Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh. I thought global warming started in the 1850's according to experts. Aren't there term limits?

Yes, global warming was the worry until global cooling started 1940, according to leading academics, NASA, and the CIA - all of whom said we were on the brink of a disastrous ice age. Then...oops...global warming started in the 70's instead of an ice age. Who knows what they will be saying in a few years.

Yes, global warming was the worry until global cooling started 1940, according to leading academics, NASA, and the CIA - all of whom said we were on the brink of a disastrous ice age. Then...oops...global warming started in the 70's instead of an ice age. Who knows what they will be saying in a few years.

This is a popular denier myth that has been debunked many times. Of course, you probably are a true believer in the myth so I won't bother to post the facts. If you do want facts, you can googleit.

Global warming will depress economic growth in Trump country
Global warming will depress economic growth in Trump country | Dana Nuccitelli
I read the article AND the study it was based on and thought it was interesting and relevant information (simple fact heat makes us tired and irritable), though I'm not sure I can share it to others I know because I'm not confident in the correlation of Southern states voting habits and these affect areas from the study. Now if I knew what percentages of these industries were being affected in the Southern states listed, I wouldn't mind connecting it to the "red" votes.

show that, in the post-1997 sample, an increase in the average summer temperature negatively affects output growth in various industry groups (including food services and drinking places; insurance; wholesale; retail; and agriculture, forestry, and fishing)

And

Choudhary and Vaidyanathan (2014) provide evidence that increases in summer temperatures are associated with an increase in heat stress illness hospitalizations.8 Focusing on community hospitals, Merrill et al. (2008) report that the hospitalization costs 8Additionally, Chan et al. (2013) have shown that during the hot season in Hong Kong, hospital admissions increased by 4.5% for every increase of 1 degree Celsius above the seasonal average temperature. 21 from exposure to heat are in the order of $40 million per year, billed roughly equally to government payers (Medicare and Medicaid) and private insurance companies. Since the increase in hospitalization costs can lead to an increase in insurance payouts, we therefore hypothesize that an increase in summer temperatures can negatively affect the insurance sector.

'From coal to clean' – UK does not need to turn to gas, says WWF
'From coal to clean' – UK does not need to turn to gas, says WWF

WWF predicts that UK can skip gas and go directly to renewables as it shuts down coal. Need to add on shore wind and solar.
The UK has such a tremendous off-shore wind resource, it makes sense to develop it in earnest. As for diversification, more links to the scandinavian (Norwegian) clean energy market is a much better idea than dirty, Russian controlled NG.

This
North Sea Offshore Grid - Wikipedia
is the way to go. Hopefully the UK's dalliance with trumpism does not scuttle the project.

Last edited:
Reactions: mspohr and dhrivnak

As someone else mentioned, the climate change denier myth is scientists were predicting cooling in the 1970s. The vast majority were predicting warming back in the 1970s, but the few cooling predictions were more interesting, so they got publicity.
What were climate scientists predicting in the 1970s?

UK government still has it's head in the sand.
Failure to control the main source, diesel.

Whilst I don't doubt that they could do more, our Opposition party saying that our Government is not doing enough (pick any policy ...) is not news - particularly as it was the same Opposition Party, when last in Government, that was persuaded by German Auto makers that "Clean Diesel" was a Thing ...

The sale of Diesel cars has fallen dramatically in UK - not long ago Diesels had more than 50% of the market ...

_100714904_chart-dieselcarregistrations-bdhx6-nc.png

.. also Cities (across EU not just UK) are banning Diesel at relatively short notice and introducing additional charges (a £21.50 charge, per day, is already in place if you drive into London in a dirty-Diesel) - all of which is contributing to the slump in sales which helps the situation, over time.

Copenhagen is banning new diesels (registered after 2018) from next year ... so presumably anyone wanting to drive into Copenhagen will cause a huge slump in diesel sales ... other EU cities by early 2020's :)

... I look forward to the time when German Auto comes to rue the day that they championed Diesel instead of embracing BEV

Whilst I don't doubt that they could do more, our Opposition party saying that our Government is not doing enough (pick any policy ...) is not news - particularly as it was the same Opposition Party, when last in Government, that was persuaded by German Auto makers that "Clean Diesel" was a Thing ...
The opposition party was duped ... and the current party in power was not, or opposed diesel ?

