Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change Update Investor Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@NakedLong:
Wikipedia:
600px-Post-Glacial_Sea_Level.png

For the last 7k years the sea has been constantly on the rise.
Before that rising was even faster.
1 m in 100 years is nothing unprecedented, historical view lacks the resolution.

The problem with this chart is it doesn't give an idea of how a recent acceleration in sea level rise is going to affect residential and commercial property.

2-4 thousand years ago a lot of us were nomadic hunter gathers a life style better able to adapt to sea level rise.

Why this is relevant for a Tesla investor forum is Tesla is selling the product that help reduce CO2 emissions when mankind gets serious about reducing emissions, Tesla sells more products.

Mankind will become increasingly serious and evidence and actual financial losses start to mount.

I agree with reading the IPCC reports, they are the best source, but give a range of outcomes...

Sea level rise is only one outcome, something that wasn't a big deal 4 thousand years ago..... even taking that off the table there are lots of other bad impacts...

We would be crazy to keep emitting this much CO2, we have been crazy to emit as much as we have. Tesla and Elon are working on affordable solutions... that is good for the bottom line, but even better for humanity..

Imagine if EVs were totally off the table and everyone had given up,.we would be looking at getting FCEV working ASAP, energy storage batteries would be more expensive.... we would be 10 years away from viable solutions... solutions we have today.

The problem with this chart is it doesn't give an idea of how a recent acceleration in sea level rise is going to affect residential and commercial property.
The problem with MMCC (man-made-climate-change) hysteria is that is missing one crucial point: it is inevitable. We will be hit hard, sooner or later, back-to-the-stone-age-hard.

We've built a society that believes and relies on almost constant environment - dogma of gradualism.
Evidence shows nature plays different game, it slides from one pseudo equilibrium into another in fast swings. Burning coal, oil, wind or sun ... matters not.

• Disagree
Reactions: dhrivnak and UrsS
An the problem with MMCC (man-made-climate-change) hysteria is that is missing one crucial point: it is inevitable.
We will be hit hard, sooner or later, back-to-the-stone-age-hard.
Burning coal, oil, wind or sun, matters not.

There is a difference between being inevitable over a timescale of 500 years. and being inevitable over a timescale of 50 years..
One big difference is ecosystems find it hard to adapt to rapid change...

We are more or less on an evolutionary treadmill where once we stop stuffing up the planet, we have not choice but to fix the planet.
So to not become extinct we need time to invent the technologies to fix the planet... the political side of this is harder than the technology... the technology for zero additional CO2 emissions already exists...

Rebuilding broken ecosystems will not be easy... growing algae as a food source is easy...

Going back the the stone age is extinction ... there will be nothing to eat. for most of us...

One reasonably mundane example of the effect of rising sea levels on Miami - the locals now have a timetable for something they call KingTides, so people know when to expect routine flooding (often - water coming back up out of the stormwater system and flooding streets) due to particularly high tides.

King Tides

It's become something they know about, have a schedule for, and just deal with. This first link is one page from a larger regional plan for how they combat these - pumps to bail the city (or at least regions), rebuilding roads and other infrastructure so they are further above sea level, and so forth.

Here's a sensationalized, view from the man-on-the-street, reporting from locals:
King Tide Is Over — Here Are the Craziest Miami Flood Videos

These are also described as sunny day floods :)

It looks to me like this is exactly what we should expect in areas that are very close to sea level, with minor variations in day to day sea levels making life less livable than normal. Of course, at some point, these KingTides are the new normal, and those KingTides are invading homes that haven't built up.

And at some point, Miami starts looking more like Venice (or at least, Venice as it lives in myth and story - I haven't actually been there to make a personal assessment or comparison).

Sorry, me neither.
My comment was orthogonal to trump and current politics.
I'm expressing my pain at almost total disregard our current science and public is putting to 'a bit bigger picture'.

Google Younger Drias and Hiawatha crater.
Wikipedia is terrible source for this, it just mirrors our biggest problem - blind eye for anything not mainstream.

• Informative
Reactions: UrsS and Skipdd
https://www.washingtonpost.com/clim...-only-way-avoid-worst-impacts-climate-change/

I will skate through whatever years I have left; like everyone, leaving the mess to be cleaned up by someone else.

