Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate-control bug in V9?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If one has AC on and then wants to turn it off and control temps merely with ventilation, it's easy to do -- just tap on the "AC" button and, if necessary, turn off "recirculate" the same way.
The trouble in Version 9 is that when you do that, the fan is now running at whatever speed it was running while in full automatic, and it no longer varies automatically — i.e., the fan speed is no longer controlled by the set temperature. If you do not want the HVAC in full automatic -- if you want to increase range by turning off the AC compressor -- you have no choice but to control the fan manually. In prior software versions, the fan speed had its own "auto" button, and it sped up or slowed down automatically with AC off as it continued to try to get the interior temp as close to the set temp as possible. In fact all cars with automatic climate control have worked like this for a long time.
This seems like a huge step back, like about 30 years.
But, in spite of playing with this adjustment for 10 minutes, I may be missing something here. Please point it out if you see it.

Auto fan speed without ac does not makes sense as the fan will not lower cabin temperature without the ac compressor running.
Of course it will. If the car has been parked in the sun and has an interior temperature of 100° while the air temp is 72°, then ventilation of the cabin with 72° air clearly will lower cabin temp.
Also, if what you say were true, would all cars with automatic climate control (other than Teslas with Version 9 software) have the feature?

I am not sure if the heat is on or off at times. I think it supposed to only be on if the "auto" button is pushed. But it seems to me like some heat still comes out of the vents when the auto button is off. The A/C button is either on or off. Why not have something like that for the heat which uses a LOT more electricity?

I am not sure if the heat is on or off at times. I think it supposed to only be on if the "auto" button is pushed. But it seems to me like some heat still comes out of the vents when the auto button is off. The A/C button is either on or off. Why not have something like that for the heat which uses a LOT more electricity?
Why not, indeed! While I have long wanted a dedicated "heater off" button, others in this forum have pointed out that if you set the temp to Low (LO?) that turns the heater off. I tried it and, sure enough, it works — the heater really is off! While that might seem to be a nuisance to use, I have my right scroll wheel set to temperature, so it is very easy to implement and pushing the scroll wheel button turns climate control off or on, which is my main use of the setting.

Why not, indeed! While I have long wanted a dedicated "heater off" button, others in this forum have pointed out that if you set the temp to Low (LO?) that turns the heater off. I tried it and, sure enough, it works — the heater really is off! While that might seem to be a nuisance to use, I have my right scroll wheel set to temperature, so it is very easy to implement and pushing the scroll wheel button turns climate control off or on, which is my main use of the setting.

Thanks for the tip with just cranking down the temp. I'm getting ready for a 10 hour road trip and will need to be energy efficient between a few of the supercharger stops.