Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change Denial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's only 'vitally important' in the same way heroin is 'vitally important' to an addict and the dealer keeps spouting lies about how a life without heroin is impossible. There are plenty of other ways to get energy than burning ancient hydrocarbons.
That’s a silly argument if there ever was one. You are comparing heroin to aviation fuel - you know the fuel that is necessary for aircraft to fly? And need I mention diesel fuel for the marine traffic that transports our goods to trade with worldwide? Yes indeed, the petroleum industry is vitally important. But we will get off fossil fuels some day. Just look how far we have advanced technologically in just a mere 100 years!

That’s a silly argument if there ever was one. You are comparing heroin to aviation fuel - you know the fuel that is necessary for aircraft to fly? And need I mention diesel fuel for the marine traffic that transports our goods to trade with worldwide? Yes indeed, the petroleum industry is vitally important. But we will get off fossil fuels some day. Just look how far we have advanced technologically in just a mere 100 years!

There are plenty of other ways to get energy than burning ancient hydrocarbons.

It's even sillier to think that we will get off of fools fuel in time without strong mandates. It didn't happen with tobacco or leaded gasoline.... it's not going to happen with fools fuel.

Reactions: JRP3
You hate fossil fuels. Not the entire world. You are substituting the world for your own hatred of those involved with producing petroleum products. Spouting off vitriol against a vitally important industry is destructive, not constructive.
I doubt very few people like being dependent on expensive, health and environment damaging fossil fuels. Nobody likes burning fossil fuels. People didn't have a choice (until recently).

Reactions: eevee-fan and JRP3
A friend and colleague of mine told me his dad was involved with producing leaded gasoline during WWII. The leaded gas allowed fighter plane engines to operate much longer without maintenance. We were at war. The environment was not high on the list of concerns back then. After the war ended, we eventually got rid of it as the chemical engineers developed alternatives.
We also produced atom bombs, so what? Wars re-arrange priorities, and are hardly germane to this discussion. Yes, we got rid of leaded gas, in spite of the oil companies fighting it every step of the way.

No, we got rid of it because it was banned and the automotive industry was legally forced to use alternatives. And as with Tobacco and fools fuel it's continued use was also supported by industry lies
You are putting the cart before the horse. My high school chemistry teacher taught us that all lead compounds are poisonous back in 1974. And that the petrochemical industry was busy eliminating lead from gasoline. Once the oil industry was ready to produce high octane gasoline on a mass scale without lead, then it was banned. I’m older than you. I was around back then to see what happened.

Reactions: MitchMitch
We also produced atom bombs, so what? Wars re-arrange priorities, and are hardly germane to this discussion. Yes, we got rid of leaded gas, in spite of the oil companies fighting it every step of the way.
Now you are comparing atom bombs to leaded gasoline? The anti-pollution exhaust devices were factory installed on automobiles in the mid 1970s. The muscle cars of the late 1960s and early 1970s that burned “ethyl” gasoline were being phased out. When the vast majority of the public owned automobiles that burned unleaded gas, that is when leaded gas was banned - in the 1980s.

You are putting the cart before the horse. My high school chemistry teacher taught us that all lead compounds are poisonous back in 1974. And that the petrochemical industry was busy eliminating lead from gasoline. Once the oil industry was ready to produce high octane gasoline on a mass scale without lead, then it was banned. I’m older than you. I was around back then to see what happened.

And leaded gasoline only dates back to 1974?

Robert A. Kehoe

How many times does history need to repeat before people learn?

Reactions: eevee-fan
I didn’t say that. I said I learned that from my high school chemistry teacher in 1974.

Point is that just like tobacco and fools fuel the harm leaded gasoline caused was hidden with misinformation and the ban was fought. Just like with fools fuel without mandates we would still be poisoning ourselves with lead. Alternatives are no where near sufficient and often a proposed ban can lead to alternatives. Sulfur and CFCs are good examples. There were no commercially viable solutions until bans on high sulfur emissions and the use of CFCs became prevalent.

Reactions: eevee-fan
Now you are comparing atom bombs to leaded gasoline? The anti-pollution exhaust devices were factory installed on automobiles in the mid 1970s. The muscle cars of the late 1960s and early 1970s that burned “ethyl” gasoline were being phased out. When the vast majority of the public owned automobiles that burned unleaded gas, that is when leaded gas was banned - in the 1980s.
No, it was YOU who randomly added WWII into the argument, my point was (trying reading what I said...) that WII is IRRELEVANT. As, tbh, are most of your arguments.

Well if you can remember horses and carts then you are probably older than most of us :)

So, lead was known to be poisonous before it was added to gasoline. But it was added anyway .. decades before you learned chemistry. Then, after a backlash from the public, and massive efforts by environmentalists (yeah, those pesky guys you apparently despise) the oil companies were forced to remove it. And you seem to think that the oil companies are to be praised? Do you DRINK gasoline?

There was nothing random about it. Leaded gasoline served its purpose for a relatively short period of time before a better alternative was developed. That was my point.

Do you think it was the alternatives or the ban that lead to the end of leaded gasoline? Was Robert Kehoe a villain for falsely claiming leaded gasoline was safe or is that being divisive?

Reactions: iPlug and eevee-fan
Well if you can remember horses and carts then you are probably older than most of us :)

So, lead was known to be poisonous before it was added to gasoline. But it was added anyway .. decades before you learned chemistry. Then, after a backlash from the public, and massive efforts by environmentalists (yeah, those pesky guys you apparently despise) the oil companies were forced to remove it. And you seem to think that the oil companies are to be praised? Do you DRINK gasoline?
What you fail to accept is that the petroleum engineers live on this planet too. They have every bit the incentive to clean up emissions as anybody else. Government and private sector scientists have a long history of working together on improving environmental conditions.

What you fail to accept is that the petroleum engineers live on this planet too. They have every bit the incentive to clean up emissions as anybody else. Government and private sector scientists have a long history of working together on improving environmental conditions.

What you fail to accept is that plenty of petroleum engineers are either more than capable of self delusion like Robert Kehoe or more than happy to accept personal gain at the expense of collective loss.