Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

climate change - Is Elon too late?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@McRat you posted a link to File:Greenhouse gas emissions (including international aviation, indirect CO2 and excluding LULUCF) trend, EU-28, 1990 - 2015 (Index 1990=100)-Fig1.png - Statistics Explained earlier and then made a comment on how the NOAA numbers are 3x higher.

You apparently don't realize the chart you linked to is in % compared to 100% at the start of the period and the NOAA numbers are in ppm. There is no 3x to compare as one is relative and the other is absolute. You don't have enough information without knowing what the 100% ppm was on the chart you linked to know if it is more or less.

I will be the first to admit I'm pretty stupid. The amount of things I don't know grows geometrically as I age.

But what I'm referring to about the 3x factor was how much the leading scientists in the world got their math wrong about the hydrogen bomb they detonated on Bikini Atoll.

These scientists were paid for a certain outcome. And while the outcome basically did occur (their paychecks didn't bounce), the outcome was not what they thought it would be.

The other references to math mistakes causing billions of dollars of damages didn't cost human lives like Teller's mistake did.

Reactions: jrad6515
I will be the first to admit I'm pretty stupid. The amount of things I don't know grows geometrically as I age.

I don't care about your other comparisons. You linked to an output chart and compared it to a capacity chart.

That'd be like measuring the flow through a fuel line over time and comparing it to the graph of how much gas is in the gas tank over time. Two totally different concepts.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: Troy and dhrivnak
Slightly off topic - Why isn't the Green Community infuriated by Cryptocurrency?

A massive amount of CO2 is produced every hour in heavily populated regions for no reason whatsoever. Well, except greed. No upside. Completely wasted energy, much of it from coal (China).

About 66 TWh a year now.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Owner

"To ethically mine cryptocurrency, renewable energy must be used."

How about BitCoin pollutes the World? Instead of "we need cleaner energy to keep mining BitCoin if possible."

Or "only psychopaths who want to destroy the planet use crytocurrency".

It's a perfect example of what I'm referring to. Pollution and eco-destruction is bad unless it allows you to get rich without work.

Trivia, there are about 1 Billion cars on earth.

Bitcoin power use would cover each car for 260,000 miles a year if they were EV, or 712 miles per day, that is 30 mph 24/7/365 for the entire globe.

That my friends makes EVs totally pointless. None can recharge enough allowing for battery swaps and actual average charging speeds. So if we made all cars EVs, emissions would still climb since crytocurrency power use is rising faster than EV adoption.

I bet Elon has said nothing about crytocurrency.

I don't regret using thousands of kWh for Folding @ Home for Stanford. That was networked supercomputing (the largest on earth at one point) used in an attempt to determine how diseases related to protein folding errors.

As soon as somebody realized that could make MONEY instead of medical research, most volunteer efforts went into the toilet.

Last edited:
If you are not greedy, here's more power than you would normally have in 2013 to help cure disease:

64 cores Opteron Linux overclocked Honda Civic radiator water-cooling, 4 CPU
32 cores Opteron Linux overclocked high velocity air cooling, 2 CPU
2 x 24 cores Opteron Linux, recycled from Lawrence Livermore nuclear weapons supercomputer, 4 CPU
two 20 amp circuits

on other circuits

24 cores more pure cores, Opteron Linux, recycled from Lawrence Livermore nuclear weapons supercomputer
12 Intel Hyperthreaded cores (24 reported)
12 Intel Hypertreaded cores (24 reported)
2 Playstations
1 MacBook Pro
1 i7 Intel Notebook
3x six core AMD work computers
8x four core AMD work computers

If I wasn't an idiot, they probably would have made me a billionaire with Bitcoin. I figured Stanford needed it more, as did humanity, so I cracked the whip. When they switched to GPU's I surrendered.

IIRC, I peaked at about 2.5 million PPD.

Some of these are still around. If you want to fire them up, let me know.

Last edited:
I'd love for just one of the most experienced (has actually solved problems in their field) PhDs come out and say, "If we do X then Y will absolutely occur. If you look at this example, which removes all other variables, you will see how these two items interact as a function."

Since your chosen screen name is Nuclear Fusion, a brief fairy tale.

Once upon a time there were the smartest scientists in their field working on a device.
This required very precise mathematics and engineering for this device to even function at all.
Everything was done down to a gnat's ass.
So they tested the device, and knew exactly how it would behave. Everything about it was defined in physics and chemistry. No doubts at all. In fact, this was not even their first rodeo; they built and tested this kind of device before and knew what to expect.

You might have read about this as the Bikini Atoll SNAFU. We poisoned the islanders and naval personnel who were at a 'scientifically safe distance', destroyed lots of test equipment, and generally made an ass out of experts, and poisoned the entire planet earth to a degree.

The yield was at least 3 times higher than mathematics and physics demanded it be. How DARE reality poke it's head in where it doesn't belong!!

Like any good fairy tale you need a villain. That would be Edward Teller (World's Smartest Man if you asked him), Edgar J. Hoover (World's Most Honest Man if you asked him), and certain US Bureaucrats (World's Best Upholders of Freedom if you asked them). They turned on the perhaps the real 'smartest guy in the room' who might have been able to see where the experts had it wrong.

Teller should have been sent to prison, and would have been in many countries. He went unpunished. And Edgar J. Hoover should have been deported to Moscow where he belonged.

To bring it back full circle, many if not most these folk are from Berkeley and Lawrence Livermore. Yeah, Berkeley. That city who just stated they want to fix the environment by killing off the humans. Maybe they need to work on more H-bombs? That'll do it.
My goodness the level of red herring that anthropogenic global warming science denial goes to...

Gish gallop - I'll leave it to the readers of this post to figure out who posted the most messages in this thread and why.
Ha ha.
You’ll find the more ‘informed’ deniers (oxymoron?) on forums will serve up plenty of scientific Gish gallop (& other logical fallacies) to confound forumites. Dealt with it for years, now. Nothing new.
Always revert to “opinions are like ar*eholes, everyone’s got one” - until you publish in a reputable peer review journal, your opinion means sh*t.

Guess which end of the spectrum has higher IQ, higher education & lower neurobiological fear response?
Matters not, when something doesn’t fit the narrative simply deny the (peer reviewed) science.

There are networked grids to increase humanities understanding of the universe around them. Join one.

Or just join the marketing department of whatever megacorp pulls your chain the hardest.