Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate control AUTO setting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if there is something I am missing with the HVAC controls on the auto setting. I think all my cars for the last 10+ years have had auto climate and I've pretty much universally just left it all on auto and adjusted temps.

Climate control in the M3 seems to have a mind of its own, e.g. set to 20/21c and the air being directed to face and windscreen vents when its 9c outside. Generally, the directing of the airflow doesn't follow any of the common logic you would expect. I would expect feet and windscreen vents sure but I don't really want hot air blown in my face on a cold day.

Also, the fan speed is 4 or 5 most of the time certainly never drops below 3 ever.

Is it just accepted that the system is quirky or am I missing something?

One other thing, it would be nice to keep the on auto and turn off the A/C.

Use manual. I find an indicated 18C* A/C and fan 1 or 2 depending on humidity works well for us - feet, face, screen as preferred. A/C doesn't appear to be too much of a range killer, unlike the heater which is.

* I don't actually think our temp is accurate. If it was, SWMBO would not be happy.

Last edited:
Use manual. I find an indicated 18C* A/C and fan 1 or 2 depending on humidity works well for us - feet, face, screen as preferred. A/C doesn't appear to be too much of a range killer, unlike the heater which is.

* I don't actually think our temp is accurate. If it was, SWMBO would not be happy.

Sure, understand I can manually adjust the settings, I'd prefer not to to be honest. However, I think if I read between the lines you are confirming my suspicions.

I don't think auto adds anything that manual doesn't - other than auto is less efficient than manual for same level of comfort. My experience of the settings that I gave are far better for efficiency than leaving it on auto, even with feet, face, screen and rear all on. I think it is down to fan speed and it occasionally bringing in cold air that subsequently needs to be heated - probably the cold waft you are experiencing. Auto is pretty poor imho and we can do better even just setting and forgetting.

Also to add to having air blown in face, unfortunately screen vents alone can do this sometimes, irrespective of face vent settings.

Personally, I would like to have voice triggered user presets available, if it worked.