Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change Denial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you know who Jeremy Corbyn is? In case you don't know, he is the British Labour Party Leader. Most people who pay attention to global politics know who he is. What most people don't know is that he has an elder brother named Piers Corbyn. Piers is a meteorologist and astrophysicist. Allow Piers Corbyn to explain to you the fallacy of CO2 driving the world's climate. Go to 41:50.

He was the leader of the Labour Party .. get your tense right. Are you somehow implying that because Piers is related to Jeremy that he should be given special pleading rights?

Wikipedia has this to say about Piers Corbyn:

"Corbyn believes in various non-dominant narratives about climate change; he believes that the media, Met Office and “corrupt scientists” are brainwashing the public as part of a Qatar-run conspiracy to keep oil prices high."

"Corbyn has declared that COVID-19 is a "hoax". In a tweet, he has blamed both Bill Gates and George Soros for originating the virus and opposed any vaccine to prevent people catching it."

So, clearly a well-informed, level-headed authority that we can all trust and respect.

CO2 forcing is a logarithmic function. There is not a 1 to 1 correspondence of CO2 concentration and heat trapping.
At one side it's true that there Is not a Linear relationship between CO2 CONCENTRATION and heat trapping. But such a relationship Is NOT CENRTAINLY LOGARITHMIC!
WHERE DID YOU READ THAT HEAT TRAPPING INCREASES LOGARITHMICALY WITH CO2 CONCENTRATION?
PLEASE REPORT THE SOURCE.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: WVhybrid and ZsoZso
That isn't my homework to do. I know that UAH is a bona fide atmospheric research facility. NASA thinks it is. NOAA thinks it is. DOE thinks it is. Just because a lightweight like doesn't think so is no concern of mine.

Oh, my goodness. How terrible! Pier Corbyn needs to be thrown in jail for such an offensive crime against humanity!
It seems like you may be a climate change contrarian. If you aren't feel free to skip the rest of the post.

Concentrating on one measurement of one layer of the atmosphere to form an opinion on whether it is occuring or if it's a significant issue is like concentrating on your credit card balance but ignoring the $100K you are losing on your bookie each month to judge your financial health.

The bulk of the heating goes into the oceans. which has increased by ~3.7X10^23 joules of heat energy over the last 50 years. (That's enough extra energy to run a hurricane for about 20 years straight, or equivalent to ~200 A bombs exploding a minute every minute for 50 years)
heat_content2000m.png

The lower troposphere exchanges heat with ocean and that's whats responsible for much of the short term changes in the lower atmosphere. So if you want show the climate isn't warming then the lower atmsophere and the oceans better both be trending down otherwise what the data shows is ever increasing global temperatures. (Oh this is even while the sun has been a bit quieter than usual over the last decade while temperatures continue to increase.)
sunspot_belgium_1900-2017_620.gif

??? Seriously? A 'winter is still cold' argument? Yeah.... sea ice when it's near max it ALMOST gets to what the average used to be... yay?

View attachment 658160
I remember last July, a bunch of silly global warming zealots were screaming "it's melting, it's melting, we will have an ice free summer!" Yes. July 2020 melted at a fast rate. The NSIDC 2020 melt season report explained why. There was a dominant high pressure system located over eastern Siberia. The circulation around the anti-cyclone pushed the Arctic ice in the Laptev, Kara, and Barents Seas poleward, compacting the ice well north of 80 deg. N latitude by late summer/early Fall. This reminded me of 2007 while I was forecasting weather, sea and ice conditions offshore Alaska. The Beaufort Sea had a similar thing happen to it. The Beaufort had become ice free because strong poleward winds pushed the ice towards the North Pole. Back in 2007, the same hysterical rants were made that the Arctic ice was melting away, and that the Arctic would become ice free in just a matter of years. I knew those rantings were bogus back then just like the current ones today are. In case you are wondering, yes, I am a weatherman. Retired last year.

He was the leader of the Labour Party .. get your tense right. Are you somehow implying that because Piers is related to Jeremy that he should be given special pleading rights?

Wikipedia has this to say about Piers Corbyn:

"Corbyn believes in various non-dominant narratives about climate change; he believes that the media, Met Office and “corrupt scientists” are brainwashing the public as part of a Qatar-run conspiracy to keep oil prices high."

"Corbyn has declared that COVID-19 is a "hoax". In a tweet, he has blamed both Bill Gates and George Soros for originating the virus and opposed any vaccine to prevent people catching it."

So, clearly a well-informed, level-headed authority that we can all trust and respect.
Piers Corbyn thinks the human-caused global warming hysteria is driven by multi-national corporations, because they want to deindustrialize the West and install all of the polluting factories in India and China where there are no environmental restrictions. That will enhance profits. Corbyn is a bit of a wacky conspiratorialist, but he is dead right about the new age religion known as human-caused global warming.

I remember last July, a bunch of silly global warming zealots were screaming "it's melting, it's melting, we will have an ice free summer!" Yes. July 2020 melted at a fast rate. The NSIDC 2020 melt season report explained why. There was a dominant high pressure system located over eastern Siberia. The circulation around the anti-cyclone pushed the Arctic ice in the Laptev, Kara, and Barents Seas poleward, compacting the ice well north of 80 deg. N latitude by late summer/early Fall. This reminded me of 2007 while I was forecasting weather, sea and ice conditions offshore Alaska. The Beaufort Sea had a similar thing happen to it. The Beaufort had become ice free because strong poleward winds pushed the ice towards the North Pole. Back in 2007, the same hysterical rants were made that the Arctic ice was melting away, and that the Arctic would become ice free in just a matter of years. I knew those rantings were bogus back then just like the current ones today are. In case you are wondering, yes, I am a weatherman. Retired last year.