A grandnephew at the ripe old age of 3+ years died on the 21st of November 2019. That was to have been a decompression day anyway. We had just flown back from Hawaii (Maui), I had had my seventh birthday (15th) it was my sister’s birthday (21st) and Elon was set to unveil the CyberTruck. Jasher’s sister, a little older at the time died four and a half years earlier ~ the family has now lost two babies ~ genetic testing has just begun. Some stupid person said, “he is in a better place.”

It seems I have been exposed to too much death over my short lifespan. If you would like the record; trust me, it is yours. While I voluntarily resigned my military career in 1994, so my wife could pursue a career of her desires, it was like killing myself. I watched a prerecorded Seal Team TV show, after returning from Hawaii, while my wife was gone; she can do without the war stuff. Jason (I think) went thru withdrawals realizing after a physical injury could end his active military career. His superiors were encouraging staff jobs where he could remain on active duty. I went thru that same withdrawal, only I kept it internal. The loss of a career, no matter how you lose it, is a death. Following the loss of my military career; my family suffered other significant losses. Through all my losses of which included the loss of democracy and a declining climate that I experienced first hand back in the summer of 1978, so far I can still stand here before you.

I live on a small lake in Washington. I and my wife maneuvered ourselves over the years to this location. Over the last five years as we drive around, we comment to each other about the increase in heat stressed deaths of our forests around us. This year included clear cuts of large swaths of the forest timber. The migration of people here is increasing significantly and they want the same beauty we have come to love and enjoy. But it comes at ever increasing clear cutting trees and loss of homes to all the creatures that live there. Buba (sp) over the hill spends his money shooting; but his home schooled military freedom trading is coming to an end. Too many people, and no forests to hid in.

Back to Maui. The cove we like to snorkel in has all but lost its beach. Condos that were to die for once upon a time are all too frequently flooded during higher than what use to be infrequent tides.

Spent big bucks to snorkel in and around a relatively uninhabited island ~ only to find large amounts of coral dying off. My wife had breakfast while in Portland with my third cousin last week. Her, second cousin, family has decided sea level rise is real and they are only just now thinking of selling their ocean front compound on the big island. Some fool will buy it.

The signs of death by climate change are all around you/us. There were two palm trees missing, their roots had been eroded since one of our Other visits to Maui. Had my birthday at Mama’s Fish House. We had stayed there several years before, and noticed a tree missing as we walked along the beach following dinner.

People in Los Angels will not move because of the smog that I ran in as a teenager. I ran track and cross country. No, people will migrate out as it becomes too damned hot. I cannot for the life of me understand why people would rebuild a home in Paradise, California. Kathleen Avenue or street ~ whatever ~ it was named after my sister by my father. He, a high school friend or two and I planted five hundred sapling pine trees there in the sixties. A high school friend of my wife’s just posted a picture of their replacement home in it’s almost complete stage in Paradise, California.

The US/Mexican wall ~ climate change.

Homeless population growth ~ climate change.

War used to be our solution to population growth ~ according to my draft dodging high school teacher. Maybe his name was Trump.

I have ”steeled” myself over the years and fought thru the anger associated with the loss of life, jobs, relationships and so on ~ I have “Steeled” myself.

Maybe you have read or watched the Hunger Games. There are other fascinating stories, but the signs are all around you. No matter your elitism, you or your family will die due to climate change. My wife and I had to walk earlier, almost O’dark-thirty to avoid the heat on Maui.

Any bets some folks are building underground facilities to house the anointed ones? They cannot hold their breath long enough ~ even underground. Mankind has lived on the face of the earth for four to six hundred thousand years. California Quail will not return, just sayin’. What will the unnatural evolution of mankind look like under artificial light and oxogen? Will they become maggots like we were called during basic training at Fort Ord, California in May and June of 1969? Basic trainees had white name tags and were called maggots as we low crawled in the sand among the ice plants. The havoc, death and distraction of climate change will not heal itself over night or possibly even another four to six hundred thousand years.

Society, yes even the US population has grown addicted to “little yellow pills.” While teaching at a community college near us, I told my students that people took these pills to be stupid ~ stupidity is not genetic, again just sayin’. A person has to deliberately want to be stupid or they are too lazy. I wanted my students to become who they wanted to become, not, not who they were told to become.

