Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change Denial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are using the wrong units! MW is a unit of power. MWh is a unit of energy. That was 649 MWh that wind energy had dropped to after producing over 8,000 MWh just 24 hours prior to that. There is no way that was predicted days in advance. Plus, the icing effects on the wind turbines were not factored in. Nothing this widespread has happened to Texas before. We've learned our lesson now. Arctic blasts knock out wind turbines. We will have our base load boosted ahead of time for the next one. If the DOE disapproves, to heck with them. We will battle their fines out in the courts.

Icing and freezing affected all power generation plants. If TX was 'really counting on the 8GWh from wind', I guess the MUCH BIGGER SHORTFALL from the fossil plants were not the primary cause of the widespread outage. The only thing ERCOT was counting on was a miracle. 10 year issue still unresolved due to political pressure from the power producers, results is frozen plants all across. #MATH, #SCIENCE, #BRAIN, The Brainwashing Of My Dad

Last edited:
In point of fact if you look at the plots I linked they are in MW not MWH. However if you would like to know how much energy just calculate the average power generation per hour and there's your MWH. So the estmated energy wind would produce from 19:00-20:00 was about 700MWH.

The Texas grid also crapped out back in 2011 due to cold weather. As it was then and now it was due to natural gas wells freezing over and cooling water lines at thermal plants freezing over because they didn't feel the need for trace heaters.

As a result I'm adding a whole home generator for the next time this happens since we apparently haven't learned anything in the last decade.

I think they have learned. It is politics driving the decision now, that's why TX is doubling down on stupid. The Brainwashing Of My Dad

Reactions: DrLOAC
That is old data - any quick look can find that.

For those that don't want to read - wind alone provided 24.2% of UK electricity in 2020; up from 19.8% in 2019

Nuclear was 20% (updated 2/2021 but looks like 2018 data)
This reference puts UK at about 44% fossil fuels (39% NG, 5% coal). For sure 2020 is more like 2% coal)

Why are we talking about the UK anyway? Because it has made the some of the best moves on wind despite having a Trump-like idiot in executive?

Why would you keep repeating easily debunked facts? To show your lack of intellect/thoroughness?

He was referring to total energy use, not just electricity.
He was using outdated numbers, but the overall decline in fossil fuel use hasn't been as steep overall as it has been for electricity.
However, with accelerating electrification of transportation, the ban on natural gas heating in new homes from 2025 and the shift to renewables from fossil fuels we could expect the decline to become more rapid. Even a shift from ICEV to NG-powered BEV would raise efficiency, but the supply is increasingly renewable, and renewable now have such a significant EROI that it will have a large impact on primary efficiency use.

Plus, the UK has a policy of subsidies and mandates for smart chargers, which allows people effortlessly to charge in a way that matches renewable electricity generation, which is why green tariffs like Octopus Agile have become popular among UK EV owners.

Reactions: iPlug and eevee-fan
You: the UK hasn't phased out coal (using 2016 data)
Me: UK use is much lower than (using 2019 data), coal electricity generation ends 2024/2025, examples of government electrification policy
You: 80% of energy consumption in the UK comes from fossil fuels

It was 78.4% in 2019, down from 79.4% in 2018. Looks like it's still heading in the right direction.

This is how Drumpf and the right wing media brainwashes their followers. Repeat the lie enough times and people will believe it.

1620227933732.png

I think we need to ask the right question of these climate change deniers... 'Why would you kill yourself?'

Last edited:
He was referring to total energy use, not just electricity.
He was using outdated numbers, but the overall decline in fossil fuel use hasn't been as steep overall as it has been for electricity.
However, with accelerating electrification of transportation, the ban on natural gas heating in new homes from 2025 and the shift to renewables from fossil fuels we could expect the decline to become more rapid. Even a shift from ICEV to NG-powered BEV would raise efficiency, but the supply is increasingly renewable, and renewable now have such a significant EROI that it will have a large impact on primary efficiency use.

Plus, the UK has a policy of subsidies and mandates for smart chargers, which allows people effortlessly to charge in a way that matches renewable electricity generation, which is why green tariffs like Octopus Agile have become popular among UK EV owners.

Yep, this was about a month ago. Lot of room for more renewables, esp if they can automate the charging into EVs with some V1G smarts (utility controlled charging). Would be even better if utility can override the Target Charge during excess renewable events. Let's say I normally only charge to 70% because that's all I need to get through the day, utility can tell my car to charge to 90% or 100% to take advantage of low/free power.

Don't forget to bill them for the cost of healthcare, that is a heavy indirect subsidy paid for by the residents nearby.

Speaking of...

"How do the environmental costs of coal power factor in?
The Energy Innovations analysis does not factor in the social costs of coal-fired power plants. Those include health and environmental impacts from sulfur dioxide, nitrous oxides and particulate pollution, as well as the plants’ greenhouse gas emissions that add to human-caused climate change."

Reactions: CyberGus
Then why did coal drop so much? And why do you think windmills work fine in other more northern locations but failed in TX?
Because the dewpoint temperatures are higher in the southern states because of our proximity to the Gulf of Mexico. High dewpoints combined with a blast of Arctic air down south producing icing conditions. In simpler terms, snow does not affect wind turbine blades nearly as much as freezing rain.

Not when they are properly winterized, as in most places that experience cold weather.
Germany had problems with their wind turbines last winter.

Coal came to the rescue in Germany. That was the problem in Texas - not enough coal.

Speaking of...

"How do the environmental costs of coal power factor in?
The Energy Innovations analysis does not factor in the social costs of coal-fired power plants. Those include health and environmental impacts from sulfur dioxide, nitrous oxides and particulate pollution, as well as the plants’ greenhouse gas emissions that add to human-caused climate change."
The West scrubs their coal emissions. China and India don't.

I will be more willing to believe in Global Warming and rising Seas when I see people moving away from our coaslines and insurance companies not be willing to write policies for those areas as well.

Europe had global warming in medevial times. Populations of the Earth doubled because so much more food could be grown world wide due to longer growing seasons.

Nice graphic explaining how Dr. Spencer makes it appear that the world was cooling. Of course, after he was caught in his lie, he admitted there is global warming. And using the 'recent average' lie, he attempted to prove 'oh, it's not that bad.'

You are slandering Spencer. He didn't lie about anything. If he did, NASA, NOAA, and DOE would slash his funding. So, put that in your pipe and smoke it!