Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Clinking" exterior sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I've had my Model 3 for about three months now and ever since I've owned it, I've heard an odd "clinking" sound in the following scenario:
  • Windows down (I can't hear it when my windows are up)
  • Going at low speeds
  • Sound is there during flat terrain but sounds louder when on an incline.
I basically started noticing it when I was going into parking garages that were inclined and I needed my window down to get a parking ticket.

The way I'd describe the sound is if there were a couple of chain links in my wheel. As I drive down, it almost sounds like they are dropping down the wheel and hitting each other, creating a "clink" sound.

From what I can tell, this hasn't impacted performance or caused any issues so I haven't felt the need to take it in for servicing. Just trying to figure out if it's normal, if it's easily fixable, or if I should schedule service.

Any advice would be appreciated!

The sound you describe seems similar to whats being discussed in this thread, although you dont mention when it actually makes the sound or is it constantly making the sound? increasing with speed? or just an occasional "click" when accelerating or decelerating ?

Model 3 clicking sound near the rear wheel area

If its the same issue, its an easy fix, if you can jack up your car safely, remove the wheel safely, and have a 32mm socket and an impact wrench or flex handle/breaker bar. Tesla SCs may be aware of the issue, as well as mobile service.

Thanks for the reply!

I ended up calling for service because it did sound like the issue you linked to @tracksyde.

However, service texted me asking me to take the aero wheel hubcaps off and see if the sound went away. I did so (skeptically) and heard something fall out. Turns out, there's a metal ring in the center of the hubcap that had fallen out. The fix was as simple as re-attaching the center ring and putting the hubcap back on.

Posting in case someone else faces a similar issue!

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life