Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure how to overcome third world issues when a foreign company comes along and spends lots of $$$$ to drill and extract oil.

But this does not bode well for those trying to wean the world from oil.

New Atlas: High Hopes claims stratospheric breakthrough in direct air CO2 capture.
High Hopes claims stratospheric breakthrough in direct air CO2 capture

Wow, this is brilliant! I guess we are just too proud in being able to modify our environment (and incur high cost - like fossil fuel) that we did not think about using nature (and save resources - like renewables).

New Atlas: High Hopes claims stratospheric breakthrough in direct air CO2 capture.

Wow, this is brilliant! I guess we are just too proud in being able to modify our environment (and incur high cost - like fossil fuel) that we did not think about using nature (and save resources - like renewables).
Interesting idea to capture CO2. However, you still need to do something with the CO2. Pumping it underground is only a temporary solution since it will escape. You need to convert it to mineral carbonates which requires more energy.

I'm not sure how to overcome third world issues when a foreign company comes along and spends lots of $$$$ to drill and extract oil.

But this does not bode well for those trying to wean the world from oil.
There is already much more oil that has been "discovered" than we could possibly burn without rampant climate change. Discovering more oil will not change that equation. Just more stranded assets (hopefully). The solution is to reduce the demand side which is slowly making these asset obsolete.

Interesting technology. I'm never certain whether we should be sequestering the carbon or turning into a net neutral hydrocarbon fuel for those applications like airline travel and shipping where it's difficult to replace regular fossil fuels.

Reactions: mspohr
Interesting technology. I'm never certain whether we should be sequestering the carbon or turning into a net neutral hydrocarbon fuel for those applications like airline travel and shipping where it's difficult to replace regular fossil fuels.

Yep, the option of mixing with water and forming basalt rock is more permanent than storing it in a container as gas.

Reactions: mspohr
Also, we can store a lot of CO2 in CO2 canisters for pellet guns.

You know, CO2 stored in tanks and caverns is also a good source for energy (Compressed Air Energy System). It would be close to a perpetual energy system... collect CO2 high up, bring it down and stored in tanks, release to produce energy. Now fossil fuel industry can say these renewable plants produce CO2. Almost like OTEC. This has the added benefit of effectively transferring heat to the higher level, reducing surface temp. LOL

Last edited:
E.P.A. to Announce Sharp Limits on Powerful Greenhouse Gases E.P.A. to Announce Sharp Limits on Powerful Greenhouse Gases
The proposed regulation aims to reduce the production and importation of hydrofluorocarbons, which are used in refrigeration and air-conditioning

As a Canadian, I hope the US invests HEAVILY in gases for heat pumps (fridge, air conditioned, etc) that operate in cold temps better like the CO2 based systems, this should lower prices for people in cold climates.

Make gasoline $10 per gallon would help, I agree with the article in that more incentives to buy EV’s and charging stations for people who do not have access to a garage. The only negative I worry about is how much that electricity will cost in California.

Make gasoline $10 per gallon would help, I agree with the article in that more incentives to buy EV’s and charging stations for people who do not have access to a garage. The only negative I worry about is how much that electricity will cost in California.

Easy, tie it to healthcare cost and increase gas tax to pay for Medicare For All. We are, after all, subsidizing the cost of vehicle emissions. We did something similar with cigarette tax, so this is not a new concept.

The Climate Emergency: 2020 in Review

Energy. Swiftly phasing out fossil fuels is a top priority. This can be achieved through a multipronged strategy based on rapidly transitioning to low-carbon renewables such as solar and wind power, implementing massive conservation practices, and imposing carbon fees high enough to curtail the use of fossil fuels.
Short-lived pollutants. Quickly cutting emissions of methane, black carbon (soot), hydrofluorocarbons and other short-lived climate pollutants is vital. It can dramatically reduce the short-term rate of warming, which may otherwise be difficult to affect. Specific actions to address short-lived pollutants include reducing methane emissions from landfills and the energy sector (methane), promoting improved clean cookstoves (soot) and developing better refrigerant options and management (hydrofluorocarbons).
Nature. We must restore and protect natural ecosystems such as forests, mangroves, wetlands and grasslands, allowing these ecosystems to reach their ecological potential for sequestering carbon dioxide. The logging of the Amazon, tropical forests in Southeast Asia, and other rainforests including the proposed cutting in the Tongass National Forest of Alaska is especially devastating to the climate. Creation of new protected areas, including strategic forest carbon reserves, should be a top priority. Payment for ecosystem services programs offer an equitable way for wealthier nations to help protect natural ecosystems.
Food. A dietary shift toward eating more plant-based foods and consuming fewer animal products, especially beef, would significantly reduce emissions of methane and other greenhouse gases. It would also free up agricultural lands for growing human food and, potentially, reforestation (“Nature” step). Relevant policy actions include minimizing tillage to maximize soil carbon, cutting livestock subsidies and supporting research and development of environmentally friendly meat substitutes. Reducing food waste is also critical, given that at least one third of all food produced is wasted.
Economy. We must transition to a carbon-free economy that reflects our dependence on the biosphere. Exploitation of ecosystems for profit absolutely must be halted for long-term sustainability. While this is a broad, holistic step involving ecological economics, there are specific actions that support this transition. Examples include cutting subsidies to and divesting from the fossil fuel industry.
Population. The global human population, growing by more than 200,000 people per day, must be stabilized and gradually reduced using approaches that ensure social and economic justice such as supporting education for all girls and women, and increasing the availability of voluntary family planning services.

Reactions: Raffy.Roma

Thought this might be of interest here.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr and JRP3