To reach the turning around results of unchecked climate change as implied in the above article, who will you watch die or will you kill because you “had your life.” Simple test ~ are you blessed or are you grateful? There is a yes or no; up or down, blessed or grateful answer here.

Would you like another yellow pill?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clim...-only-way-avoid-worst-impacts-climate-change/

I will skate through whatever years I have left; like everyone, leaving the mess to be cleaned up by someone else.

A grandnephew at the ripe old age of 3+ years died on the 21st of November 2019. That was to have been a decompression day anyway. We had just flown back from Hawaii (Maui), I had had my seventh birthday (15th) it was my sister’s birthday (21st) and Elon was set to unveil the CyberTruck. Jasher’s sister, a little older at the time died four and a half years earlier ~ the family has now lost two babies ~ genetic testing has just begun. Some stupid person said, “he is in a better place.”

It seems I have been exposed to too much death over my short lifespan. If you would like the record; trust me, it is yours. While I voluntarily resigned my military career in 1994, so my wife could pursue a career of her desires, it was like killing myself. I watched a prerecorded Seal Team TV show, after returning from Hawaii, while my wife was gone; she can do without the war stuff. Jason (I think) went thru withdrawals realizing after a physical injury could end his active military career. His superiors were encouraging staff jobs where he could remain on active duty. I went thru that same withdrawal, only I kept it internal. The loss of a career, no matter how you lose it, is a death. Following the loss of my military career; my family suffered other significant losses. Through all my losses of which included the loss of democracy and a declining climate that I experienced first hand back in the summer of 1978, so far I can still stand here before you.

I live on a small lake in Washington. I and my wife maneuvered ourselves over the years to this location. Over the last five years as we drive around, we comment to each other about the increase in heat stressed deaths of our forests around us. This year included clear cuts of large swaths of the forest timber. The migration of people here is increasing significantly and they want the same beauty we have come to love and enjoy. But it comes at ever increasing clear cutting trees and loss of homes to all the creatures that live there. Buba (sp) over the hill spends his money shooting; but his home schooled military freedom trading is coming to an end. Too many people, and no forests to hid in.

Back to Maui. The cove we like to snorkel in has all but lost its beach. Condos that were to die for once upon a time are all too frequently flooded during higher than what use to be infrequent tides.

Spent big bucks to snorkel in and around a relatively uninhabited island ~ only to find large amounts of coral dying off. My wife had breakfast while in Portland with my third cousin last week. Her, second cousin, family has decided sea level rise is real and they are only just now thinking of selling their ocean front compound on the big island. Some fool will buy it.

The signs of death by climate change are all around you/us. There were two palm trees missing, their roots had been eroded since one of our Other visits to Maui. Had my birthday at Mama’s Fish House. We had stayed there several years before, and noticed a tree missing as we walked along the beach following dinner.

People in Los Angels will not move because of the smog that I ran in as a teenager. I ran track and cross country. No, people will migrate out as it becomes too damned hot. I cannot for the life of me understand why people would rebuild a home in Paradise, California. Kathleen Avenue or street ~ whatever ~ it was named after my sister by my father. He, a high school friend or two and I planted five hundred sapling pine trees there in the sixties. A high school friend of my wife’s just posted a picture of their replacement home in it’s almost complete stage in Paradise, California.

The US/Mexican wall ~ climate change.

Homeless population growth ~ climate change.

War used to be our solution to population growth ~ according to my draft dodging high school teacher. Maybe his name was Trump.

I have ”steeled” myself over the years and fought thru the anger associated with the loss of life, jobs, relationships and so on ~ I have “Steeled” myself.

Maybe you have read or watched the Hunger Games. There are other fascinating stories, but the signs are all around you. No matter your elitism, you or your family will die due to climate change. My wife and I had to walk earlier, almost O’dark-thirty to avoid the heat on Maui.