Which brings us to today, when both parties are quite clearly informed. So what is the excuse of the current party in power ?

So what is the excuse of the current party in power ?

Same as usual, sadly, that Election Funds and Influence and Lobbying are all inter-related. But I, for one, would appreciate a bold politician, rather than a Spin and How-Do-I-Look artist.

The opposition party was duped

Certainly in part, but plenty of their own advisers were aware of NOX / particulate problems, but for whatever reason Government was "persuaded". Perhaps by German Auto that e.g. catalytic converters would solve the problem ... but in that case where's the Contract / comeback on those suppliers who failed, lied and cheated?

But on balance I think UK is doing OK on this front. Yes, definitely could do better, and whoever is on the other side in any political debate , e.g. Greens, will always complain "not enough", and I have plenty of "not enough" gripes, but short of a Bold Leader then medium-steps is the limit of my expectation and I am content with that whilst, personally, doing way more than the norm ... and, according to my wife, preventing us getting invited to dinner anywhere because I harang my hosts about using their Range Rovers for the school run :)

By by comparison I don't see USA being in a good place, failure to implement fuel prices as seen in the rest of the world means that energy use is profligate, and desire to e.g. insulate (or install PV / change to more frugal cars etc.), instead of just using more energy, is low compared to "over here". As I understand it Diesel was never a thing, for cars, in USA because refinery output was not readily available, so good thing for USA and, yes, our politicians got suckered by German Auto ... and have imposed NO Penalties over Dieselgate (another good job done by USA)

On Climate change my gripe with UK is that the requirements for Building regulations are woefully inadequate. We could make a huge dent on our oil imports by improving insulation of New Builds. Such standards are common on the continent (I don't know if enforced, or just "obvious"). Our house is Passive House standard, so needs virtually no heat in Winter (nor cooling in Summer, although [domestic] AirCon is not really a thing here); Why would we not build all houses that way? On average 7% additional capital cost, winter fuel reduced to close to nothing, and no boiler maintenance / renewal for the lifetime of the building ...

Retro-fit to Passive House standard is a nightmare, hence my gripe that New Builds are not required to be a much higher standard.

Certainly in part, but plenty of their own advisers were aware of NOX / particulate problems, but for whatever reason Government was "persuaded". Perhaps by German Auto that e.g. catalytic converters would solve the problem ... but in that case where's the Contract / comeback on those suppliers who failed, lied and cheated?
This is all very interesting, but let me clarify my point:

The excuse of the current party in power to do little because the prior opposition party in power did little ignores the obvious: time has passed, and the UK has changed. The diesel problem is better understood, the scope better defined, the solutions more evident. Acting in 2018 like the opposition in 2012 (?) is farcical, and as an excuse it is pathetic.

Reactions: mspohr
The Guardian view on Gove’s clean air plan: just hot air
The Guardian view on Gove’s clean air plan: just hot air | Editorial
Editorial in the Guardian is highly critical of Government.
The main contributor to the air quality crisis, one that sees thousands of lives ended prematurely, is road transport – a subject about which Mr Gove has strangely little to say. Instead, his plan envisages local authorities finding the cash, presumably by defunding libraries or other essential public goods, to pay for an army of local inspectors to check the dryness of the wood being sold on petrol station forecourts that is used as fuel for stoves. Given his policy’s impotence, it would be absurd to say Mr Gove is taking the issue seriously. As lives are at stake, it is actually offensive.
It is also audacious to argue, as the environment secretary did, that “Brexit will allow us to clean up Britain’s air” when his government’s air pollution plan has been rejected by the courts three times because it failed to meet legal limits set by the EU eight years ago. It becomes outrageous when one knows that Mr Gove’s strategy is a response to an EU air quality law that set legally binding emission reduction targets for five pollutants.

Reactions: SageBrush