Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that's an optimistic message. Antifa anyone?

I thought I have seen charts showing the US is one of the leading countries worldwide experiencing a reduction in greenhouse gases.

If those statistics are even remotely accurate, that was accomplished without violence.

US GHG reductions were due almost entirely to shifting from coal to gas. Our action level needs to be at ~11. Right now we're at a ~2. How was slavery ended? How was civil rights achieved? Buckle up.

Reactions: ggies07
Now that's an optimistic message. Antifa anyone?

I thought I have seen charts showing the US is one of the leading countries worldwide experiencing a reduction in greenhouse gases.

If those statistics are even remotely accurate, that was accomplished without violence.
Not optimistic, realistic. Our government has been corrupted by fossil fuel money. I'm not advocating violence but often that is what it takes to get attention. (Unfortunately, often unpredictable results.)

The small progress that has been made is pathetically inadequate.

Great article by Naomi Klein on the Green New Deal

The Game-Changing Promise of a Green New Deal

I realize that it may seem unreasonably optimistic to invest so much in a House committee, but it is not the committee itself that is my main source of hope. It is the vast infrastructure of scientific, technical, political, and movement expertise poised to spring into action should we take the first few steps down this path. It is a network of extraordinary groups and individuals who have held fast to their climate focus and commitments even when no media wanted to cover the crisis and no major political party wanted to do anything more than perform concern.

It’s a network that has been waiting a very long time for there to finally be a critical mass of politicians in power who understand not only the existential urgency of the climate crisis, but also the once-in-a-century opportunity it represents, as the draft resolution states, “to virtually eliminate poverty in the United States and to make prosperity, wealth and economic security available to everyone participating in the transformation.”

The ground for this moment has been prepared for decades, with models for community-owned and community-controlled renewable energy; with justice-based transitions that make sure no worker is left behind; with a deepening analysis of the intersections between systemic racism, armed conflict, and climate disruption; with improved green tech and breakthroughs in clean public transit; with the thriving fossil fuel divestment movement; with model legislation driven by the climate justice movement that shows how carbon taxes can fight racial and gender exclusion; and much more.

Reactions: traxila
Great article by Naomi Klein on the Green New Deal

The Game-Changing Promise of a Green New Deal

I realize that it may seem unreasonably optimistic to invest so much in a House committee, but it is not the committee itself that is my main source of hope. It is the vast infrastructure of scientific, technical, political, and movement expertise poised to spring into action should we take the first few steps down this path. It is a network of extraordinary groups and individuals who have held fast to their climate focus and commitments even when no media wanted to cover the crisis and no major political party wanted to do anything more than perform concern.

It’s a network that has been waiting a very long time for there to finally be a critical mass of politicians in power who understand not only the existential urgency of the climate crisis, but also the once-in-a-century opportunity it represents, as the draft resolution states, “to virtually eliminate poverty in the United States and to make prosperity, wealth and economic security available to everyone participating in the transformation.”

The ground for this moment has been prepared for decades, with models for community-owned and community-controlled renewable energy; with justice-based transitions that make sure no worker is left behind; with a deepening analysis of the intersections between systemic racism, armed conflict, and climate disruption; with improved green tech and breakthroughs in clean public transit; with the thriving fossil fuel divestment movement; with model legislation driven by the climate justice movement that shows how carbon taxes can fight racial and gender exclusion; and much more.

Thanks for the link. I can only imagine the forces that will be brought to bear against these "radical" tree hugers.
Of course the forces the green deal are trying to stop are much much worse.

We really only have one choice ...we MUST at least try to keep warming below 2.0 degrees

Reactions: mspohr
And Yanis Varoufakis calls for international organizations to spearhead an International Green New Deal

We shouldn't rush to save the liberal order. We should remake it
We shouldn't rush to save the liberal order. We should remake it | Yanis Varoufakis and David Adler

---
The heyday of western internationalism came immediately after the second world war, as Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal went global. On the back of the remarkable Bretton Woods system – the global monetary system established at a 1944 conference in New Hampshire – international institutions were designed to prevent the return of another Great Depression and the subsequent collapse of liberal democracy.

However, once the Bretton Woods system died out in the early 1970s, these international institutions turned against the very principles on which they were founded.

