Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Close call...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...stop like this automatically?...

My analysis of the video hints that it is a manual brake by the driver and not any automation system.

The driver applied brakes very early before the speeding car appears into the video frame and before it shows up in front of the Model 3.

You could see crashing debris flying way before the speeding car hitting the white van on the right.

That probably meant that it collided some other cars before appearing in the video frame and that debris fell out after the car got into the frame.

That also meant that there would be very loud crashing noises and tire noises on the road that made the Model 3 driver applied the brakes well in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
...suggest these cars are superior to others...

I think Waymo can automatically stop/slow itself if detects the likelihood of a collision with a speeding car from the left or right of an intersection even before Waymo driver can detect it. It uses LIDAR on its top roof and it can see further in all directions.

Hopefully, Tesla will be able to do that in the future but not now.

I think Waymo can automatically stop/slow itself if detects the likelihood of a collision with a speeding car from the left or right of an intersection even before Waymo driver can detect it. It uses LIDAR on its top roof and it can see further in all directions.

Hopefully, Tesla will be able to do that in the future but not now.

It's also be more helpful if cars could communicate with each other. That car (Chevy Malibu?) would be screaming to other cars that it was out of control and coming in hot. As for the collision, it really makes you wonder what the driver was thinking because the light had turned red for nearly 3 full seconds.

My analysis of the video hints that it is a manual brake by the driver and not any automation system.
The driver applied brakes very early
How do you determine that it was the driver not the car systems who applied the brakes? Doesnt brake lights turn on when applied by the car the same as the driver?

Daniel Hernandez on Twitter

are all teslas supposed to stop like this automatically? I don’t think mine does that. in fact i got into a similar accident last year where the car didnt stop at all. Want to make sure im not missing a setting that needs to be adjusted.

i own an autopilot 1, 2015 Model S, 70D.

thanks in advance
If you've had a Tesla for a couple of years, then you should know that whatever the car did last year isn't what it is going to do this year.

• Funny
Reactions: coinneach
Does make one wonder if the autonomous cars need microphones.

In this case I agree that the driver likely heard the crash, tires squealing, etc before the car ever came into view.

This is one of the reasons why I hardly ever listen to loud music in my car.

How do you determine that it was the driver not the car systems who applied the brakes? Doesnt brake lights turn on when applied by the car the same as the driver?

Because Tesla is NOT Waymo. With LIDAR on top, Waymo can detect 360 all around over 2 football fields away.

Current Tesla can only detect adjacent lanes and front and back.

The speeding car was not in an adjacent lane, so it cannot be Tesla automatic system that did the braking prior to the arrival to an adjacent lane.

The speeding car was not in front nor back, so it cannot be Tesla automatic system that did the braking to the prior to the arrival to the front.

After the braking, then the speeding car came into view to the front of the Model 3.

If it was Tesla automation credit, you would hear it from Tesla's public relations department via blog, twitter...

...can it bypass the driver’s accelerator input?

Autopilot is just like the good old fashion airline autopilot. Human can override automation at any time and very easily.

So easily that in some cases, pilots didn't know that they just disengaged the system.

Thus, Boeing has revised the system by making it harder to disengage the automatic system. A pilot needs to go through a specific procedure, specific steps to override the automatic system.

Lion Air pilots were fighting with the automatic system more than 2 dozens of times and human lost and the plane crashed.

Anyhow, Tesla is still holding on the old fashion way (not new Boeing's way): Human is the boss. Whenever automation detects human input, human wins.

That means if it detects pressure on the accelerator, the Emergency Automatic Brake is overridden, the smart cruise will not keep your car at a safe distance from hitting the car in front...

Last edited:
Because Tesla is NOT Waymo. With LIDAR on top, Waymo can detect 360 all around over 2 football fields away.
Current Tesla can only detect adjacent lanes and front and back.
The speeding car was not in an adjacent lane, so it cannot be Tesla automatic system that did the braking prior to the arrival to an adjacent lane.
The speeding car was not in front nor back, so it cannot be Tesla automatic system that did the braking to the prior to the arrival to the front.
After the braking, then the speeding car came into view to the front of the Model 3.
If it was Tesla automation credit, you would hear it from Tesla's public relations department via blog, twitter...
Sooo, you dont know and just assumed what you think is most logical supporting it by undeniable super precise diagram....
upload_2019-2-13_8-35-27.png

• Funny
Reactions: Max*