Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

climate change - Is Elon too late?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all due respect, I am a triple degreed scientist and graduated at the top of my class. I am a climate change skeptic but I am open to evidence on either side. So do you think I shouldn’t be able to vote?

By the way, I have actually downloaded the temperature data for the last century and analyzed it myself. Have you done that?
I would be surprised if you were a scientist as:
1) graduation is waaaaaay below a PhD, let alone results being of any significance when it’s only undergrad
2) skepticism is irrelevant when you don’t publish in said field. “Opinions are like a*seholes, everyone’s got one”
3) your statement about yourself fails to take into account the most basic of concepts in statistics such as trends, averages & populations
4) Analyzing of data? See point 2)

• Funny
Reactions: S'toon and DanCar
I would be surprised if you were a scientist as:
1) graduation is waaaaaay below a PhD, let alone results being of any significance when it’s only undergrad
2) skepticism is irrelevant when you don’t publish in said field. “Opinions are like a*seholes, everyone’s got one”
3) your statement about yourself fails to take into account the most basic of concepts in statistics such as trends, averages & populations
4) Analyzing of data? See point 2)
Real quick.

1) Why would you use a bi-cubic parametric spline to define a shape instead of a non-uniform b-spline surface? List the advantages and disadvantages?

2) What does this have to do with cars?

3) How much would the temperature rise in the Pacific from 1600 to 2018 if fossil fuel was not discovered?

That herring is so red, it’s like, signature red!

It's state of the art science that surrounds you every day, and 30 years old? Probably older.

The best scientists in the world are mostly wrong about it though. At least where the rubber hits the road.

We moved to NURBS because on paper it makes sense. But in reality? All they do is represent Bi-Cubic surfaces and call them NURBS. Nobody is really using higher than 3rd order equations to represent surfaces. Hell, we are heading back to freakin' triangle meshes (STL) from where we where we started.

So is the story of Global Warming. We don't really understand the core of it, or why it is good or bad.

Sometimes you simply overthink things. But once the Grand PooBah has spoken, a bad theory can become de facto reality.

Because a linear elastic beam model wouldn't do? :)

They thought that if a cubic curve is good, a n-th degree curve is better. But within the realm of manufacturable objects, a cubic curve can define anything. Neither solve boundary curves well, but if anything, leaving everything cubic makes it seal better.

AFAIK, when you pull back the covers, all we did was reformat cubic curves and call then n-th degree curves, but n always equals 3.

It's been decades, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

But back to the topic, if you don't understand what you need as a finished product, you can do some very silly things with math and call it science.

Reactions: Sandollars
It’s why voting should be weighted by IQ score & education level

Didn't Hitler try something like this?

thegruf is lucky it isn't weighted by spelling abilities :)

na·ive·té
ˌnäˌēvəˈtā,näˈēv(ə)ˌtā/
noun
  1. lack of experience, wisdom, or judgment.
    "the administration's naiveté and inexperience in foreign policy"
    • innocence or unsophistication.
      "they took advantage of his naiveté and deep pockets"
      synonyms: innocence, ingenuousness, guilelessness, artlessness, unworldliness, trustfulness;More

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
It's state of the art science that surrounds you every day, and 30 years old? Probably older.

The best scientists in the world are mostly wrong about it though. At least where the rubber hits the road.

We moved to NURBS because on paper it makes sense. But in reality? All they do is represent Bi-Cubic surfaces and call them NURBS. Nobody is really using higher than 3rd order equations to represent surfaces. Hell, we are heading back to freakin' triangle meshes (STL) from where we where we started.

So is the story of Global Warming. We don't really understand the core of it, or why it is good or bad.

Sometimes you simply overthink things. But once the Grand PooBah has spoken, a bad theory can become de facto reality.
Anthropogenic Global Warming ‘science’ - “Hey guys you’re not supposed to be using a thermometer, it’s supposed to be a barometer”
I’m sure they’ll appreciate the input on how they’ve got it so wrong....

Anthropogenic Global Warming ‘science’ - “Hey guys you’re not supposed to be using a thermometer, it’s supposed to be a barometer”
I’m sure they’ll appreciate the input on how they’ve got it so wrong....

I'd love for just one of the most experienced (has actually solved problems in their field) PhDs come out and say, "If we do X then Y will absolutely occur. If you look at this example, which removes all other variables, you will see how these two items interact as a function."

Since your chosen screen name is Nuclear Fusion, a brief fairy tale.

Once upon a time there were the smartest scientists in their field working on a device.
This required very precise mathematics and engineering for this device to even function at all.
Everything was done down to a gnat's ass.
So they tested the device, and knew exactly how it would behave. Everything about it was defined in physics and chemistry. No doubts at all. In fact, this was not even their first rodeo; they built and tested this kind of device before and knew what to expect.

You might have read about this as the Bikini Atoll SNAFU. We poisoned the islanders and naval personnel who were at a 'scientifically safe distance', destroyed lots of test equipment, and generally made an ass out of experts, and poisoned the entire planet earth to a degree.

The yield was at least 3 times higher than mathematics and physics demanded it be. How DARE reality poke it's head in where it doesn't belong!!

