Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clipper creek plus departure charging fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had issues with their clipper creek and scheduled departure? The car and charger get into a loop flipping the charger on and off repeatedly until it errors out. Only happens with scheduled departure on. Tesla says it’s their problem and they say Tesla changed something in their software. I basically have a $1400 paper weight charger now, since I can’t depend on it to work and charge my car. Works fine on Chevy bolt and Prius prime with schedule departure.

It’s the “HCS-D40 Dual Charging Station”
What happens if only the Tesla Model Y is plugged in when you use Scheduled Departure Charging? What happens if you swap charging cords between the Tesla and the other vehicle when using Scheduled Departure Charging?

What time have you set as the end of the off-peak rate period? The end of the off-peak utility rate window is what controls Scheduled Departure charging. Scheduled Departure by itself just schedules preconditioning.

I’ve never had both plugged in at the same time 😂. Using the second garage space for Storage lol. Depart and finish charging was set to 9:45am. I only use departure and the off peak setting. Using the other cord causes the same issue.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
I have a much older HCS-40P, and I haven't seen any problem with regular charging, scheduled charging, rate is flat here, and I don't use off-peak. I assumed regular charging works fine on yours right? What happened if you disable the off-peak or adjust them to see if it makes any difference?

I’m having the same problem with a 2020 Model X and a Clipper Creek HCS-40P. I have the car set to use scheduled departure, and if it’s not actually time to start charging (or maybe when it knows it shouldn’t charge due to peak utility rates) and I plug it in, then the charger flips on and off every few seconds. If it’s late enough in the evening, so that it’s ready to start charging, then it works properly. It also works fine when not using scheduled departure, but I want to use that feature as part of my electric utility’s time of use program.

Another data point is that our previous car (a 2018 Model 3) works just fine with scheduled departure and the same Clipper Creek. Our Chevy Bolt also works fine with its equivalent of scheduled charging.

As I’m writing this, I also just tried switching to Scheduled Charge Start (instead of Scheduled Departure). That is working properly, though I would prefer to use Schedule Departure as it is smart enough to start charging right away during off peak utility rates on the weekend.

In order for scheduled departure to work, the car has to turn on the EVSE to check the voltage and the amperage to figure out when it needs to start to hit the target time. Since this is a dual EVSE, I wonder if it's changing the advertised amperage while it's being turned on, causing the looping behavior. For example, lets say it starts out advertising a minimal amperage like 8a, the car turns it on to check the voltage, then the EVSE notes that the other plug is dormant and ups the amperage to it's max. The car now thinks it DOESN'T need to start now and shuts down the charge. The EVSE goes back to it's minimal amperage, which the car notes, and the cycle repeats.

SInce you're not using the dual nature of the EVSE, can you disable the sharing and configure it as a single? Even just for a test?

Last edited:
I’m having the same problem with a 2020 Model X and a Clipper Creek HCS-40P. I have the car set to use scheduled departure, and if it’s not actually time to start charging (or maybe when it knows it shouldn’t charge due to peak utility rates) and I plug it in, then the charger flips on and off every few seconds. If it’s late enough in the evening, so that it’s ready to start charging, then it works properly. It also works fine when not using scheduled departure, but I want to use that feature as part of my electric utility’s time of use program.

Another data point is that our previous car (a 2018 Model 3) works just fine with scheduled departure and the same Clipper Creek. Our Chevy Bolt also works fine with its equivalent of scheduled charging.

As I’m writing this, I also just tried switching to Scheduled Charge Start (instead of Scheduled Departure). That is working properly, though I would prefer to use Schedule Departure as it is smart enough to start charging right away during off peak utility rates on the weekend.
What's the off-peak end time relative to your scheduled departure time, and how long will it take to reach the target percentage? I have HCS-40P and it is working fine for me. No matter which schedule I use, most of the time it will flip on and once it figures out it doesn't need to charge then turns itself off. I have only seen it a couple of times in 6 years that acted similar to what you described but I think it was due to some irregular voltage or the plug was not seated properly, mine is a 2017 S, not sure if there is any difference in the Telsa firmware.

I have the same issue with my Model Y and the ClipperCreek HCS-40 when using scheduled departure time. (Actually, it's also happened once or twice even when scheduled departure time is not on). One of the ClipperCreek customer support supervisors wrote to me: "We first saw this issue (where a Tesla would turn the charging station on and off repeatedly) when Tesla first rolled out their Departure Time Charging settings back in late 2019. We worked very closely with a team of Tesla engineers to understand and correct the problem. By 2021, their latest software and firmware had the fix implemented and this problem was resolved."

He also went on to say "we are in the process of updating our firmware to make various improvements. One of those updates, which was designed for a completely different purpose, should remove this issue completely as well. That version of firmware is in the final stages of UL approval and should be available on our new products in the coming months. If Tesla has not rolled out an over-the-air (OTA) fix for this issue before then, we can manually update your older HCS to the new firmware."

My HCS-40 is an older one that doesn't support over-the-air firmware updates, though, so I'm out of luck on that front. (It'd be far too much hassle/expense to disconnect the EVSE, ship it to California, get it back, and then reconnect it).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I live in an apartment complex where they just installed the clipper creek chargers. I was assigned a space just for me, but the car isn’t charging. I tried other chargers, but no dice. My car charges everywhere else without a problem, do I need some type of authorization to charge? The complex is saying that the power is “on” and the car should be charging.

I live in an apartment complex where they just installed the clipper creek chargers. I was assigned a space just for me, but the car isn’t charging. I tried other chargers, but no dice. My car charges everywhere else without a problem, do I need some type of authorization to charge? The complex is saying that the power is “on” and the car should be charging.
I've never seen a problem with Clipper Creek EVSEs. Has anyone else been able to use them? What exactly do you see, on the LEDS on the EVSE, the LED at the charging port on the car, and on the screen in your car when you plug in?

You may want to post pics of the EVSE and the screen in the car.