Any bets some folks are building underground facilities to house the anointed ones? They cannot hold their breath long enough ~ even underground. Mankind has lived on the face of the earth for four to six hundred thousand years. California Quail will not return, just sayin’. What will the unnatural evolution of mankind look like under artificial light and oxogen? Will they become maggots like we were called during basic training at Fort Ord, California in May and June of 1969? Basic trainees had white name tags and were called maggots as we low crawled in the sand among the ice plants. The havoc, death and distraction of climate change will not heal itself over night or possibly even another four to six hundred thousand years.

Society, yes even the US population has grown addicted to “little yellow pills.” While teaching at a community college near us, I told my students that people took these pills to be stupid ~ stupidity is not genetic, again just sayin’. A person has to deliberately want to be stupid or they are too lazy. I wanted my students to become who they wanted to become, not, not who they were told to become.

To reach the turning around results of unchecked climate change as implied in the above article, who will you watch die or will you kill because you “had your life.” Simple test ~ are you blessed or are you grateful? There is a yes or no; up or down, blessed or grateful answer here.

Would you like another yellow pill?
When we all lived in groups of 150 or less (Edward Snowden reminded me that's called Dunbar's number) democracy reigned, because everybody just got together and talked it out until they reached a consensus. Then came the city (aka Civilization) where one guy at the top (pretty much always a guy) gave the orders, his enforcers lived well, and everybody else lived as well as they could, given the circumstances. Equality gave way to Patriarchy, and women produced soldiers as fast as they could be coerced into doing so. Slow-forward (~6000 years) until the beginning of mass literacy, and once again the option to talk it out and reach a consensus began to emerge. Three hundred years into the process we're reevaluating and beginning to eliminate slavery, the suppression of women, and even xenophobia (a favorite of the Patriarchs). The key is bandwidth--how well we're all able to talk it over and reach a consensus.

Given the stark future awaiting us* it's easy to imagine that we'll degenerate into roving bands of hunter/gatherers with amazing backstories, and then to petty fiefdoms run by misogynist assholes (there are still plenty holding themselves in reserve). But maybe...

You might guess where I'm going here. Among Elon's gifts to humanity is universal connectivity, which can enable us to continue searching for consensus together, and to continue to put the Patriarchy behind us. It's certainly far from a sure thing, but I'm hopeful.

I marked your post "Love" because I share your grief, that of losing family members and that of losing bits of a way of life you cherish. I also wish you healing.

*I used to say "the stark future awaiting our children" but things are moving faster than we thought. I believe that's for the best, as it motivates old farts like us to stay engaged.

When we all lived in groups of 150 or less (Edward Snowden reminded me that's called Dunbar's number) democracy reigned, because everybody just got together and talked it out until they reached a consensus. Then came the city (aka Civilization) where one guy at the top (pretty much always a guy) gave the orders, his enforcers lived well, and everybody else lived as well as they could, given the circumstances. Equality gave way to Patriarchy, and women produced soldiers as fast as they could be coerced into doing so. Slow-forward (~6000 years) until the beginning of mass literacy, and once again the option to talk it out and reach a consensus began to emerge. Three hundred years into the process we're reevaluating and beginning to eliminate slavery, the suppression of women, and even xenophobia (a favorite of the Patriarchs). The key is bandwidth--how well we're all able to talk it over and reach a consensus.

Given the stark future awaiting us* it's easy to imagine that we'll degenerate into roving bands of hunter/gatherers with amazing backstories, and then to petty fiefdoms run by misogynist assholes (there are still plenty holding themselves in reserve). But maybe...

You might guess where I'm going here. Among Elon's gifts to humanity is universal connectivity, which can enable us to continue searching for consensus together, and to continue to put the Patriarchy behind us. It's certainly far from a sure thing, but I'm hopeful.

I marked your post "Love" because I share your grief, that of losing family members and that of losing bits of a way of life you cherish. I also wish you healing.

*I used to say "the stark future awaiting our children" but things are moving faster than we thought. I believe that's for the best, as it motivates old farts like us to stay engaged.

Thanks for your information, thoughts and the life-preserver:)

Having lived the life of a defender; I owe Mother Earth everything and yet at times I feel I have failed her miserably. Mark me Grateful for what I have and know.

I think I have found that leadership from the back of the pack works best or silent leader. I see you as a silent leader ~ thanks. Please do not get me wrong. When you speak, everyone listens ~ again thanks.

Reactions: Off Shore