Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The upswing of 1s and 10s is fairly normal on IMDB, but the extreme nature of it on that movie is what makes it of interest. Still, you can kind of see through the extremes on IMDB. Look for the normal distribution buried between the extremes. Looks like the movie is probably an 8.

I haven't seen it yet. Are they donating any the proceeds to worthy causes? I'm not a big fan of paying to see someone's polarized message, even if they are right. But if they are donating to worthy causes, I might go see it. If not, I'll wait until I can watch it for reduced cost or free.

And yes, it's a shame this is a polarized message. The fossil fuel industry and those invested in it have done a good job of polarizing the issue. Of course, those concerned about climate change are right. The only question is whether they can somehow be successful in making the necessary changes, leaving the skeptics forever skeptical, or if mother nature will have to prove them right the hard way at the expense of the prosperity and future of all life on Earth.

There are some things environmentalists sometimes advocate for that I don't necessarily agree with, and most Republicans certainly wouldn't either. Stuff that seems to go too far, at least in the now. Those who say we need to shrink the population, live in smaller densely populated spaces, ride bicycles everywhere, ban straws, recycle cow poo, those kinds of things. Conservative arguments should be focused on saying -- lets hold off on the more extreme stuff for now, and focus on switching everything we can to clean energy at a reasonable but prudent pace, and recycling our trash as much as we can; if that's not enough, we can look at going further. Too often though, they just deny climate change science altogether which makes them look like crazy hacks who want to destroy the planet.

Last edited:
Those who say we need to shrink the population

I didn't agree with this idea as well, but I have seen the light in its message. I have a personal example - I have 2 friend couples who just decided to have a 2nd child. They each now have to buy a larger car (SUV) to fit their whole family when it was just one child a nice sedan would do. This means more gas being bought and more CO2 in the air and they know and understand what is happening to our planet.....this to me is irresponsible.

Reactions: JRP3
Huh

Our 4 person family fitting in a Mitsu Mirage and then a Honda Civic must have been a dream then
yeah, I agree. I don't get why they had to get SUVs, but they told us they needed more "room"...........I hold my opinions back, but I just don't get it because they care about what's happening just as much as I do. These examples show me that there is a percentage of people who know the stakes of the game, but care not to play.....sigh....

Reactions: dhrivnak
yeah, I agree. I don't get why they had to get SUVs, but they told us they needed more "room"...........I hold my opinions back, but I just don't get it because they care about what's happening just as much as I do. These examples show me that there is a percentage of people who know the stakes of the game, but care not to play.....sigh....
My daughter exhibits the same behaviour, and she has a resume full of employment at environmental action groups. When it comes to her personal convenience, social responsibility goes out the window. I think that if her peer group was more active she would naturally do the same. But in an America of "me, me, me" she doesn't brush up against any push-back.

Which is not to say that she is a resource pig -- far from it. But that stems from frugality and limited means.

I have an even worse example: my brother-in-law has a family of 3, his son is 18, they have 3 cars: 2 SUV and a VW jetta.
Two of them has a daily commute <20km, the third drives ~80km roundtrip. I could understand 1 SUV for winter ski trips when they need lots of luggage space and they want to be able to drive in snow, but the 2 other cars could be any short range city-EV. They even borrowed my iMiev for a while before they bought the 3rd car and said it is fun to drive because of the instant torque.

Reactions: dhrivnak
This is how your world could end

This is how your world could end

Something to brighten your day.
Depressing read.
"Many of us share some dim apprehension that the world is flying out of control, that the centre cannot hold. Raging wildfires, once-in-1,000-years storms and lethal heatwaves have become fixtures of the evening news – and all this after the planet has warmed by less than 1C above preindustrial temperatures. But here’s where it gets really scary.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
Bill McKibben has a good article
Stop talking right now about the threat of climate change. It’s here; it’s happening

Stop talking right now about the threat of climate change. It’s here; it’s happening | Bill McKibben

"Winning fast enough to matter would mean, above all, standing up to the fossil fuel industry, so far the most powerful force on Earth. It would mean postponing other human enterprises and diverting other spending. That is, it would mean going on a war-like footing: not shooting at enemies, but focusing in the way that peoples and nations usually only focus when someone’s shooting at them. And something is. What do you think it means when your forests are on fire, your streets are underwater, and your buildings are collapsing?"

Reactions: SageBrush
It's here it's happening?
I remember 2011 or maybe it was as far back as 2009, i'm losing track.
The "experts" all claimed in July/August due to warming that this year 2009? was going to be the busiest hurricane season ever! Of course God must have been listening and decided to give hurricanes a year off. :)
Never heard a peep regarding the wrong predictions. These kind of forecasts happen more often than one may think.
Irony: The person who would call me a science denier believes in several gender choices. :)

• Funny
Reactions: flankspeed8
It's here it's happening?
I remember 2011 or maybe it was as far back as 2009, i'm losing track.
The "experts" all claimed in July/August due to warming that this year 2009? was going to be the busiest hurricane season ever! Of course God must have been listening and decided to give hurricanes a year off. :)
Never heard a peep regarding the wrong predictions. These kind of forecasts happen more often than one may think.
Irony: The person who would call me a science denier believes in several gender choices. :)

The Death Of Expertise

That's a false equivalency. The formation of storms like hurricanes are complex weather events that require multiple conditions to come together. There's some evidence that changes in the jet stream could make formation more likely but largely the question of wether we'll see a change in the frequency of storms remains unanswered.

What is NOT in question is the intensity. Warm water is hurricane fuel. That's physics. A hurricane over 88F water will be stronger and intensify faster than a hurricane over 87F water. Warmer air can also carry more water. That's physics. Storms in warmer areas can dump FAR more rain than if the temperatures were slightly lower. We've loaded the dice.

What's truly frightening is that Harvey WAS (past tense) a 1:500 year event. It's now likely a 1:50 year event. So the question is; What does a 1:500 year event look like in a >400ppm world? We've loaded the dice....

Interesting perspective on how too much CO2 in the air affects the plants we eat. I've read several articles on what is happening to our soil, but none that focused on this aspect of agriculture.

"Across nearly 130 varieties of plants and more than 15,000 samples collected from experiments over the past three decades, the overall concentration of minerals like calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc and iron had dropped by 8 percent on average. The ratio of carbohydrates to minerals was going up. The plants, like the algae, were becoming junk food."

The great nutrient collapse

Interesting perspective on how too much CO2 in the air affects the plants we eat. I've read several articles on what is happening to our soil, but none that focused on this aspect of agriculture.

The great nutrient collapse
I read this yesterday, really interesting piece. One thing I didn't see addressed was human uptake of food nutrients. Absorption rates are not always terribly high (most things I've read state that absorption is in the range of 10-90%). Clearly, diluting the nutrient density or rebalancing it in another fashion is something to keep a scientific eye on, but I don't know that it immediately means that it's a net negative.

I read this yesterday, really interesting piece. One thing I didn't see addressed was human uptake of food nutrients. Absorption rates are not always terribly high (most things I've read state that absorption is in the range of 10-90%). Clearly, diluting the nutrient density or rebalancing it in another fashion is something to keep a scientific eye on, but I don't know that it immediately means that it's a net negative.
Some nutrients are absorbed at higher efficiency to keep up with metabolic demands. So are not and are then at risk for nutritional deficiency as their daily ingested amount drops.