??? Is there a point buried in there somewhere? Is global warming happening? Yes. Is it a problem? Yes. Should we do anything about it? Yes.

..... what's your point?

Reactions: eevee-fan

ASINA_Figure2_April2021.png

Yearly Arctic sea ice extent is again well below the 30 year average from. 1981-2010.

The decadal sea ice extent average will continue to decrease thanks to the extra energy in the ocean and lower atmosphere. Which by the way can help strengthen those polar winds you were referencing.

It seems like you may be a climate change contrarian. If you aren't feel free to skip the rest of the post.

Concentrating on one measurement of one layer of the atmosphere to form an opinion on whether it is occuring or if it's a significant issue is like concentrating on your credit card balance but ignoring the $100K you are losing on your bookie each month to judge your financial health.

The bulk of the heating goes into the oceans. which has increased by ~3.7X10^23 joules of heat energy over the last 50 years. (That's enough extra energy to run a hurricane for about 20 years straight, or equivalent to ~200 A bombs exploding a minute every minute for 50 years)
heat_content2000m.png

The lower troposphere exchanges heat with ocean and that's whats responsible for much of the short term changes in the lower atmosphere. So if you want show the climate isn't warming then the lower atmsophere and the oceans better both be trending down otherwise what the data shows is ever increasing global temperatures. (Oh this is even while the sun has been a bit quieter than usual over the last decade while temperatures continue to increase.)
sunspot_belgium_1900-2017_620.gif
So, how much of an effect has that heat energy had on global sea ice. Well, let's have a look:

It looks like the global sea ice extent has gone from 23,000,000 km^2 in 1979 down to 22,000,000 km^2 in 2021. When you consider that impressive looking ocean heat content graph, the actual effect has been quite small on polar sea ice. Please note there is a lag effect from solar radiation on the oceans. There are deep ocean currents that take decades to centuries to complete their cycles. Deep ocean temperatures are still remaining 0-3C.

You're the one posting it. I'm just asking what the source is. Why is that such a difficult question to answer? If you don't wish to defend it then maybe you should stop promoting it.

Clearly it's not ovservations based on ERSSTv5... so what is it?

Line of best fit for the actual ERSSTv5 starting in 1979 at 0C and ending at 0.8C in 2018 on each graph... CLEARLY not the same data.... CLEARLY not the same ERSSTv5. What's the source for Spencers ERSSTv5?
View attachment 658305
You are still confused about different abscissa and ordinate ranges. And you still don't have a clue how the years chosen for the mean affects the anomaly. Spencer did use the sea surface temperature data set as he claimed. You just don't like how he parameterized the data with the short 1979-1983 range to determine the mean. This was done to keep the temperature mean close to when the model runs were initialized. The ordinate on Spencer's graph goes to 2C to leave room for the model runs. If the graph on left was used, The model runs would go off the chart. If Spencer used false data like you say he is, his enemies would have been all over it, and he would have been fired by now. Go ahead. Challenge him. I would love to see a little pipsqueak like you take him on.

You are still confused about different abscissa and ordinate ranges. And you still don't have a clue how the years chosen for the mean affects the anomaly. Spencer did use the sea surface temperature data set as he claimed. You just don't like how he parameterized the data with the short 1979-1983 range to determine the mean. This was done to keep the temperature mean close to when the model runs were initialized. The ordinate on Spencer's graph goes to 2C to leave room for the model runs. If the graph on left was used, The model runs would go off the chart. If Spencer used false data like you say he is, his enemies would have been all over it, and he would have been fired by now. Go ahead. Challenge him. I would love to see a little pipsqueak like you take him on.

??? ERSSTv5 observations and ERSSTv5 ovservations each have a value of ~0C in ~1979... then increasingly diverge... they're different data sets. If what you're saying was true they would have the same divergence over all years.

ASINA_Figure2_April2021.png

Yearly Arctic sea ice extent is again well below the 30 year average from. 1981-2010.

The decadal sea ice extent average will continue to decrease thanks to the extra energy in the ocean and lower atmosphere. Which by the way can help strengthen those polar winds you were referencing.
Below the 30-year average, correct. But during the past 15 years, there has been very little, if any decline of the Arctic sea ice. Have a look:

https://realclimatescience.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/MASIEArcticSeaIceExtent_shadow.png

Piers Corbyn thinks the human-caused global warming hysteria is driven by multi-national corporations, because they want to deindustrialize the West and install all of the polluting factories in India and China where there are no environmental restrictions. That will enhance profits. Corbyn is a bit of a wacky conspiratorialist, but he is dead right about the new age religion known as human-caused global warming.

Sounds like he isnt the only "whacky conspiratorialist" around ... "new age religion" eh? Thank goodness we have reliable people like you to protect us from all those ignorant evil scientist types, sitting in big black leather chairs stroking their white cats.

• Funny
Reactions: JRP3 and eevee-fan
??? ERSSTv5 observations and ERSSTv5 ovservations each have a value of ~0C in ~1979... then increasingly diverge... they're different data sets. If what you're saying was true they would have the same divergence over all years.
Wrong. You are still confused by the distortion caused by the various parameters of the graphs, You can see the corresponding spikes. Go to his blog site and tell him you think he used a different data set. Spencer may or may not answer you, but someone else will.

By the way, here is one of many predictions of an ice free Arctic.

I knew it wouldn't happen back then as I know it won't happen now.

Sounds like he isnt the only "whacky conspiratorialist" around ... "new age religion" eh? Thank goodness we have reliable people like you to protect us from all those ignorant evil scientist types, sitting in big black leather chairs stroking their white cats.
I'm not protecting anybody from anything. I just wish everybody would allow our scientists and engineers to develop the sources of energy our general public demands. Also, BEVs should grow by consumer choice, not government force.

• Disagree
Reactions: JRP3