Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate triggering alarm?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DH96

May 17, 2021
UK
Hi! Everytime when it’s hot outside and I want to turn on the air conditioning from the app to cool the car down, it triggers the sentry alarm! Has anyone else had this issue? 3 times I’ve tried this now, and each time the alarm goes along with the loud music from the car! Thank you!

I turn on climate remotely quite often when Sentry/alarm are on. I have never had this happen. Assumed when you turn on climate it should disable any internal sensors.
You could try a reboot in case its a software glitch. if not then you may need to raise a service request. I would include some examples of the exact times it happened since I would expect them to check the logs from the car and it will save them contacting you to ask for this info.

Reactions: DH96
Hi! Everytime when it’s hot outside and I want to turn on the air conditioning from the app to cool the car down, it triggers the sentry alarm! Has anyone else had this issue? 3 times I’ve tried this now, and each time the alarm goes along with the loud music from the car! Thank you!
It shouldn't happen.. could be there's something in the car that is being blown around? My car alarm got triggered for the first time recently by a fly stuck in the car!

Incidentally, you don't need to turn on climate remotely to cool the car down. Instead you could turn on Cabin Overheat Protection, which will run for 12 hours after the car was last "driven" (opening a door counts, and will reset the timer). Then the car will wake itself up as necessary to cool down whenever the internal temperature goes higher than 40C.

Reactions: cryo and DH96
It shouldn't happen.. could be there's something in the car that is being blown around? My car alarm got triggered for the first time recently by a fly stuck in the car!

Incidentally, you don't need to turn on climate remotely to cool the car down. Instead you could turn on Cabin Overheat Protection, which will run for 12 hours after the car was last "driven" (opening a door counts, and will reset the timer). Then the car will wake itself up as necessary to cool down whenever the internal temperature goes higher than 40C.
Fluffy dice?
I assume he is turning it on prior to driving it rather than just to stop it melting. COP is good but personally I would rather get in a car at 20 degrees than 40 so I am all in on the pre-cooling.

If you turn it on when it's 35-40 deg then it goes like a leaf blower and I can feel the whole dash and steering wheel vibrating.

This thread suggests it could be the compressor vibrating and triggering it.

I wonder if Tesla have increased the sensitivity of the alarm. There are numerious YouTube videos of people rocking the car and it didn't trigger the alarm, so they might be trying to address these concerns. Change one thing, break another.

I use it just to cool down/warm up just before a drive as I feel the 40 degrees is still quite hot when you get in it especially when it’s hot outside too! I Tried it twice again today, and both times the alarm went with the loud music inside😅 I made sure that there was nothing inside to be blown around too! After watching the front camera in the car, it really shakes a lot when the climate is turned on, so I’d say that this is what’s causing it! Do I need to book a service appointment in the app to sort it or is there anywhere else I can report it?

I use it just to cool down/warm up just before a drive as I feel the 40 degrees is still quite hot when you get in it especially when it’s hot outside too! I Tried it twice again today, and both times the alarm went with the loud music inside😅 I made sure that there was nothing inside to be blown around too! After watching the front camera in the car, it really shakes a lot when the climate is turned on, so I’d say that this is what’s causing it! Do I need to book a service appointment in the app to sort it or is there anywhere else I can report it?
Yes report via the app.

I wonder if Tesla have increased the sensitivity of the alarm. There are numerious YouTube videos of people rocking the car and it didn't trigger the alarm, so they might be trying to address these concerns. Change one thing, break another.
Am starting to get a bit irritated by the Tesla alarm (or, rather, the rock music on top!) so I wonder if there's something to this suggestion. Our M3 seems ridiculously sensitive and we're going to have to start apologising to neighbours (and work colleagues) soon.

I was lying in bed about half an hour ago (c.11pm) when the alarm (and music) went off. (Our bedroom window is the closest to the car.) Terrifyingly loud - if I'd been wearing underpants, I'd have needed to replace them. I remembered something I read on this forum and frantically called up the app and hit a button to tell the car to calm down (sadly, in my panic, I hit the frunk release control, so had to go out and shut the bloody thing). Gave me an opportunity to check the dashcam footage. Nothing. I suspect no more than perhaps a moth trapped in the cabin. Have switched off the sentry mode in an attempt to stop waking the neighbours.

Sadly, that's the fourth embarrassing alarm situation in the four weeks we've had the thing. Once on holiday (alarm and music); once triggered by remotely switching on the climate (just alarm), as per the OP, and once a few days back when the good lady doctor was seeing patients (alarm and music). No apparent reason for any of them.

Now lying in bed, wondering if it's going to happen again. I'm feeling a bit tense and cheesed-off, to be honest with you...!

I have been having similar problem for the last 3 months with my 2017 Model S. I do not have the extra interior motion alarm installed on my car. It started in early May with sentry mode triggering car alarm when supercharging. After that it has happened every time I was plugged into supercharger. It does not happen when charging at L1 or L2 chargers. I made a service appointment two months back and tried to reproduce this at the superchargers at service center but alarm didn't go off in the 5 minutes I waited for. Couple of days later when I went to pick the car up (after some other unrelated work was done), service center had just plugged my car into supercharger few minutes earlier. As I was finishing paper work up, I decided to turn a/c on to cool the car and sentry mode triggered the alarm immediately. Service center said they would look at the logs. They have not gotten back to me.

