Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change Civil Disobedience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The actual cost to households has gone up since the government started subsidizing wind and solar.

Got a better plan to kicking our fools fuel addiction?... this one appears to be working...

2_fpn_doe_wind-power-deployment-cost_graph.jpg

solarplummetingcost.jpg

I agree the cost of solar has dropped dramatically but it still has a problem because of it's variability. It works great as long as you have some type of backup. Solar is working great for me right now where I can sell my excess to PG&E during the summer at 44.5 cents per Kwh and buy back at night to charge my car at 11 cents per kwh. However once enough solar comes on line this will go away and the utility will have a problem maintaining the backup needed at a reasonable price. This is the problem that Germany is experiencing at this time.

However once enough solar comes on line this will go away and the utility will have a problem maintaining the backup needed at a reasonable price. This is the problem that Germany is experiencing at this time.

Got a better plan to kicking our fools fuel addiction?... this one appears to be working...

Like I said... got a better plan?

The grid is your storage. People need to realize that energy producers and grid operators are at the whim of the people. It's your grid, and YOU give them the privilege of operating it at profit.

If your market decides that solar is a priority and saves everyone money, then there's nothing wrong with separating delivery from production costs and guaranteeing net metering at production retail forever. Many will likely do this soon.

Germany's excess supply at peak is only a "problem" for producers since grid priority goes to residential solar and their rate is locked in for 20 years. They're doing it right in Germany and the market will deal with their excess in very short order at profit.

Reactions: nwdiver
I agree the cost of solar has dropped dramatically but it still has a problem because of it's variability. It works great as long as you have some type of backup. Solar is working great for me right now where I can sell my excess to PG&E during the summer at 44.5 cents per Kwh and buy back at night to charge my car at 11 cents per kwh. However once enough solar comes on line this will go away and the utility will have a problem maintaining the backup needed at a reasonable price. This is the problem that Germany is experiencing at this time.
Coal and nuclear have the opposite problem. They can't be dialed back when demand drops.
Utilities need to stop whining and do their joy... Manage the grid.

Republican carbon tax??
A group of Republican "elder statesmen" has proposed a carbon tax which follows traditional Republican "values".

Republican statesmen think they have found the answer to the country’s climate problem
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/...on-republican-group-calls-for-carbon-tax.html

Of course, the folks now in charge of the Republican party are not the usual Republicans.
It could happen... but looks like a long shot.

LOL... this was my thought bubble reading your post

'Why this posted here? It's about a Repub....... Ahhhh... yep, this is the correct thread'

.... called it.... not that it was a tough prediction. Imagine the protests if Canada is foolish enough to approve the Trans-Mountain pipeline or more oil sands. Maybe now they'll begin to understand what is meant by 'NO MORE FOOLS FUEL INFRASTRUCTURE!'

Good to see this. Some in Canada are standing up to the fossil fuel interests. Hopefully the government will get the message.