Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Close call - ABS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I had a "close call" when driving my roadster.
It was on a wet road, I was driving around 80 Km/h in a light curve to the left. I saw a moped ( little motorcycle ) coming on a little street from the right. It is a strange intersection with a little wall between the roads. I saw the motorcycle not slowing down and I pushed the horn. At that moment the driver of the motorcycle turned his head and started breaking. But his motorcycle stopped in the middle of my lane! I did push the brakes hard, but there was no way I could stop, so I also turned the wheel. But with the famous understeer it seemed that the car would not turn, I think I softened the brakes and there the car turned and I missed the motorcycle by some centimeters. The car was then easily balanced, and I was happy to continue.

I wonder where was the ABS? I did not feel any ABS "pumping" on the brakes. Does the ABS feel differently on the Tesla? Has anybody any experience with it?

That is why I'm going on the track in march. It is a fast and capable car, but I still do not know its limits and I'm going to exercise!

Why did this happen? I think that we have to keep in our mind when driving our cars, that the car is silent, the car sits low ( here the wall might have hidden the car from the view ), and the car can accelerate faster then the others anticipate! So be careful!

The ABS in the roadster feels and sounds like ABS in any other car I've experienced it in. It does take a significant amount of pedal force (even on wet roads) to cause enough braking force that the wheels would otherwise lock up without ABS.

I am sure if you have a near miss you press the brake as hard as it goes with out panicking. so I suspect the pressure was probably there. good query though. see if some one can find the logg. maybe ask they guys whom are doing the graphic parser....

felix b.

The Roadster has a really small vacuum assist pump. It takes a lot more pedal pressure than you think to really dig into the friction brakes. Take the car to a parking lot, best on a wet day, and try it. It's kind of surprising, but OK once you know.

I haven't gotten mine yet! just hyposezising based on other sports cars performance when it comes to brakes, even ceramic brakes which are notoriously hard to press before anything happens, different dynamics I know but still.

but I will follow your suggestion once I have mine but probably on a track.........

felix b.

Of course it is difficult to say what you really have done, because everything happens too fast to think. I certainly intended to press as hard as I can, and as I'm an "oldtimer-guy" I'm used to press the brake pedal very hard....Anyway I did not notice any ABS effect, but again may be I was just too focused on missing this motorcycle, so I did not notice.
That's why I'm going to the track to test...

How long is the log? I mean how far back does it stay saved?

Good idea to hit the track. Anti-roll bars and suspension are meant to be adjusted to balance understeer/oversteer and it works exceptionally well on the Tesla. My guess is that the front tires just slid sideways (did not lock) because of the wet road. Since you were hard on the brakes, you had the front tires loaded, so I doubt you would understeer that much if the road were not slick. I find that fresh snow or rain on large, empty parking lots to be the best practice venues for handling.

I think you are correct n8te (?) Yes, I think that is what happened!
I did press the brakes, but the wheels did not lock ( yet ) and the car began to slide and when I saw that I will not make it like that, I released the brakes a little bit - that is why ABS did not interfere - and that is when the car reduced the sliding and got around the motorcycle.
I'll have the Tesla Technician look at the anti-roll bars and the suspension this week ( new firmware, too ), and then I will see how it reacts on the track. It will not be a race on the track, it will be just a training.

Good idea to hit the track. Anti-roll bars and suspension are meant to be adjusted to balance understeer/oversteer and it works exceptionally well on the Tesla. My guess is that the front tires just slid sideways (did not lock) because of the wet road. Since you were hard on the brakes, you had the front tires loaded, so I doubt you would understeer that much if the road were not slick. I find that fresh snow or rain on large, empty parking lots to be the best practice venues for handling.