Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've had our MY for just over 2 months and have gone on several road trips already. Love the vehicle, but haven't been able to figure out the climate control.

It seems like the rear passenger was rarely comfortable, often super cold. Many times, the vents were not blowing air, regardless if the rear fans are selected on or off.

The typical settings is the driver (me) had the temperature of around 22C and the passenger set to 19.5C, because they prefer it cooler. The rear passenger seems to freeze with this setting, and so was I.

We tried removing the split settings and keeping it at 21C without the split and the rear passenger still was very cold and no air blew in the back and we were comfortable in the front.

I endlessly played around with Auto and manual settings and the fan seemed to erratically blow in the back and front and offered various experiences that seem to not follow logic, nor temperature settings.

Am I missing something? My previous vehicles really did multiple zone climate control so well (Mercedes, Ford, Cadillac), I've literally never really had to think about it in the last 20+years of vehicle ownership. I tell you my engineering mind is totally stumped.

I was going to get a SC appointment, (I thought it is silly to ask how Climate control works LOL) so I thought I'd check if anyone had suggestions.

Thx :)

21C should be a comfortable temperature setting under most fall weather conditions.

Precondition before starting out for ~10 minutes, preferably while plugged in. Have the seat heaters set to Auto (this setting is only available for the front seats.)

The Tesla Model Y will normally only turn on the rear heating vents if the vehicle detects that there is a rear seat passenger. (Ask Tesla Service to check the rear seat passenger sensor while checking the Climate Control (CC) system.)

What does the outside air temperature (OAT) sensor show? If wrong or if it is giving erratic readings the wire harness may have been damaged by rodents. (The OAT sensor is located inside the front passenger side wheel well and the wire harness has been known to be damaged by gnawing rodents.) This scenario can cause the CC system to perform inconsistently.

Set the CC system to Auto. If you need to you can manually set the fan speed (normally 4 or 5 is a good setting.) In colder weather set Recirculate Cabin Air to be On as the CC system will not have to work as hard to maintain the cabin temperature. (In the CC Auto setting the windows should not normally fog up when recirculate cabin air is active unless you have brought a load of snow and slush into the vehicle on your boots.)

Sometimes the CC system will lose track of the desired temperature and the passenger cabin starts to become cold. One quick fix, to kick the CC in the butt, is to use the voice command "I'm Cold"; the CC system will increase the cabin temperature by 3 degrees.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Bikeman
I tried a few more things and when on manual mode, any fan setting under 6 blows well in the front, but the rear barely has flow.
If I raise it to 9-10, the rear is getting a slow flow and I am basically blowdrying my hair in the front - LOL

It's possible it doesn't recognize my daughter in the back seat, but the seatbelt light comes on, so I'm not certain the sensor is the issue.

The outdoor temp seems accurate. No erratic behavior.

We have another roadtrip in about a month, and it will definitely be colder out, so would prefer if it's comfortable for the passengers.

I might just book something with service if I can't figure it out.

Reactions: sfRonH
I find the climate control quite annoying. I can be hot when first entering the car that has been in the sun, but to get some cool air in my face I have to either turn the Auto temp to about 65 º F (chilly), or what I've found works better, is to just increase the fan setting to about 6. That turns off Auto. It is very hard to win. OK, I get that human temperature perception can be all over the map, and that's why I resent having to touch so many on-screen buttons, when manual buttons and levers worked much more easily in prior cars.

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
I'm having issues with mine as well. I got to the gym at about 545am and it's been chilly. I preheat the cabin to 78 and, before getting the notification that the interior is up to temp, I get in and it immediately shuts off, you can hear it. And it's NOT 78 in there. I turned it to hi and it did nothing. If I take if off auto and turn the fan on, it just blows cold. I've had climate control in many vehicles, this is the only one that sometimes leaves me hot/cold.

Reactions: sfRonH