Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate control algorithm V7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something that seems to be missing in the dozens of autopilot threads that are metastasizing all over the forum is feedback on the climate control system updates.

Like others, I had been disappointed in the the HVAC compared to other (older, cheaper) cars I'd owned. I generally resorted to lowering the temp setting to about 64 or just manually adjusting fan speed which is tedious.

With 7.0, it's now become pretty much "set and forget." I just leave the thermostat where I want it and it works.

This is progress ;)

Admittedly, weather has been milder than the middle of summer, but I'm very pleased

The HVAC works fine for me, but this morning, while sitting in the car while in Park, I noticed a sound (slight vibration) every 10 seconds (and it would last for a few seconds) -- as if a pump or fan was starting then stopping. This sound and vibration would stop if I turned off the HVAC. I sit in carpool every weekday morning, and I never had this sound prior to V7.0. I have a June, 2014 build S85.

Anyone else experience this?

The HVAC works fine for me, but this morning, while sitting in the car while in Park, I noticed a sound (slight vibration) every 10 seconds (and it would last for a few seconds) -- as if a pump or fan was starting then stopping. This sound and vibration would stop if I turned off the HVAC. I sit in carpool every weekday morning, and I never had this sound prior to V7.0. I have a June, 2014 build S85.

It's the A/C compressor. When it is running full tilt you can feel the vibration on most Tesla's. Both of mine have done it. Sounds like they are cycling it more often rather than leaving it on for long periods.

It's the A/C compressor. When it is running full tilt you can feel the vibration on most Tesla's. Both of mine have done it. Sounds like they are cycling it more often rather than leaving it on for long periods.

More generically, it is the heat pump (works both directions). It is cold enough now in my Canadian garage that I was hearing it while the car was warming itself as I was reading the release notes (on our Signature non-AP car). I DID notice that the cycling frequency is now higher than it used to be prior to v7.0.

Like others, I had been disappointed in the the HVAC compared to other (older, cheaper) cars I'd owned. I generally resorted to lowering the temp setting to about 64 or just manually adjusting fan speed which is tedious.

With 7.0, it's now become pretty much "set and forget." I just leave the thermostat where I want it and it works.

I agree, in the short time with the car, HVAC seems improved. It will be interesting to see what other weather conditions reveal. Also, I wonder if this 'more effective' HVAC has a positive/negative impact on range?

My local service center installed an acoustic noise dampening device for the HVAC. Might be worth giving them a call.

That was in the tesla release notes that were posted somewhere here... that HUGE HVAC improvements at no additional energy cost...

Yes, I recall (now) that such was said... still, wonder how accurate the statement is (wouldn't be the first time something said != reality in Tesla land). Not that I am complaining (or have reason to think it is less efficient)... simply curious and am sure someone out there shortly will post some findings on the matter!

My local service center installed an acoustic noise dampening device for the HVAC. Might be worth giving them a call.
Do you have any more info on this? Did the device have a name?

Don't know if I need it yet, but I'm definitely noticing the increased AC on/off cycling. Maybe they are trying to run it only at optimum speed? All that cycling seems like it would be inefficient and hard on the system.

Maybe I just need to get used to it, but I felt I had to set the temperature quite high to avoid being cold. This morning it was 68 outside and the temp set to 71 and I had to raise it to 74. I agree that the new system is cooler, but I'm not sure yet whether it's better.

I did get an almost record low wh/mile on my commute today, so I'm happy with that.

I agree with the OP. In a 350 mile trip Friday (going through temp ranges from 40s to 70s), I noticed huge improvement in my S85D's Climate Control. In the past, I would have to tweak the temp settings through a trip. This time, it was "set and forget". Thank you Tesla!

Agree with the OP. I had been frustrated that some days the heater seemed right out of my 65 VW Beetle. Now it starts up much better although I needed to set it to a higher temp than I am used to.

I did notice while sitting in a ferry line that there was some thumping up front that I had not heard before. Not sure if that is heat pump.

Reactions: markn455
Odd, it's quite chilly in the N.E. today and I had to set the car to 83 to make it even close to comfortable. When I dropped it to 81 after reaching desired temp, it was blowing COLD air through the upper vends. I'd say with mine, the 7.0 Update has not had a positive effect. The car is new for the season, my 60 was incredible, but maybe the P85 isn't as effective in the cooling dept.?