The International Monetary Fund, created to help struggling governments stay solvent, morphed into the enforcer of harsh austerity upon the weakest. By the end of the 1990s, to the people of Africa, eastern Europe and south-east Asia, the acronym IMF had become synonymous with ruinous cuts in public education, public health and social security. More recently – and against the better judgment of its own staff – the IMF assisted the European Union in extending Greece’s insolvency while dismantling protections for the neediest.

Our new international movement will fight rising fascism and globalists | Yanis Varoufakis

Similarly with the other Bretton Woods-era institution, the World Bank. Instead of acting, in accordance with its original remit, as the engine of development in the interests of those lacking access to investment funding, the World Bank worked closely with the IMF to implement the infamous Washington Consensus, spreading the gospel of liberalized financial markets, privatized natural resources and trade agreements that prioritized free movement of capital and goods – though never, of course, of people.

Then, there is the International Labor Organization. Established in the aftermath of the first world war, the ILO brought 44 nations together in a shared commitment to improving working conditions around the world – a radical vision of internationalism and the first of its kind. “Poverty anywhere constitutes a danger to prosperity everywhere,” the ILO’s constitution proclaims, “and must be addressed through both national and international action.”

Reactions: S'toon
And Yanis Varoufakis calls for international organizations to spearhead an International Green New Deal

We shouldn't rush to save the liberal order. We should remake it
We shouldn't rush to save the liberal order. We should remake it | Yanis Varoufakis and David Adler

---
The heyday of western internationalism came immediately after the second world war, as Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal went global. On the back of the remarkable Bretton Woods system – the global monetary system established at a 1944 conference in New Hampshire – international institutions were designed to prevent the return of another Great Depression and the subsequent collapse of liberal democracy.

However, once the Bretton Woods system died out in the early 1970s, these international institutions turned against the very principles on which they were founded.

The International Monetary Fund, created to help struggling governments stay solvent, morphed into the enforcer of harsh austerity upon the weakest. By the end of the 1990s, to the people of Africa, eastern Europe and south-east Asia, the acronym IMF had become synonymous with ruinous cuts in public education, public health and social security. More recently – and against the better judgment of its own staff – the IMF assisted the European Union in extending Greece’s insolvency while dismantling protections for the neediest.

Our new international movement will fight rising fascism and globalists | Yanis Varoufakis

Similarly with the other Bretton Woods-era institution, the World Bank. Instead of acting, in accordance with its original remit, as the engine of development in the interests of those lacking access to investment funding, the World Bank worked closely with the IMF to implement the infamous Washington Consensus, spreading the gospel of liberalized financial markets, privatized natural resources and trade agreements that prioritized free movement of capital and goods – though never, of course, of people.

Then, there is the International Labor Organization. Established in the aftermath of the first world war, the ILO brought 44 nations together in a shared commitment to improving working conditions around the world – a radical vision of internationalism and the first of its kind. “Poverty anywhere constitutes a danger to prosperity everywhere,” the ILO’s constitution proclaims, “and must be addressed through both national and international action.”
And the thing is, both the IMF and World Bank admitted years ago, that their neo-liberal free market fairy policies don't actually work.

There's nothing to refute. There are no scientific claims. Tell me what they are, and I'll address them. Also, tell me why TOBS bias so closely matches pairwise homogenization. Hint: because it's a good model.

Don't hide behind the "condescending" term. I've been nothing but open. You want to accept my invite to a public science debate? I'm happy to be schooled, as I love to learn. And your posts indicate that you have fact and science on your side, so I'm sure to learn a lot. One off posts in this thread that don't address data science aren't getting your point across.

I don't address the data? Lol. Pot, meet kettle. The Heller post is all about the data and I might add that you have posted no data of your own to refute it. If you can't do better than that then I'm out of here. You can start by telling me - specifically - what is wrong with the data I referenced. Any objective scientist can see that the empirical data blows away the theoretical TOBS argument. Even better, you can go check it yourself. It is readily available on govt. FTP servers. I downloaded it myself. I look forward to you doing that, analyzing it, and then enlightening me but I think I'll be waiting a while on that. ;)

LOL... love the anomaly hunting... odd how they never address the FACTS. Probably because they don't fit their narrative. Pathetic.

Which fact do you think is not true?

1) CO2 levels have risen >40% since humanities fossil fuel addiction started
2) The burning of Fossil Fuels has emitted more than twice as much CO2 as would be required for that rise
3) Doubling CO2 will cause a rise in global average temperature of >3C​

The radiative properties of CO2 have been known and tested for >100 years... How can all 3 be true but Global Warming false?

