocking an oil company...

Reactions: kelly and mspohr
I never thought I'd see Native Americans removed from their land in my lifetime. This is horrendous, first young men at the barricade then women and elders in the north camp are forcibly removed as construction equipment approaches in the background. Surreal and sickening.

This happened 10/27. Reading UnicornRiots site just now he says the police and equipment are approaching the main camp today. I'm afraid it could go very badly.

At least someone is capturing it since our media aren't doing there jobs. People matter more than profits. We have alternatives. It's time to get rid of big oil.

Police & Military Attack Oceti Sakowin Treaty Camp - UNICORN RIOT

For those who would like to do something, Earth Guardians posted this on Facebook.

CONCRETE WAYS YOU CAN HELP STANDING ROCK - "The most effective means of showing support for this cause is to actively participate in protecting this sacred land. Anyone who is able to travel to the peaceful encampments is encouraged to do so. For those unable to make the journey to North Dakota, please utilize the alternate methods provided to show your support for the Standing Rock Sioux who have united over 100 tribes from across the U.S. Please join this effort to stop this pipeline, which desecrates sacred lands and has serious potential to damage or destroy the Standing Rock reservations lifeblood – its water."

ACTION STEPS IN SUPPORT OF STANDING ROCK AND OUR UNIVERSAL RIGHTS TO CLEAN WATER:

1. Call North Dakota governor Jack Dalrymple at 701-328-2200. When leaving a message, state your thoughts about this subject -- please be professional.

2. Sign the petition to the White House to Stop DAPL: Stop construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline which endangers the water supply to Native American reservations. | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government

3. Donate to support the Standing Rock Sioux at Standing Rock

4. Donate items from the Sacred Stone Camp Supply List: Supply List

5. Call the White House at (202) 456-1111 or (202) 456-1414. Tell President Obama to rescind the Army Corps of Engineers’ Permit for the Dakota Access Pipeline.

6. Contribute to the Sacred Stone Camp Legal Defense Fund: Legal Defense Fund for Sacred Stone Spirit Camp

7. Contribute to the Sacred Stone Camp gofundme account: Click here to support The Official -Sacred Stone Camp by Howaste Wakiya

8. Call the Army Corps of Engineers and demand that they reverse the permit: (202) 761-5903

9. Sign other petitions asking President Obama to stop the Dakota Access Pipeline. Here’s the latest – Sign the petition: Stop the Dakota Access oil pipeline

10. Call the executives of the companies that are building the pipeline:

a. Lee Hanse Executive Vice President Energy Transfer Partners, L.P.
800 E Sonterra Blvd #400
San Antonio, Texas 78258
Telephone: (210) 403-6455
[email protected]

b. Glenn Emery Vice President Energy Transfer Partners, L.P.
800 E Sonterra Blvd #400
San Antonio, Texas 78258
Telephone: (210) 403-6762
[email protected]

c. Michael (Cliff) Waters Lead Analyst Energy Transfer Partners, L.P.
1300 Main St. Houston, Texas 77002
Telephone: (713) 989-2404
[email protected]