Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First look under imperilled Antarctic glacier finds ‘warm water coming from all directions’
Thwaites Glacier’s collapse could raise sea levels worldwide by more than half a metre.

The warm currents could further destabilize the glacier, which is as large as the island of Great Britain and holds enough ice to boost global sea levels by an estimated 65 centimetres (see 'A precarious position'). If it collapses, Thwaites could take other parts of the western Antarctic ice sheet with it and become the single largest driver of sea-level-rise this century.

d41586-020-00497-4_17728302.png

But Pettit says the main surprise this year came from radar data detailing the structure of the ice shelf. Thwaites’s underbelly is a landscape unto itself, complete with channels, ridges and cliffs, all crafted by warm currents, she says. “It’s not just a flat sheet of ice that is melting uniformly. It’s more complex than we thought.”

New cars producing more carbon dioxide than older models

New cars producing more carbon dioxide than older models

New cars sold in the UK produce more carbon dioxide than older models, according to new research that suggests the industry is going backwards in tackling the climate crisis.

Cars that reach the latest standards of emissions use cleaner internal combustion engine technology to combat air pollution, but the relentless rise in demand for bigger, heavier models meant that average emissions of the greenhouse gas rose, according to the consumer group Which?

ice.JPG
But Pettit says the main surprise this year came from radar data detailing the structure of the ice shelf. Thwaites’s underbelly is a landscape unto itself, complete with channels, ridges and cliffs, all crafted by warm currents, she says. “It’s not just a flat sheet of ice that is melting uniformly. It’s more complex than we thought.”

Here is the satellite data since 79'

Reactions: wjax
Sierra Magazine Mar/Apr 2020 Page 40
Across the West, the BLM is clearing vast swaths of Pinon-Juniper forests to make way for cows.

We have a moral capital problem with forests.

Stopping Deforestation isn't the same as encouraging reforestation.

My primary complaint is pitching tree planting as part of the solution to climate change. That has a detrimental effect on reducing CO2 emissions due to moral licensing.

Scientists Warn Negative Emissions Are a ‘Moral Hazard’

"That's... just... like... your opinion, man."

Only in the same sense that my acceptance of climate change as a threat is an 'opinion'.... backed by TONS of peer reviewed research into human psychology.

Self-licensing

To be fair participating in protests and climate marches almost certainly have the same effect but IMO those ARE worth the cost in moral capital.

Why not just decouple the arguments? Isn't planting trees for habitat restoration enough? Why do you feel we need to also give people a 'free pass' from reducing their emissions?

Last edited:
Only in the same sense that my acceptance of climate change as a threat is an 'opinion'.... backed by TONS of peer reviewed research into human psychology.

Self-licensing

To be fair participating in protests and climate marches almost certainly have the same effect but IMO those ARE worth the cost in moral capital.

Why not just decouple the arguments? Isn't planting trees for habitat restoration enough? Why do you feel we need to also give people a 'free pass' from reducing their emissions?
Your logic doesn't hold water. By extension, any action to reduce climate change would give people license to pollute so therefore we shouldn't do anything.
The reality is that any personal action to reduce climate change leads to a positive reinforcement to encourage more action.

Reactions: ladysbff
Your logic doesn't hold water. By extension, any action to reduce climate change would give people license to pollute so therefore we shouldn't do anything.
The reality is that any personal action to reduce climate change leads to a positive reinforcement to encourage more action.

Read the research. On average that's not true. Attending a climate rally in WA I was surprised and a more than a little disappointed at the number of climate hypocrites I spoke with. 'At least I'm doing this' was a pretty common line of thought :(

Pressure builds in people for action. That pressure can be released by planting a tree, biking to work or installing solar panels. We need to break the connection to the first to make the second two more likely. Yeah... biking to work probably does relieve some 'pressure' and make purchasing solar in the near term less likely... until that pressure builds again. That's why 'moral capital' is a good way to think of this. We don't want to squander it on something as ineffective as trees.

I can almost guarantee the restaurant with a diet coke option is going to sell on average larger portions of french fries than one without. I can almost guarantee that people planting more tree leads to higher over-all emissions which won't even come close to the effect of planting those trees. Why not just avoid the risk and decouple the arguments? Why not just pitch tree planting for habitat restoration?

SCIENCE! :(

Here's the Science That Explains Why Drinking Diet Soda Makes You Gain Weight

Last edited:
You're kidding right? The site run my Schmidt and Mann? The two biggest and most invested alarmists. Well, Schmidt is more reasonable then Mann. Mann is a climate bully, full stop.

Thanks for the GISS link though. I wanted to understand their methodology. In general though I'm not a huge fan of GISS data as it has been heavily adjusted from the raw data. (Queue Ohmman) ;)

1998changesannotated.gif

Reactions: wjax
Oh, OK. Opinion piece by a CBS meteorologist. Want me to post a counter from Joe Bastardi?

The more I study this climate alarmist movement, the more I see the telltale signs of pure propaganda, and this is what should set off alarms for thinking people.

https://www.amazon.com/Propaganda-Formation-Attitudes-Jacques-Ellul/dp/0394718747

You clearly don’t understand how climate science works. If you post something that goes against the global warming religion your source must be a scientist with a climate science degree and numerous peer reviewed papers, all reviewed by global warming alarmists. However, if you post something in favor of the global warming hoax then any old weatherman will do as the author – or maybe even a troubled, uneducated 16-year-old girl with ponytails.

you clearly don’t understand how climate science works. If you post Something that goes against the global warming religion your source must be a scientist with a climate science degree and numerous peer reviewed papers, all reviewed by fellow global warming alarmist scientists. However, if you post something in favor of the global warming hoax then any old weatherman will do as the author – or maybe even a troubled, uneducated 16-year-old girl with ponytails.

Nothing has been posted that contradicts the physics or math of climate change. Noise is just noise. It's like a flat earther claiming that a plastic bag rising disproves gravity. Maybe... but really REAAALLY unlikely.

Reactions: JRP3
You're kidding right? The site run my Schmidt and Mann? The two biggest and most invested alarmists. Well, Schmidt is more reasonable then Mann. Mann is a climate bully, full stop.

Thanks for the GISS link though. I wanted to understand their methodology. In general though I'm not a huge fan of GISS data as it has been heavily adjusted from the raw data. (Queue Ohmman) ;)

1998changesannotated.gif
Ad hominem (Mann), argument from incredulity. Describe why the adjustment methodology is wrong. Reproduce a single paper. Seriously. A single paper. Because otherwise it’s just an opinion.

Reactions: JRP3 and nwdiver