This was the only time I saw alarm being triggered when I turned on a/c. I mostly do not turn a/c on until I am heading back to the car towards the end of charging session. Looking at it now with this new information from this thread, it maybe that either full blown battery cooling comes on more than 5 minutes after starting supercharging or it takes a few minutes for cabin to get hot enough for cabin overheat protection to kick in. Either could cause vibrations. Start of this issue coincides with start of hot summer season. The first time it happened I was plugged into a supercharger on a sunny hot day. The few L2 charging sessions I tried were on cloudy or cooler days. I will try L2 charging on sunny hot day.

I have another service appointment for this issue later this week. I will see if service gets back to me with anything.

Am starting to get a bit irritated by the Tesla alarm (or, rather, the rock music on top!) so I wonder if there's something to this suggestion. Our M3 seems ridiculously sensitive and we're going to have to start apologising to neighbours (and work colleagues) soon.

I was lying in bed about half an hour ago (c.11pm) when the alarm (and music) went off. (Our bedroom window is the closest to the car.) Terrifyingly loud - if I'd been wearing underpants, I'd have needed to replace them. I remembered something I read on this forum and frantically called up the app and hit a button to tell the car to calm down (sadly, in my panic, I hit the frunk release control, so had to go out and shut the bloody thing). Gave me an opportunity to check the dashcam footage. Nothing. I suspect no more than perhaps a moth trapped in the cabin. Have switched off the sentry mode in an attempt to stop waking the neighbours.

Sadly, that's the fourth embarrassing alarm situation in the four weeks we've had the thing. Once on holiday (alarm and music); once triggered by remotely switching on the climate (just alarm), as per the OP, and once a few days back when the good lady doctor was seeing patients (alarm and music). No apparent reason for any of them.

Now lying in bed, wondering if it's going to happen again. I'm feeling a bit tense and cheesed-off, to be honest with you...!
The post above reminded me that I haven't brought my story with the alarm up-to-date. After the embarrassment of our first non-holiday trip in the M3 (recounted here: How do you switch off the Security Alarm?), the second reboot seems to have done the trick. We've had no problems with the alarm (and the ridiculous music) since. Now that we're home again, the last two nights, I even dared to leave Sentry Mode switched on. This is working as it should (lots of videos of families trundling by when parked in a public car park), but the main alarm hasn't gone off (spuriously) for over a week now.

TBF, the weather has mellowed (no high winds or debris). But some of this - apparent - improvement was before the software update, so it can't be that. Anyway, am currently happy. (Touch wood, as my mother would say. Do the faux wood inserts in the Model 3 count? ;) )

I had the issue of the alarm going off when we had peak heat. Was fine at night but during the day I ended up having to leave the car unlocked to avoid further embarrassment. I tried venting and cabin protection etc but still got triggered.

I raised it in the app, They said it is being caused by a tilt sensor. I was booked in to sort last week but I cancelled as the problem went away (funnily enough, so did the heat). I'm hoping it is a software issue which will be/has been resolved

Reactions: DigbyChicken
I just had this happen to me. I just added my wife's Model Y to my Home Assistant home automation system. I check if the car is at work 20 minutes before she gets off work. If true then it turns on climate control. The last two days exactly twenty minutes prior to her leaving work I get an alert about the car alarm going off. At first, I thought somehow I was telling the API to trigger the car alarm instead of the climate (it can't). Then I remember she just had the compressor worked on. Glad for this thread, I will report it to Tesla.

I just had this happen to me. I just added my wife's Model Y to my Home Assistant home automation system. I check if the car is at work 20 minutes before she gets off work. If true then it turns on climate control. The last two days exactly twenty minutes prior to her leaving work I get an alert about the car alarm going off. At first, I thought somehow I was telling the API to trigger the car alarm instead of the climate (it can't). Then I remember she just had the compressor worked on. Glad for this thread, I will report it to Tesla.

I also read of someone who had the alarm triggered by leaving a plastic drinks bottle in the car that was "popping" as it expanded/contracted ... probably one of the less common causes but worth bearing in mind.

It happened to me twice this summer. 2019 Model 3 locked. Sentry mode Turned on. Turned on climate and vented the car. As soon as I got close to the car alarm went off and was surprised to hear Dracula theme playing (Toccada and Fugue by Bach)

I also read of someone who had the alarm triggered by leaving a plastic drinks bottle in the car that was "popping" as it expanded/contracted ... probably one of the less common causes but worth bearing in mind.
This. I had my alarm go off two days in a row in the evening at the end of a hot day recently. I looked in the car and the only thing unusual was that one of my family had left a large single use plastic water bottle in the passenger side door bin. I removed it and it has not happened since. Not enough data points to be anything like conclusive but could well have been the cause.