TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Clipper Creek 100 amp and Model S

Discussion in 'North America' started by sp4rk, Nov 18, 2013.

1. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

I should know this ...
    Working with an hotel and they are deciding whether to install a Clipper Creek 100A or an HPWC.
    The former is to be EV PC.
    CS-100 Charging Station with Pedestal
    With this High powered clipper creek, does it work the same way as our HPWC? As in, if you have dual chargers, you get 60 MPH refill?

2. swaltner

swaltner Member

Yes, a Model S with dual chargers would be able to pull 80 amps from the ClipperCreek CS-100 while using the J1772 adapter.

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Yes, it works the same way.

HPWC is cheaper, but you will only attract Teslas.
    CS-100 is more, but you will attract more EV drivers

For a Hotel, speed is not the issue. 40 amps is plenty for overnight charging. The number of charging spaces available is more important.

4. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

I realize speed is a non-issue, but when talking to them, I had in mind 2 or 3 Model S's doing a car trip in a group.
    As such, we'd all arrive at say 5, then take the HPWC in turns.
    And as EV's proliferate, I think high powered is better for same reason, no?

5. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

If it were my hotel, I would put more 30 amp EVSE's and cover more guests that are going to be renting rooms overnight. Whoever plugs in will have a full charge the next morning. If a Tesla plugs into an HPWC and goes to bed, he's done charging quickly and nobody else can use it.

High power is great if you can afford the numbers needed. I advocate them everywhere else except a hotel where you are staying overnight. Most Hotels do not want to be charging locations only. They put in the EVSE's to attract paying clients.

6. Earthdog

Earthdog Member

sp4rk,

Honestly the best solution if I were in your shoes would be a bank of 30amp or 48amp ClipperCreek or Eaton units. You will get more EV's to charge and a larger exposure or EV's. Since you are limited by total AMPS it really makes sense. I suggest you talk with the guys at Electric Vehicle Charging Stations | Atlanta GA Greg would be a great source of information.

7. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

If you're amperage-limited at the breaker box, then given that your guests should be charging overnight, then yes, you can get by with less than 100 amps. The extra cost of higher-amp chargers is insignificant, so you should judge what to get by what your electrical feed can handle -- the extra cost of upgrading that can be quite large.

The thing is, you really do NOT want to go as low as the very common 30 amps, because then some of your guests (the ones with 85kWh Model S) won't be able to get a full charge overnight. Get CS-60s (48 amps) at least.

8. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Someone was advertising a dual-head unit. Supposedly if fed by one circuit it would load balance. That might be the ideal solution for hotel overnight charging from a cost/benefit and customer experience perspective.

9. Earthdog

Earthdog Member

andrewket, the charge share solutions downgrade to 16amp from 30amp with two vehicle's there are new units coming but nothing in the remote to near solution.

sp4k, the other thought here is the average stay at the hotel will be 8-11 hours so at a 25mph charge on a 30amp 200-260 miles gained in a Tesla. So going up to 48amps truly provides no benifit. Just my 2 cents.

10. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Thanks everyone.

Now it's just the execution of the plan. It would be, IMO, wonderful to see ONE (1) hotel in my area put charging in.

11. scott2613

scott2613 Member

I have an HPWC right next to a Clipper Creek CS-100. They both charge at 80A. Although the CS-100 is'nt that much more than Clipper Creeks lower amperage models, the installation cost can be much higher. Running four #2 wires and two #4 ground wires 275 feet at $2.60 and $1.25 per ft. respectively, 3" conduit and a separate 200A sub panel with 100A CB's was a lot more than the cost of the CS-100. Thousands more!