Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Control Enigma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many M3 owners have high praise for the climate control system. “Set it and forget it” simplicity. Always seems to know the right settings.

Except in M3. I set it —always to center vents and auto fan—and it forgets my settings. It defaults to the bottom vents on auto when I restart. I have to hit three buttons to reset: to turn on center vents, to turn off bottom vents, and to turn auto back on after it turns off with the vent selection. Then a fourth button to hide the panel. And yes, my profile is saved when these climate settings are effective.

Why won’t the new love of my life just keep my last climate settings when I restart? Is it just my M3? Is it by design that the lower vents are the start default setting for everyone? Can it be changed? It just doesnt work for South Florida. What’s your experience out there, fellow M3 owners?

Update: brought my car to the SC this morning. I showed the tech a print out of the posts here and suggested that the sensor be checked in the windshield housing. He pulled the cover. No apparent loose wires. But he also unplugged the sensor and plugged it back in. Floor vent problem solved. Climate control now keeps its old state and does not default to max floor vent volume at restart.

Two interesting takeaways. First, the tech initially believed this to be firmware related. But I had updated to V9 and behavior was exactly the same after update. And I had your posts. Second, had I not printed these posts and brought them with me, he would not have thought to pull the cam cover or reseat the sensor connection. Thank you, knowledgeable Tesla owners!

Someone else may find it useful to know that unplugging the THS and reseating the connection is worth a try to fix this AC issue even if wiring looks fine. Took ten minutes to do it and test it, of which five were spent waiting for the car to sleep before starting up again. Working perfectly since then.

If any problem should recur, Tesla invited me to call the SC and ask them to order a new sensor unit.

Excellent service experience (my first) aided by some online homework.