Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Readings - Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my long range tesla 3 now for a year. recently i am noticing on the app that on climate it shows the temp as quite high and it moves up as the afternoon wears on
yesterday i got the cabin overheat protection warning that it had kicked in.I did a couple of things, opened vents for 10 minutes/blasted aircon through
the cabin temp dropped to around 15c but 10 minutes later it was back to the mid 30s.
when i went and got in the car no way was it 35 degrees inside. is this a fault ? something to worry about ?
its doing the same today despite the forecast showing that outside its 12 degrees and sunny.

I’ve noticed more Cabin Overheat Protection notifications in the last 2-3 months. I’m in south Florida so that isn’t unexpected, but the fact that I wasn’t seeing them before is odd. We’ve had the car (a 3) for over 3 years.
Well i have just gone on the app tapped on the on button slid the temp around and then turned off the app again all within 30 seconds
i have then visibly seen the interior drop from 34c to 20c within a minute. then it starts to climb back. its very weird and like i say if you get in the car there's no way its at the temp the app is showing.... you would fry. def a fault on the app for me

Upvote 0
You get the Cabin Overheat Protection notification when COP is enabled and the interior temp exceeds the threshold temp (105F I believe).

I’m not doing anything with the app to adjust the temp after I get a COP notification. When I return to the car, it never seems close to 105 degrees, so it could be a fault with the interior temp sensor. I was also seeing issues where the AC wouldn’t turn on enough to cool the car, but that seems to have resolved itself.

Upvote 0
You get the Cabin Overheat Protection notification when COP is enabled and the interior temp exceeds the threshold temp (105F I believe).

I’m not doing anything with the app to adjust the temp after I get a COP notification. When I return to the car, it never seems close to 105 degrees, so it could be a fault with the interior temp sensor. I was also seeing issues where the AC wouldn’t turn on enough to cool the car, but that seems to have resolved itself.
Under what conditions would you get a cabin overheat protection warning? Is it when COP is activated... or when COP can't keep up with the heat? I've had it on for a year and have never seen a warning. And I'm in FL.

Mike

Upvote 0
see attached these are my settings. have never changed other than the temp if i want to blast the car with either cool or hot air
you can see interior 34c and trust me its a typical manchester uk breezy afternoon outside. around 17c this has only started happening past few days

Attachments

• tesla3.png
    tesla3.png
    195.2 KB · Views: 133
Upvote 0
Same here. I've concluded the car is very sensitive to any solar radiation. When I get back from surfing, the car thinks it is 80-plus degrees inside although it's probably 70 (air outside may be 50 degrees). I always have to set the temp to HI.

It would improve things if the car displayed the inside temp (as the app does).

Upvote 0
Once the car heats up, the various surfaces in the car will get hot as well. It's particularly true for black interiors where the sun hits on them. Once cabin overheat runs, or you start the AC manually, the air inside the car will quickly go down but the surfaces will take a while to cool. Since the cabin temp sensor reads air temp, it will stop quickly but you need to let it run a few minutes for surfaces to have time to adjust. Seems normal to me.
It's the same in winter, when I start heating before getting in the car it only takes a couple minutes to reach the set temp. If I get in the car immediately, the seat, steering and all surfaces are still cold as hell. Physics, as they say.

Reactions: Shelburne
Upvote 0
Same here. I've concluded the car is very sensitive to any solar radiation. When I get back from surfing, the car thinks it is 80-plus degrees inside although it's probably 70 (air outside may be 50 degrees). I always have to set the temp to HI.

It would improve things if the car displayed the inside temp (as the app does).
YOU MEAN YOU LEAVE TEMP HI ON THE APP BUT OFF YES ? thanks

Upvote 0
YOU MEAN YOU LEAVE TEMP HI ON THE APP BUT OFF YES ? thanks
Not sure what you are asking. I mean that as I'm shivering with a wool hat on, I increase the temp on the car's screen until it reads HI. Otherwise it puts the AC on because it thinks the interior temp is over 80 degrees.

It would be useful to be able to see what the car thinks the interior temp is without consulting the app.

Upvote 0
OP is on to something. In the last few weeks, my app has started telling me my interior temperature is quite hot every time I wake the car from sleeping for several hours. I KNOW the interior is nowhere near this hot since the car is parked in a cool garage, and I get in and check it myself. Then, over the course of minutes, the app shows the temperature “dropping” down to reasonable level. See screenshots.

Attachments

• 4808FAFB-BC1F-4671-A4EE-B67C523F2B5B.png
    4808FAFB-BC1F-4671-A4EE-B67C523F2B5B.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
  • 28EF609A-194D-47C7-89BB-DB319E08EFD6.png
    28EF609A-194D-47C7-89BB-DB319E08EFD6.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
Upvote 0