Here's your answers:

1) True! But the raw temperature data shows almost no warming during this apocalyptic CO2 rise that you guys are so upset about.
2) I have no idea and could not care less. It has little or no relevance to global climate.
3) Total nonsense or at the very least not proven by any one (theoretical models don't count as proof).

I don't address the data? Lol. Pot, meet kettle. The Heller post is all about the data and I might add that you have posted no data of your own to refute it. If you can't do better than that then I'm out of here. You can start by telling me - specifically - what is wrong with the data I referenced. Any objective scientist can see that the empirical data blows away the theoretical TOBS argument. Even better, you can go check it yourself. It is readily available on govt. FTP servers. I downloaded it myself. I look forward to you doing that, analyzing it, and then enlightening me but I think I'll be waiting a while on that. ;)
Let’s go public then. Join me online as I’ve repeatedly offered. It’ll be broadcast live, so you can flex your triple degrees.

Isn't a normal situation in Cali that following a rainy season with above-average precip, the resulting groundcover growth - grasses, etc. - becomes exactly the right tinder when followed by a hotter than average dry season to become these conflagrations?

Generally, yes. I have spent my entire six-plus decades in California. (Cali is in Colombia, by the way.)

We have basically two distinct types of wildfires--the forested wildfires like the Camp Fire and the scrub--chaparral--brush fires like the one near Malibu. Each type presents its own unique set of circumstances for sustaining a large fire.

I think what compounds our situation here is the fact that the rainy season is becoming shorter. It used to be that we would get enough precipitation by mid-to-late October with the last good drenching in late April. Nowadays, (without researching) it seems that the rainy season starts about a month later and ends about a month sooner.

Then, many of our storms more recently are "Pineapple Express" type storms that come from Hawai'i--snow levels are 6,500+ feet, and they are much warmer with larger drops of rain that tend to run off rather than percolate. Classic winter storms come from your neck of the woods and are cold with lower snow levels and with smaller raindrops that will percolate due to their smaller size. The longer moisture is retained in the soil, the longer the underbrush stays green and growing. There have been wet years where the hills stay green until late June because a lot of moisture remained in the ground. Similar wet years but with more runoff turns the same ground brown and dry by mid-May.

I am not a climate scientist, obviously. But from reading accounts from alleged experts over the years, I have gleaned that while rainfall totals may be large, all precipitation is not necessarily created equal. Combine that with a more abbreviated rainy season, and therefore a longer and warmer dry season might contribute to the increase in wildfires here.

Reactions: SmartElectric
This week, representatives from more than 150 countries are meeting in Katowice, Poland, for COP 24, or the 24th Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate.

Their goal: to find ways to reduce carbon emissions in order to combat the effects of climate change.

Last week, the United States released its National Climate Assessment, which was largely buried in the news as a result of its release over the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday. Its conclusions were in line with those of the UN and other climate organizations: global climate is changing, and "the global warming of the past 50 years is primarily due to human activities, predominantly the burning of fossil fuels."

That same day, U.S. President Donald Trump said he doesn't believe the report.

On Thursday, the UN World Meteorological Organization said global temperatures are headed for a rise of 3 to 5 C this century, far above the target of 1.5 to 2 C.

The message seems to be clear: Earth's climate is rapidly changing as a result of human activity. So how is it that some people are still reluctant to acknowledge it?

<snip>
Full article at:
The psychology of climate change: Why people deny the evidence | CBC News

Generally, yes. I have spent my entire six-plus decades in California. (Cali is in Colombia, by the way.)

We have basically two distinct types of wildfires--the forested wildfires like the Camp Fire and the scrub--chaparral--brush fires like the one near Malibu. Each type presents its own unique set of circumstances for sustaining a large fire.

I think what compounds our situation here is the fact that the rainy season is becoming shorter. It used to be that we would get enough precipitation by mid-to-late October with the last good drenching in late April. Nowadays, (without researching) it seems that the rainy season starts about a month later and ends about a month sooner.

The droughts and wildfires we are experiencing in California do not necessarily provide clear cause-and-effect data points. According to tree ring research over the last 2000 years, California has experienced far more severe mega-droughts lasting hundreds of years. The dustbowl of the 30s would be another example to a lesser scale. The Sahara desert another example.

Many of the largest fires in the United States happened early last century. So while climate is changing many of the extremes we are witnessing are not unique to our time.