Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you are looking to have your head explode, do not read this article! Donald Trump’s Extract-Everything Energy Policy Dooms Us All By reading this article, you begin to wonder how much a difference we can make beyond living what you/I preach.

Leadership was in my very early adulthood, back in the sixties, demonstrated for me; and I have never heard it again ~ though I have repeated it probably five times.
Take a string, laying it out in a nice straight line. Now, with your fingers, push from either end. The result, even if you played this out in your mind, is that the string bunches up; or as some people refer to as herding cats. Straighten out the string and this time pull it in the direction you wish to have the string go; yes, it follows you.
No, life is not that simple, but that is all I have. . .
Funny, a lot of kids shoes do not have shoelaces these days.

Unless you are looking to have your head explode, do not read this article! Donald Trump’s Extract-Everything Energy Policy Dooms Us All By reading this article, you begin to wonder how much a difference we can make beyond living what you/I preach.

Leadership was in my very early adulthood, back in the sixties, demonstrated for me; and I have never heard it again ~ though I have repeated it probably five times.
Take a string, laying it out in a nice straight line. Now, with your fingers, push from either end. The result, even if you played this out in your mind, is that the string bunches up; or as some people refer to as herding cats. Straighten out the string and this time pull it in the direction you wish to have the string go; yes, it follows you.
I agree. Thoroughly discouraging article. Unfortunately, all true. Trump is going all in for his fossil fuel funders. Corruption.
I think we should consider that beyond Trumps "leadership", there are larger forces at work. Just a few things that could counteract Trumps drill everywhere plan:
- It is now cheaper to build and run renewable wind and solar than to operate existing fossil fuel power plants. This means that people won't be building new fossil fuel plants and will be shutting down these expensive plants. They will be investing in wind and solar. This is basic economics.
- The US is flooding the market with cheap oil and is poised to continue. The result of this is that prices will drop. Demand for oil and gas is fairly inelastic. That is, transportation, heating, power generation demand is relatively fixed and responds primarily to the level of economic activity, not price. People don't suddenly commute more or ship more stuff or turn up the heat in their house when prices drop. We are starting to see oil prices drop in response to US production. The oil cartel will have to face painful cuts in production to keep prices up.
- The rest of the world will reap the benefits of cheap renewable energy. Trump may slow US adoption but that will put us at a competitive disadvantage.
- Corporations will invest in the cheapest energy and that is wind and solar (and battery storage). The basic economics of energy is shifting and I don't think Trump can change that. It would be nice to have Trumps leadership to adopt renewables but that is not going to happen.

Actually it's not a matter of a game in my opinion.
CO2 produced by ICE cars is responsible of temperature increasing in the world.

This is worded in such a way that it's the CO2's fault for the temperature increase, when in fact, it's the driver behind the wheel who is at fault when the vehicle is started by their efforts. If we are so critical it's man made global warming, then why is not the driver held responsible?

I'm hoping we will see the signatories to the Paris accord (i.e. the whole planet minus the US) moving away from buying US oil because of these policies. I'm not talking about a boycott, just a shift in preference that will put downward pressure on US oil prices vs. other sources and hopefully send a bit of a message.

They should have a carbon tariff. If fools fuel provided the electricity to produce XYZ then there should be a tariff placed on that product.
Sadly for Canada, we could end up in the no-trade group. Yeah, we signed on to Paris, but our actions are exactly the opposite of what 'good faith' should require. Witness the Kinder Morgan pipeline from the tar sands to the port of Vancouver. Brewing to be a huge fight...

Reactions: S'toon
I'm hoping we will see the signatories to the Paris accord moving away from buying US oil because of these policies.

This strategy only fills the coffers of Russia and Saudi's.

The cheaper oil gets the worse it is for everyone but the USA. Canada will suffer. Russia will suffer. Etc.

I believe this is a trade war and Europe will happily buy cheaper oil while this plays out.

This forum provides me the perfect opportunity to self promote to friendly audiences while remaining On topic! Fantastic!

