TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

climate turning on (I'm not in car) - we did not initiate

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by thisguyfel, Jun 28, 2018.

1. thisguyfel

thisguyfel Member

GREETINGS!
    (first post - I did do a quick scan with search function.)

I am using a beta version of Stats (iOS maadotaa / QuickTesla) and I have the push notifications to alert me if/when the Climate turns on and I'm not in the car. A few times over the past week (I've been beta testing since 6/12) I've received the alert "Climate is on" ... yet me nor my wife did not initiate remotely.

Today, the outside temp according to Stats was 64deg, and the car was attempting to hold interior temp at 70deg which was most likely the temp my wife had the car at on her drive to work today. Which then contributed to a "phantom drain" of ~5 miles and 1% over just a few hours.

Why would the car initiate Climate Control? I wouldn't think the battery management system would be trying to warm the car to warm the batteries. I told the car to turn off Climate via the iOS Tesla app.

The Stats developer assures me that his app would not initiate climate control. any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks in advance with any insight.
    TGF

2. kbecks13

kbecks13 Member

Outside temp != Interior car temp, especially on a sunny day and in lower latitudes.

I've seen my car get over 120F on a 70F day due to sunlight, so perhaps its just the automatic cabin overheat protection.

3. thisguyfel

thisguyfel Member

I've seen interior get up over 120F as well. I can't be "overheat protection" as it's currently only 67F today where my wife is parked. Stats app provides inside and outside temp readings, and it's not sunny or warm here in the Seattle area today. When this happened and I opened the Tesla app, it showed red arrows in the graphic for climate control, indicating it was warming the interior of the car.

4. brobinson

brobinson Member

Do you ever experience odd behaviors on the display while driving? You may be experiencing 'phantom touch' and it's waking up the car.

5. thisguyfel

thisguyfel Member

We have experienced phantom touches a few times but nothing recently in the past few weeks. Odd how it seems to be happening daily.