Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate running while parked? (In a garage)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fairly new to the MY. Car was parked in a parking garage today for about 14 hours and it used roughly 3kwh of power. Not a big deal as I understand that Sentry mode requires the car stay away and consuming power (I've read 1 mile of range per hour of sentry). So the 12 mile drain just about matches up with that. However Tessie records some interesting internal temperature spikes and 8 minutes of climate running. I'm just curious if these numbers make sense and if anyone knows the "why"? It's not cabin overhead protection, it was only about 80F today and the car was parked in a covered garage. Also normally the climate in the car is set to about 68, so a jump like this isn't one of our normal set points.

1665292995096.png

Attachments

• 1665292846866.png
    1665292846866.png
    111.4 KB · Views: 135
Interesting problem. It is really odd that as soon as you exit the car it immediately increases the internal temperature to 75! I suggest you try to isolate the problem by doing all of the following:

1. Make sure overheat protection is indeed off
  2. When you park the car turn off the HVAC
  3. Ensure you are not parked in the sun or near an exhaust vent
  4. Turn off all 3rd party apps, other than Tessie
  5. I am not family with Tessie, but also ensure there are no HVAC settings in the app

If the problem goes away you can then add things back, one at a time.

Good luck!

For where the data is from - Tessie: Awesome software for your Tesla - It's fairly slick for data collection, I'm a big fan of it so far. No other 3rd party apps.

Scheduled Departure - Not turned on. We haven't used that feature as we don't have a regular schedule these days, but I double checked - still off.

Cabin Protection - Yes, that is turned on, but Tessie indicates when that is active. It also doesn't kick in until the cabin is over 100F. So this isn't related to that. The darker blue is when Tessie doesn't have up-to-date data due the vehicle being asleep. Example screenshot from a few days ago:

1665419170389.png

I had the car plugged in overnight charging, and noticed a similar trend.

1665419314095.png

Again, this was overnight, in a garage. The internal temperature "jumps" every 2 hours. Now it's also clear the "outside" (garage) jumps every 1 to 2 hours as well. At the exact same times. Now, as someone all about data, I also happen to have a temp sensor in the garage near the Tesla.

1665419931598.png

So the Tesla "outside" temp increasing overnight doesn't match up with reality (though it is within about 5F or so). I think the Tesla's sensor is probably affected by the fact that it was charging.

Overall, My theory is that the temperature "jumps" is due to idle sensors. When the car isn't driving I think even though the car is "awake" for either charging or sentry mode, not all of the sensors are. So the temp is either only polled every hour, or the data is only sent back to the mothership every hour. Which would make sense from a "reducing useless data" perspective. If the car isn't in motion and something like overheat protection isn't active, why bother updating the data frequently? It's a car, not a weather station.

For where the data is from - Tessie: Awesome software for your Tesla - It's fairly slick for data collection, I'm a big fan of it so far. No other 3rd party apps.
I'm in love with it already, and I started using it last night. I noticed (not related to what you are mentioning) that I get alerted to the cabin being at the requested temperature about 3 degrees before it reaches the desired temperature. It is usually off by 3 degrees. This is in the Tesla app.

Reactions: ShakataGaNai
I had a similar drain before 2022.36.2 was pushed, then it stopped.
Interesting. I'll have to compare once I get updated. Right now I'm still in the post-delivery 30 day firmware hold. So at 2022.28.100

I'm pretty sure that one of the things that the heat pump equipped cars will do is run the HVAC to take the heat out of the cabin and store it in the battery while it is parked.
Huh. Well in this case the temp is going up, so heat is coming from elsewhere and going into the cabin.

Huh. Well in this case the temp is going up, so heat is coming from elsewhere and going into the cabin.
The temperature sensor in the cabin has a fan on it, and they probably only run that fan occasionally when parked to check the temperature to know when to turn on Overheat Protection. They also turn it on anytime you open the app, so that it can report an accurate temperature.

Your third-party app could be triggering it if it asks for an update. (Vs. just using the streaming API.)

Reactions: ShakataGaNai
I'm also getting this message every morning "Your car cabin in now at the desired temperature". I park in a garage, temps never more than 70-80 degrees at the high end and mid-60's low end, plus I have Overheat Protection turned off. This only started happening a couple of updates back, but is annoying as I get a slight battery drain whereas before there was no drain. At a loss as to what to check.

I'm also getting this message every morning "Your car cabin in now at the desired temperature". I park in a garage, temps never more than 70-80 degrees at the high end and mid-60's low end, plus I have Overheat Protection turned off. This only started happening a couple of updates back, but is annoying as I get a slight battery drain whereas before there was no drain. At a loss as to what to check.
Sounds like you have a departure time set, so it is preconditioning for you.

Reactions: Yelobird
Pretty sure that my phone key is waking my car and running climate when I use a bathroom in my house nearest the garage.

This morning, surface temps in my garage were = to my climate settings, so it was immediately at desired temperature.

phonekeywake.jpg