• Love
Reactions: JRP3
This forum provides me the perfect opportunity to self promote to friendly audiences while remaining On topic! Fantastic!

good video - you must have spent a lot of time to produce it. As I watched snark after snark - I got angry, frustrated at "our dear leader". I could not have done this project without screaming and flame-throwing at his absurd actions.

Reactions: DragonWatch
I agree. Thoroughly discouraging article. Unfortunately, all true. Trump is going all in for his fossil fuel funders. Corruption.
I think we should consider that beyond Trumps "leadership", there are larger forces at work. Just a few things that could counteract Trumps drill everywhere plan:
- It is now cheaper to build and run renewable wind and solar than to operate existing fossil fuel power plants. This means that people won't be building new fossil fuel plants and will be shutting down these expensive plants. They will be investing in wind and solar. This is basic economics.
- The US is flooding the market with cheap oil and is poised to continue. The result of this is that prices will drop. Demand for oil and gas is fairly inelastic. That is, transportation, heating, power generation demand is relatively fixed and responds primarily to the level of economic activity, not price. People don't suddenly commute more or ship more stuff or turn up the heat in their house when prices drop. We are starting to see oil prices drop in response to US production. The oil cartel will have to face painful cuts in production to keep prices up.
- The rest of the world will reap the benefits of cheap renewable energy. Trump may slow US adoption but that will put us at a competitive disadvantage.
- Corporations will invest in the cheapest energy and that is wind and solar (and battery storage). The basic economics of energy is shifting and I don't think Trump can change that. It would be nice to have Trumps leadership to adopt renewables but that is not going to happen.
Here is a fantasy - Teach Trump that Solar is good!!! Even PAY him his required bribe to endorse it. Pay him more than Oil and Coal pays him [probably mostly in compliments and praise]. Would even that disgusting act save the world?

Reactions: buttershrimp

Yes, a very good video ~ I had to force myself to view it all.

I repeatedly refer back to 1968 when I graduated from high school and was released into the wild. We had talked about the continent growing/forming in the ocean not understanding its depth in addition to its width. During lunch we talked about the accumulation of plastics and all things floating; but not once did we think of solutions to reducing or eliminating the natural collection of our trash at sea. Adding hand held bottled water containers to the mix did not help.

Germany has/had a law that required corporations/companies to recycle your waste from the products you purchase. So, when you bought an item and removed it from all the cardboard and plastic, you could offload it (trash) at the store ~ kind of hard for products sold over the internet, but I think you get the point. Besides, when I left Germany in 1993, the intranet/internet was a military thing and not how you ordered coffee to go. Love those egg bites:)

What will be the tipping point of shifting mankind’s low self esteem to sustainability and inclusion. There so far is only one Earth, with a pipe dream of changing Mars into a sustainable life bearing planet; or are we just looking for a new place to dump our trash?

Your video is the ugly truth of who we have become, or always have been:-( Now, what can we d to get out of this situation before it is too F~n late? My generation failed you/us, please do not let your generation fail you too.

good video - you must have spent a lot of time to produce it. As I watched snark after snark - I got angry, frustrated at "our dear leader". I could not have done this project without screaming and flame-throwing at his absurd actions.
I should have done a blooper reel on some of the video I shot... basically after two or three minutes, you hear me say, “I can’t take this f@$)&?king guy any longer”.

• Funny
Reactions: DragonWatch
No wonder Trump wants to take funding away from using satellites to observe our planet....if you can't observe it, it's not happening, right? Therefore it's a non-concern for the public and spending......

Sea Level Rise Is Accelerating: 4 Inches Per Decade (or More) by 2100

Satellite data confirm what computer models have warned for years: Oceans are rising faster as the planet warms, and coastal communities face increasing flood risk.

The study confirms that the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change(IPCC), NASA and the European Environmental Agency were correct when they found that the rate of change had increased in recent years.

@ggirke72 I fully appreciate your information about our rising sea level.

It reminds me of the old myth about putting a frog into a pot of boiling water and he (frog) will jump out. Supposedly, some TV personality tried it live without testing the myth first. Again supposedly, the TV personality was shocked when he killed the frog on live TV. True story or not, brings into question our thinking and rationalization capabilities as humans.