Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Close to buying a model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm very close to buying the model 3. I have accepted that there will be quality issues. My question is that are the paint problem most apply to the white (most people have the white) or it applies to all color? I really like the red or blue, but I don't want to pay the additional charges for paint that I know will be a problem. I can settle on white if that is the case. I also try calling tesla and try to get a final price on the car before I put in the nonrefundable deposit. They just refused to give me all the fees and the final price seems low compare to the price I see online.

Unsure on the paint aspect of your post, the latter point re total ‘all-in’ price i find hard to believe.

When i called wanting the same info, i got a data sheet emailed to me with my specs requested showing cash, lease and finance options. All included taxes and fess

The paint quality problem is way overblown, don't worry about it. The reason why white is popular is because they don't charge for it, all of the other colors are an up charge.

The price on the website is the price, just look at the real price and not the price with so called savings, the only additional fee is the destination charge which will vary by state, I paid around $1400 in MA.

Reactions: chrstna4 and Sam1
Well, what exactly do you mean by 'final price'. In Texas the buyer has to self-register the car with their local tax office at which point all taxes and registration fees are paid directly to the state. Tesla isn't involved in that aspect of the purchase whatsoever in Texas. As such, it's up to the buyer to figure what those fees will be and it's not difficult in the least. As for what you pay Tesla, it will be the price shown on the website plus the destination fee and the $100 you pay when you ordered. I bought a SR+ and the 'Subtotal' line is what the online price was at the time of purchase (currently $38,490).

1616251697019.png

If you go online at go through the order process you will be shown what you will owe Tesla. The items I put in the red boxes are the same line items from the above purchase order with the only difference being that the same configuration is currently $500 cheaper:
1616252317948.png

I'm very close to buying the model 3. I have accepted that there will be quality issues. My question is that are the paint problem most apply to the white (most people have the white) or it applies to all color? I really like the red or blue, but I don't want to pay the additional charges for paint that I know will be a problem. I can settle on white if that is the case. I also try calling tesla and try to get a final price on the car before I put in the nonrefundable deposit. They just refused to give me all the fees and the final price seems low compare to the price I see online.
I suppose there are some issues now and then but I really don’t think it’s as high as you think if you are on the forums all the time . We have a 3 and know 4 others with a 3, one with an S and another with an X and none of them have had any issues with paint or build quality. The cars are great.

I suppose there are some issues now and then but I really don’t think it’s as high as you think if you are on the forums all the time . We have a 3 and know 4 others with a 3, one with an S and another with an X and none of them have had any issues with paint or build quality. The cars are great.
I agree. I picked up my blue M3 almost a year ago. I didn't notice any quality issues like misaligned panels or glass or any problems with the interior either. The blue paint is beautiful and I have never experienced any issues with the paint either. I have not yet had any problems that have required service. I hope this keeps up, but so far I'm very happy with the car.