Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Close call not using Autopilot. Autopilot question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If there is a box in the road, it's very likely autopilot won't see it and will just plow right into it.
Even a really big box? I estimate this one was 3-3.5 ft long, 18-24” high and probably 12-18” wide. A big rubbermaid storage container. And it was in the middle of the lane, with the length going cross-wise across the lane. That would surprise me.

Even a really big box? I estimate this one was 3-3.5 ft long, 18-24” high and probably 12-18” wide. A big rubbermaid storage container. And it was in the middle of the lane, with the length going cross-wise across the lane. That would surprise me.

The older cars have radar (whereas newer M3/MY rely only on vision), but even radar apparently isn't good at seeing stationary objects. And even though it's a big Rubbermaid bin, it's still not even along the scale of a car. So I would say 90% it would hit the box. That's why it's imperative to be paying full attention at all times when using AP, due to atypical situations like the one you mentioned.

Reactions: Greenms60