Like any good fairy tale you need a villain. That would be Edward Teller (World's Smartest Man if you asked him), Edgar J. Hoover (World's Most Honest Man if you asked him), and certain US Bureaucrats (World's Best Upholders of Freedom if you asked them). They turned on the perhaps the real 'smartest guy in the room' who might have been able to see where the experts had it wrong.

Teller should have been sent to prison, and would have been in many countries. He went unpunished. And Edgar J. Hoover should have been deported to Moscow where he belonged.

To bring it back full circle, many if not most these folk are from Berkeley and Lawrence Livermore. Yeah, Berkeley. That city who just stated they want to fix the environment by killing off the humans. Maybe they need to work on more H-bombs? That'll do it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
BTW - Mauna Loa is interesting. We melted our shoes and watched lava flow into the Pacific. It smells strongly of sulfur and is due for another major eruption soon (geologically). It's the tallest mountain on earth IIRC if you measure it from it's base to it's peak? (most of it is underwater).
A very strange place to measure average levels of anything. Europe has been industrialized far longer than the US, let's check there:

File:Greenhouse gas emissions (including international aviation, indirect CO2 and excluding LULUCF) trend, EU-28, 1990 - 2015 (Index 1990=100)-Fig1.png - Statistics Explained

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/blogs/climateqa/mauna-loa-co2-record/?src=climateqa-rss

How do scientists know that Mauna Loa's volcanic emissions don't affect the carbon dioxide data collected there?

"Mauna Loa is indeed an active volcano; it last erupted in 1950, 1975, and 1984. Between eruptions, it emits variable amounts of carbon dioxide (CO2) and sulfur dioxide (SO2) from fissures at the summit. The observatory is located on the northern slope of the mountain, 4 miles away from and 2,600 feet lower than the summit, which is 13,675 feet above sea level."

Mauna Loa Observatory
"Most of the time, the observatory experiences “baseline” conditions and measures clean air which has been over the Pacific Ocean for days or weeks. We know this because the CO2 analyzer usually gives a very steady reading which varies by less than 3/10 of a part per million (ppm) from hour to hour. These are the conditions we use to calculate the monthly averages that go into the famous 50-year graph of atmospheric CO2 concentration."

"We only detect volcanic CO2 from the Mauna Loa summit late at night at times when the regional winds are light and southerly. Under these conditions, a temperature inversion forms above the ground, and the volcanic emissions are trapped near the surface and travel down our side of the mountain slope. When the volcanic emissions arrive at the observatory, the CO2 analyzer readings increase by several parts per million, and the measured amounts become highly variable for periods of several minutes to a few hours. In the last decade, this has occurred on about 15% of nights between midnight and 6 a.m."

"NOAA’s Earth Science Research Laboratory program also measures CO2 in weekly flask samples taken at over 60 remote locations around the world. The Mauna Loa Observatory baseline CO2 concentrations agree very well with flask measurements taken at a similar latitude around the world, which confirms that the volcanic CO2 does not affect our final results."

So no matter how weird you think that location is, it gives the same results as if they did it at any of 60 other locations.

For such a "smart" guy who does not like to be "talked down" to ...you sure talk down to a lot of people.

Of course science is wrong on some level's. But a smart person defers to expert's EVEN in one's own field. Now I don't say one should blindly follow them but one should respect the fact that hey I might may be wrong.

If you need medical treatment I would hope you will respect the medical expert's advice....but who knows your so smart you can probably cure yourself.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/blogs/climateqa/mauna-loa-co2-record/?src=climateqa-rss

How do scientists know that Mauna Loa's volcanic emissions don't affect the carbon dioxide data collected there?

"NOAA’s Earth Science Research Laboratory program also measures CO2 in weekly flask samples taken at over 60 remote locations around the world. The Mauna Loa Observatory baseline CO2 concentrations agree very well with flask measurements taken at a similar latitude around the world, which confirms that the volcanic CO2 does not affect our final results."

So no matter how weird you think that location is, it gives the same results as if they did it at any of 60 other locations.

If they got their math correct that is. Remember they are paid, and their jobs depend on, a certain outcome.

Is it over 3 times the CO2? Did they measure it using Hubble Telescope Math? Mars Lawn Dart math?

If they got their math correct that is. Remember they are paid, and their jobs depend on, a certain outcome.

Is it over 3 times the CO2? Did they measure it using Hubble Telescope Math? Mars Lawn Dart math?

you don't have to do math to read a digital screen

713Du92Qd4L._SL1500_.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy and derekt75
@McRat you posted a link to File:Greenhouse gas emissions (including international aviation, indirect CO2 and excluding LULUCF) trend, EU-28, 1990 - 2015 (Index 1990=100)-Fig1.png - Statistics Explained earlier and then made a comment on how the NOAA numbers are 3x higher.

You apparently don't realize the chart you linked to is in % compared to 100% at the start of the period and the NOAA numbers are in ppm. There is no 3x to compare as one is relative and the other is absolute. You don't have enough information without knowing what the 100% ppm was on the chart you linked to know if it is more or less.

The proper ppm chart for europe is at Trends in atmospheric concentrations of CO2, CH4 and N2O

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy