TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Climate Change Update Investor Thread

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by adesai, Jun 9, 2019.

1. adesai

adesai Member

Think it'd be good to track climate change events and worldwide disaster recovery efforts alongside prioritization opportunities in the "market" for Tesla, if possible.

e.g. stuff like this is happening:
    Rick Thoman on Twitter
    Bill McKibben on Twitter

With the top 3 polluters being China, USA, and India (not in that order)...think we should look and size the various markets per country as well as the efforts in each to identify market opportunities in transportation and utilities (basically products, companies, market calculations, and updates). It might also be good to understand the major climate disasters that are occurring worldwide and share, specifically, the financing problems and opportunities available to recommend strategy in Tesla's current offerings.

Thoughts?

2. HG Wells

HG Wells Member

WHY ?
    Our fearless leader says its a Chinese plot !

It will be addressed after the current administration is gone.

3. adesai

adesai Member

#3 adesai, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Well, it's about trends to me - for example, think the opportunities in India with Ola (i.e. ridesharing) and electric rikshas (already being produced out by current/new manufacturers) is greater now (and much more permanent in innovation occuring because of climate events). Also, it's something worthwhile for Tesla to get involved in (even though it goes against national interests to make everything in-country). Love Modi as a leader in India, but I wonder what activities and strategies Tesla can do to help spur emissions in India while still helping the country's national interests.

Riksha's primer: Auto rickshaw - Wikipedia
    Top 10 e-rikshas: Top 10 e-rickshaw Manufacturers in India 2019
    Battery swapping: India Goes Electric With Battery-Swapping Rickshaws

Much like what they're doing in China with having a specially made car for the region, think there's many countries that have a different feel and look for their tastes. Further, their needs, based on cultural and environmental needs, may change depending on how climate changes as well per country. Musk has talked about a mini-version Tesla vehicle in the past (which we haven't heard much of lately):

Tesla is working on a 'Tesla mini-car', says Elon Musk - Electrek

4. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

Well, might as well put this here.

1. If anyone thinks Tesla/Elon cares at all about the share price, they have not been paying attention for the last decade or so.
    2. Elon cares about raising enough money to go to another planet. That is his vision. Elon probably cares about this as...
    3. Last year the Amazon rain forest, emitted more carbon than it took in. This equals more than all US traffic combined.
    4. some scientists think , we have passed the point of no return. we have fallen over the cliff. the planet will continue to heat. the ocean ecosystem, and subsequently the earths will collapse.
    5. . we are in the sixth great extinction, right now ( i know, hard to believe when standing in line at Costco).
    6. estimates say we lose 100 species PER DAY.
    7. remember grade 5 science- the 'web' of life. we are dependent on other organisms for survival. without them, there will be widespread famine, drought, and a collapse of life as we know it.
    8. money will be worthless in probably our kids lifetimes. Not grandkids. our kids.

so getting back to investing in climate change. to me the question, is where to buy/invest in some land, and become a "50 year prepper" that might, just might give my kids another few years of food/water/shelter that is a least a bit removed for the utter chaos that likely is coming.

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29, M3P 80k

Well, really, humans in the Amazon basin emitted more carbon dioxide by burning what used to be rainforest. :-(

• Helpful x 1
  6. adesai

adesai Member

:( It's easy to be cynical when you see trends well. Though, I think it's more useful to work towards improving things that may seem dire, if nothing's changed (e.g. null hypothesis is EV and Electrification not happening). It's probably best to work off of the null hypothesis in order to continue forcing the issue, at hand, of climate change IMO. Then, make recommendations to improve off of it. That's why I created this topic in the first place. Thanks.

7. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

Sorry. Was not tying to be cynical. Was trying to be factual. Cynicism involves belief, or disregard for the norm. What I stated was factual, evidenced based. I actually agree things seem more dire than dead, but truly dire is now the defacto optimistic viewpoint on climate change. Does not mean I won’t do what I can, but I am of the strong belief, we need laws governing the actions of corporations and individuals to stop what is happening. Laws that need enactment NOW. Immediately. It’s a crisis unfolding before our eyes, yet it’s business as usual. In war governments have drafted people to fight, and have a significant chance of dying. So why are we so scared to disrupt the business norm with harsh laws and major shifts? People would survive as long as programs were put into place to endure these mass shifts, providing those with unemployment food, and shelter. Would that be more than the cost of war? Even if it was who cares. You can’t eat money.

So as said if you want to profit off that, the opportunity arises to build a bio dome that is its own self supporting ecosystem. Who says you need mars to do that?

• Helpful x 1
  8. adesai

adesai Member

Well, thanks for trying!

9. UrsS

UrsS Member

Listen to Greta Thunberg:

Greta Thunberg addressing the British Parliament (excerpts):

My name is Greta Thunberg. I am 16 years old. I come from Sweden. And I speak on behalf of future generations. I know many of you don’t want to listen to us — you say we are just children. But we’re only repeating the message of the united climate science.

Now we probably don’t even have a future any more. Because that future was sold so that a small number of people could make unimaginable amounts of money. It was stolen from us every time you said that the sky was the limit, and that you only live once.

You lied to us. You gave us false hope. You told us that the future was something to look forward to. And the saddest thing is that most children are not even aware of the fate that awaits us. We will not understand it until it’s too late. And yet we are the lucky ones. Those who will be affected the hardest are already suffering the consequences. But their voices are not heard.

During the last six months I have traveled around Europe for hundreds of hours in trains, electric cars and buses, repeating these life-changing words over and over again. But no one seems to be talking about it, and nothing has changed. In fact, the emissions are still rising.

When I have been traveling around to speak in different countries, I am always offered help to write about the specific climate policies in specific countries. But that is not really necessary. Because the basic problem is the same everywhere. And the basic problem is that basically nothing is being done to halt – or even slow – climate and ecological breakdown, despite all the beautiful words and promises.

But perhaps the most dangerous misconception about the climate crisis is that we have to “lower” our emissions. Because that is far from enough. Our emissions have to stop if we are to stay below 1.5-2º C of warming. The “lowering of emissions” is of course necessary but it is only the beginning of a fast process that must lead to a stop within a couple of decades, or less. And by “stop” I mean net zero — and then quickly on to negative figures. That rules out most of today’s politics.

The fact that we are speaking of “lowering” instead of “stopping” emissions is perhaps the greatest force behind the continuing business as usual. The UK’s active current support of new exploitation of fossil fuels — for example, the UK shale gas fracking industry, the expansion of its North Sea oil and gas fields, the expansion of airports as well as the planning permission for a brand new coal mine — is beyond absurd."

“So, exactly how do we solve that?” you ask us — the schoolchildren striking for the climate. And we say, “No one knows for sure. But we have to stop burning fossil fuels and restore nature and many other things that we may not have quite figured out yet.

Then you say: “That’s not an answer!” So we say: “We have to start treating the crisis like a crisis — and act even if we don’t have all the solutions.

“That’s still not an answer,” you say. Then we start talking about circular economy and rewilding nature and the need for a just transition. Then you don’t understand what we are talking about.

We say that all those solutions needed are not known to anyone and therefore we must unite behind the science and find them together along the way. But you do not listen to that. Because those answers are for solving a crisis that most of you don’t even fully understand. Or don’t want to understand.

We children are doing this to wake the adults up. We children are doing this for you to put your differences aside and start acting as you would in a crisis. We children are doing this because we want our hopes and dreams back.

I hope my microphone was on. I hope you could all hear me.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 2
  10. adesai

adesai Member