TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by Raffy.Roma, Feb 3, 2013.

1. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

I am curious about what others think of Elon selling "flame throwers" from the Boring Company. My first thought after the safety factor was that it literally is not very green. Emitting GHG solely for fun? This seems rather tone deaf or short sighted. Thoughts?

• Like x 1
  2. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Yes, but maybe no. Basically this is a modified propane weed torch. It's use will be limited, any actual impact would be nearly immeasurable, and if it is in fact used for burning weeds it may be better for the environment than chemical weed killers. I'm waiting for the battery powered version

[​IMG]

3. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

Nice try....I don't buy fake concern. This is a funny and crazy product when used reasonably. Just like buying a hammer, or axe, or slip and slide. They all have dangerous elements if used improperly.

As concern for the effects on climate for this product...I don't buy that concern either. Any toy or entertainment product costs energy to make consume and eventually recycle. Choose wisely, and take a reasonable approach.

I personally eat leftovers instead of restaurants for lunch because of my concern for climate and the costs to transport produce and trash involved.

But since you're already on my ignore list for trolling, I'm willing to bet this reply wasn't what you're looking for eh?

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  4. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Common item for chemical free weed removal

5. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

#3765 flankspeed8, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Nice try. It was a genuine question. How is it trolling? We are not talking about a toy here...did you see the video? I think it is terrible optics. I am not the only one. You are free to disagree but please do not accuse me of trolling just because you have a different opinion. I didn't realize hammers, or axes, or slip and slides used propane canisters. P.S. I am a Tesla long....sorry if I don't meet your standards.

P.S. This is not being marketed as a weed killer or a toy...It is literally being called a Flame Thrower.

• Like x 1
  6. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Except it's not an actual flame thrower, functionally it's no different than a weed burner which anyone can buy, for a lot less money. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

7. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Back to discussion of climate change....

last year, we were aghast when our high-country winter home in Arizona (elev. 2,500 feet) had its peach trees blossoming early in the second week of February. Waaay early.

That, of course, was all the way back in 2017. They started to blossom Jan 28 this year. Terrible.

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  8. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

It's just a joke. There won't be millions of flame thrower operators throwing flames around the country as a result of this. The flame throwers won't actually be used for anything. So it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's just humorous. If I were to hanker a guess, I would guess they are actually stylized versions of those things roofers use on roofs.

What did kind of bother me recently is the thought of all the energy wasted on cryptocurrency blockchains.

9. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

• Informative x 1
  10. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

Agreed. And it is only getting worse. The bright side is that at least in the Pacific Northwest they are using hydro, some of which if I understand correctly was going largely untapped.

11. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

We can battle climate change without Washington DC. Here's how
    We can battle climate change without Washington DC. Here's how

His message is that we must do this without Washington. And we can.

"If you want a shorthand version: Sun, Sit (in) and Sell/Sue.

Yes, it would be easier if the country, and the planet, were acting together – if Washington were leading the fight the way the planet’s superpower obviously should. But since it isn’t, the pressure will find other outlets.

This fight is going aggressively local, and fast"

• Like x 5
  12. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

It's why I just installed rooftop solar, and why I'll be using electricity savings from that installation to do more investment in solar (community solar projects) or donating to solar advocacy (like the 100% campaign).

• Like x 1
  13. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

You might want to check out Sunfunder.com
    They finance solar in Africa and have a good track record.
    I invested with them a few years ago before they grew and now they only accept larger investments. (It's an investment, not a donation)
    Invest

• Informative x 1
  14. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

• Informative x 1
  15. arcus

arcus Active Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned before (search didn't return any results), but I think this is a good documentary on how climate change can (and will) affect geo-political stability as well:

The Age of Consequences

• Like x 1
  16. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

• Like x 4
  17. DragonWatch

DragonWatch Small FootPrint

Back in 1967, I hope that is correct, I bought twenty feet (8”x8”) of probably what is old growth redwood and had it delivered to the Hawthorn high (California) school wood shop. I was mass producing horses, I cut the shape out on our gigantic school shop Delta bandsaw, then torched (see stories above) the surface for the desired finish. My teacher put the skids to my mass production and I still to this day have almost nine feet of the wood, and a horse. I should have been a wood and stone sculptor, but I got distracted with, well, war. I could have been an architect, but my scholastic standing was forced toward menial labor. I could have been a successful artist, but felt to stiff as opposed to easy going financially. Late in life, I dabbled in stone sculpting successfully until the economy officially tanked in 2008. I knew it was tanking in 2005 as disposable income dried up ~ Average Joe could not afford four hundred for a stone bowl, or four thousand for the yen yang pieces I sculpted. Even “pinch me” collects dust in our basement. My architectural skills were finally appreciated with the professional hand drawn plans for a remodel in 2005 and another in 2015. We took our children to see buffalo and prairie dogs on the reserve associated with Fort Sill back between 1978 and 1983 before my introducing the family to life in Germany. Our son’s exclamation “I see it” at the age of five looking down the prairie dog hole.
    That is the background of this particular story about our once very famous redwood forests. If you, like me, got anything out of high school history, it was all about buffalo and redwoods. In high school, the closest I ever came to a buffalo was on the back of a coin.
    My generation, like generations past, for thousands, upon hundreds of thousands of years have failed our children. If you can picture a simple wave on a beach still flowing towards your feet, hopefully like the warm water in Hawaii:), and as the wave gets to its final point. You notice that the sand crabs quickly disappear and the water now instead of racing back to the ocean, soaks into the sand. Almost forgot where I was going here, sorry. We as humans, humanity (?) are on the tip of that wave. We have pushed out through land exploration, science, and education; now the wave is receding; soaking into the sand. We have pushed so hard on expanding our boundaries, that we failed to. . .
    How can we remotely hope to save the world, let alone humans, when we no longer support the land around us, believe in science, and do not support public education?
    Like the story of Humpty Dumpty ~ will we put it all back together? Or, will it be like the pottery figure of my mother’s on our fireplace mantel that I destroyed by tossing my baseball up in the air; at the age of nine? It was not a case of “if you break it, you own it,” no it went into the trash and I felt like hell. Thank goodness, my parents did not punish me ~ I felt horrible ~ apparently even now:-(
    If like in this article, we are relying on science to save the day ~ we are sadly mistaken:) You, and you alone can. . . As threats to California’s giant redwoods grow, the key to their salvation might be in their complex genetic code :)
    Will our redwood tree ~ society, continue to rot from within and collapse and then will we feel remorseful when we die because we broke the world? Since those days at Hawthorne High, I have planted over five hundred trees, and I am lucky if fifty of them are still alive. I rescued a tree once in Quartz Hill (CA) at about nine years old, and I saw it about twenty-five years ago when the family allowed me to show them one of the houses where I grew up. The tree had survived: it was huge. The wheat field across from the house was then a sprawling church. Please do not get me going on the quail I fell in love with.
    It is true, I chopped down a palm tree back in 1975, cracked the sidewalk too. You’ll never see me elected President:)

• Like x 2
  18. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Rare combination

As a 1%er, I have the money to buy politicians and advertisement to get my way. I will educate my kids in the finest schools, and divert public money into those exclusive high priced schools. Don't want public funding to go to public schools, I want in in MY schools. I got mine, and now I want yours. There is no limit to my needs. They may be just wants, but they are MY wants and trump any of yours....because I'm in the 1% and you are not.
    OK that was just my rant. I am not a 1% guy. At least I don't think I think like a 1% guy. I know some folks that accumulate wealth and think it is a wonderful way to keep score. The fancier the car, the bigger the house, the more trophy the wife - the better score I have. There is nothing that says "enough", but always more - and even better if it takes away from you.
    I cringe as I pen those words describing the attitude of some 1%ers. I believe that some buy into that and see no other way. They walk among us, and have sharp elbows.

• Like x 1
  19. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

Errmmm ... "technical objection" :)

You probably are!

Assuming USA somewhat similar to UK:

The top 1% in UK earn more than US$ 225,000 ... I'm doubting that you can buy politicians with that ... but maybe yours are cheap?!!

Top 0.1% in the UK gets you to US$ 1,375,000 ... that's getting more like it.

As I am want to say: "How the other 0.000000001% live" :) based on my sliding scale:

Save public healthcare funds by using Private healthcare
    Save public funds by using Private schools
    Save public road-repair funds by using Helicopter / Plane :)

20. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

if this is an issue they need to ban broccoli, I just emitted some GHG solely for fun. :oops: